CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

Yep. Halloween was a giant domestically but shit OS (96M lmao not even 100M). So if Dune took Halloween week, it would be #2 dom behind Halloween (it's the mood in October that favors horror for obvious reason), while still facing NTTD OS where Bond will be massive. 

It's a tough spot anyway you slice it. 

Re: Chalamet. The biggest star in the world, who was also once the poster for a twink, now and then:

See The Cast of 'Titanic' Then and Now

[Titanic Cast Where Are They Now? | PEOPLE.com

Timmy will be fine. :)

1. TIMOTHEE IS HOSTING AND NOBODY BOTHERED TO TELL ME?????????????? FUCK ALL OF YALL

2. Jason Kilar, I will consider you the greatest CEO to ever live if you make this happen! I'm already drooling over this. Imagine: Timothee! Rebecca! Oscar! Together! Literally the most beautiful family ever conceived by humans! It's a gold mine Jason! Do it!

3. God, just imagine Timothee's suit! His eyes! His shoes! His hair! OML HIS HAIR WHY ARE YOU SO BEAUTIFUL MY BELOVED

4. All of you are going to come in with your whole "Timothee isn't hot actually. He's not cool actually. Eric get a life actually", and I know exactly who you are. And to that I say...you fuckers are lucky I'm a mod!

• Haha 3
  • Disbelief 1

https://deadline.com/2021/05/hollywood-att-warner-bros-hbo-max-streaming-dune-david-zaslav-1234758654/

Warner Bros had already reached a deal with Regal Cinemas to restore 45-day theatrical windows in 2022 before titles go to streaming. Dune, the high-profile Denis Villeneuve sci-fi remake out this fall, will test the new pattern sooner than planned, according to multiple sources. It will premiere in Venice in September ahead of an October theatrical run, with HBO Max availability coming at a to-be-determined date after that.

Given the Regal deal and other indications of the industry shifting back toward some theatrical exclusivity, the Dune plan isn’t a complete outlier, but it is certainly symbolic. Kilar’s insistence on ramming through the day-and-date approach earned him no shortage of resentment, even though dozens of profit participants have been paid out in settlements assuming success.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Happy for those involved wanting a full cinema release. It's got a really awkward release date though.

EDIT: 

Am I misreading this or has nothing really changed here? It’s still day and date on HBO Max in the US isn’t it? It sounds like its more that international gets a few weeks headstart which has been the case for a while now already (UK is September 17th pure theatrical).

36 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

Am I misreading this or has nothing really changed here? It’s still day and date on HBO Max in the US isn’t it? It sounds like its more that international gets a few weeks headstart which has been the case for a while now already (UK is September 17th pure theatrical).

Deadline's reporting sources are telling them that Warners is considering removing Dune from the simultaneous theatrical/streaming debut deal...but other sources are now apparently saying that it's staying right where it is.   

• Haha 1

Deadline rewrote the article.

The climate at AT&T-run WarnerMedia is already showing signs of shifting even before the deal close, which is expected in mid-2022. Deadline hears that Dune, the high-profile Denis Villeneuve sci-fi remake out this fall, will not adhere to the day-and-date release pattern established for the entire 2021 slate. Instead, it will premiere in Venice in September and then enter theaters for a time before finding its way to streaming service HBO Max.

Addressing the deviation in release plan, Warner Bros distribution chief Jeff Goldstein said there was “no change” to the October 1 date for Dune. The film, like the rest of the slate, will open in theaters the same day it arrives on HBO Max, he said.

https://deadline.com/2021/05/hollywood-att-warner-bros-hbo-max-streaming-dune-david-zaslav-1234758654/

Honestly it doesn't matter what Deadline or Warner says.

Wait for the new Rules & Elegibility from Oscar which should be revealed soon, they want this movie in the next award season and the Venice premiere just confirm this.

If the Academy say a movie needs to go exclusive theatrical first to have a shot at being nominated, Dune will go to theaters first.

18 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Honestly it doesn't matter what Deadline or Warner says.

Wait for the new Rules & Elegibility from Oscar which should be revealed soon, they want this movie in the next award season and the Venice premiere just confirm this.

If the Academy say a movie needs to go exclusive theatrical first to have a shot at being nominated, Dune will go to theaters first.

I don’t think the Academy is in much of a position to make demands at this point. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I don’t think the Academy is in much of a position to make demands at this point. 

That's not a demand, that's setting their own rules. They will likely return to the pre-COVID rule of requiring an exclusive theatrical release in the U.S. 

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

But they are in a position of make their own rules.

Nobody have to do what they want, but if Warner wants awards like Dune is aiming, they must do it.

Maybe they're hoping for another Joker situation?

But i doubt this can win golden lion, Joker win because it really tries in every frame to be an art house movie (and succeed). 

Despite that i'm sure if they're going to Venice the movie is great and the buzz alone is probably enough to justify the premiere, the movie will be released in october with possible oscar contender spread in the media, which can help especially if the movie is indeed palatable for GP unlike BR2049.

I only hope this have at least 150-160 minutes, it really needs to be long to be justified as an epic in LOTR style which is what they're aiming.

8 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Confirmed for Venice premiere. Which means it's not at Cannes.

I doubt Eternals will be at Cannes either, it's too early.

Ande sadly Marvel is a prisoner of not having the luxury of avoid spoilers, i don't see them risking it.

Closing Venice would be a more realistic expectation, but even that seems a little early for a november movie that can't get spoilers spreading.