CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

Just now, Morieris said:

Not familiar with Dune very much;

Are the characters normally this....slightly wryly humorous? I like it, but I get the feeling that's a directorial change.

It's a change though it fits Duncan's character. I'm very happy that they opted to write the dialog in more relaxed, warm manner instead of sticking to the book's very, how can I put it, stiff, formal, elaborate dialog that doesn't feel like something human beings ever say. 

• Like 2

On 7/20/2021 at 9:52 PM, Valonqar said:

SJ2 cost 150M and yet 31M OW (with a very bad internal multi) is hailed a win. So Dune opening in that range would be a win too, no? Point being, Dune isn't exactly a nobody flick. It's based on a masterpiece book so it has a very devoted fandom that is super excited that a great director ensembled a great cast. Coming from book fandom, I know what I'm talking about. Fans are legit excited. Previews are very focused on making it accessible to the uninitiated. Can't speak for people who are coming into this cold but there was a test screening review from someone who never read the book or saw the Lynch movie and they gave it 9/10. So I'd say it isn't a hard story to follow. I read the script and it's definitely easier read than the book but,again, I read the book so it isn't the same for me. Nevertheless, it's encouraging that someone new to this universe raved about it.

Moreover, new date is pretty good. Venom and NTTD will be 3 and 2 weeks into their runs respectively and both are opening weekend rush type of movies. So they won't be stealing Dune audience by the time Dune rolls out. Halloween Kills (a week earlier) and Last Night In Soho (a week later) cater to different audience. So Dune has 2 weeks before Eternals, the first true crossover audience competitor. It will be fine. 

I don't know much about SJ2, but I doubt people will be satisfied with 35m opening or 100m total even during pandemic era. This is supposed to be a new franchise for 2020s. Oct 22 could save Dune from excessive competition but its biggest competition is actually HBO max now. 

Edited by Borobudur
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Morieris said:

Not familiar with Dune very much;

Are the characters normally this....slightly wryly humorous? I like it, but I get the feeling that's a directorial change.

That stood out to me too, but if I’m honest I think it’ll help the film. If they presented it as dry as the book it’d stand no chance with general audiences.

3 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

I don't know much about SJ2, but I doubt people will be satisfied with 35m opening or 100m total even during pandemic era. This is supposed to be a new franchise for 2020s. Oct 22 could save Dune from excessive competition but its biggest competition is actually HBO max now. 

Its biggest competition is going to be the Delta variant. Hopefully it will have abated by the time October rolls around.

3 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

People complaining about the humor reminds me how LoTR fans (including myself!) complained about Merry and Pippin acting like clowns in the first LoTR movie. They'll get over it.

The humor seems a lot more dry than the kind of stuff in most big budget films, so I don't think it'll be a big issue. It's not like Leto said "They fly now?!?" or something lol

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

I think this does a great job of selling the movie to causal audiences if maybe the actual film isn't quite as crowd pleasing as the trailer suggests. 

In comparison to the marketing for BR2049 which was much more secretive and relied on the first one as well.

Indeed. It's funny that the movie with a trailer that checks all GA friendly boxes (beautiful cast, action, romance, spectacle, humor) is still considered a question mark when it comes to GA. And the property itself is far from unknown and while Lynch movie flopped, Sy Fy mini and its sequel were big wins for cable. 

On the side not, not trying to start a franchise war but humor here works much better, IMO, than humor that caps off trailers for movies from a certain mega brand famous for jokes and quips.

I am consciously avoiding all the trailers for this just like I do with MCU films because I am really hyped for this. I know very little about Dune, but Villeneuve is arguably one of my favorite contemporary directors. This and Eternals are arguably my most anticipated films of 2021.

• Like 1

Seems like they use Herbert's original pronunciation of Harkonnen (more Hárkonnen and less Harkónnen, as in Lynch's movie). I know that was Herbert's intent, but I've always prefered the other pronunciation

nvm

Pronunciation...heh. It may be one character. Sy Fy mini had different characters pronouncing the same names differently. Letto and Leeto. Chennie and Shaynie. Giddie Prime and Guydie Prime. It was very amusing. :lol:

Edited by Valonqar

I’m hopeful that HBO Max won’t hurt it as much as people seem to fear, it definitely looks epic in scale and like something that you want to watch on the biggest screen possible. GvK had a similar “see it big” feel to it and that did decently all things considered.

If the Delta variant has managed to burn out by then (and nothing worse rears it’s head), I’ll definitely be watching this in IMAX. October is looking fantastic.

Edited by SnokesLegs