CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

I'm a huge book fan but I understand that book and movie are 2 different media that require different approach. Therefore, I'm glad that the movie is taking a warmer, softer approach to Paul/Leto relationship as Dad/Son as opposed to book's Duke/Ducal Heir. Mind you, it isn't that Leto didn't love Paul in the book, but Herbert was only really interested in the dynastic implications so we got Duke's POV where he is worried about the heir and the house rather than son. Not that he isn't worried about the son's well-being but the book narrows the focus on dynastic worries. Likewise, while there are many relationships in the book that are warm by nature (family, romance, friendship), Herbert is not interested in that so they are presented through a more clinical, cold, hard sci fi eye. So IMO, if the movie removes that kind of filter and honors the emotion that comes from such relationships, as seems to be the case with Paul/Leto, Paul/Duncan, Paul/Chani, etc, more power to the movie. I really think it is the right approach. Book can afford characters who feel distant and not like human beings cause you can use imagination to fill in the blanks. But movies are different and such characters would be off putting. Moreover, re: Marvel jokes. Duncan is a chill character who would make such jokes if Herbert was interested to write them and Gurney is absolutely a deadpan type. So that's all in character. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Paul is very robotic in the book ha ha yes, weird and not quite human. So making him more relatable is a good thing. Herbert is great with world-building but characterization isn't in his interest sphere cause he views characters only as moving figures in his chess game. Jessica is the only fully realized character in the book, IMO.

13 minutes ago, AJG said:

I swear it was Part 1 and Part 2 before BvS hit.

There were supposed to be two more Justice League movies after the first one, and JL2 was supposed to end on a big cliffhanger. 

Back on topic, at this point, I think the chances of this movie getting a part two could go either way. 

2 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

It wasn’t planned to be two parts. It was supposed to be the third part of a five part story. 

They literally announced it as "Justice League Part One" and "Justice League Part Two". Whether Snyder wanted a third or didn't, only two ever got greenlit.

https://screenrant.com/justice-league-part-1-2-release-dates-zack-snyder/

Edited by SpiderByte

16 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

They literally announced it as "Justice League Part One" and "Justice League Part Two". Whether Snyder wanted a third or didn't, only two ever got greenlit.

https://screenrant.com/justice-league-part-1-2-release-dates-zack-snyder/

I’m aware of the 2014 DC slate. You’re not presenting any new information to me here. My point is that JL was not going to be a single story that would be split into two parts. Snyder had a five movie story arc planned that would’ve culminated in JL3. A more apt comparison would be to bring up how Lionsgate tried to split the final Divergent book into two movies, only for part two to never get made. If Dune doesn’t get a sequel, then it would be in the same boat as that. 

Edited by WittyUsername

If Part 2 gets made, do you guys reckon they will use some sort of deep fake or CGI face superimposed for Alia? I can imagine them using an adult actor's performance superimposed on a child's face and body.

I've got to hand it to Denis and his team, I never thought it would be possible, and I'm shocked that any filmmaker has managed to do it, but I'll say it. I'm straight up impressed. 

I mean, this is just remarkably drab looking. Amazing. Well done.

I don't know how you can take the incredibly weird and eccentric world of Dune and make it look like a semi-expensive live-action Halo commercial from 2011, but my God. They've pulled it off.

They've really brought the sheer diversity of the worlds and costumes to life. Browns, greys, brown-greys, greyish-browns, it's all here, baby!

Edited by TerwillikerInst
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, TerwillikerInst said:

I've got to hand it to Denis and his team, I never thought it would be possible, and I'm shocked that any filmmaker has managed to do it, but I'll say it. I'm straight up impressed. 

I mean, this is just remarkably drab looking. Amazing. Well done.

I don't know how you can take the incredibly weird and eccentric world of Dune and make it look like a semi-expensive live-action Halo commercial from 2011, but my God. They've pulled it off.

They've really brought the sheer diversity of the worlds and costumes to life. Browns, greys, brown-greys, greyish-browns, it's all here, baby!

Lucky you, they've already made sci-fi movies to your taste:

I'm not sure how they did in the box office, but with all the obvious demand for colorful, saturated sci-fi movies since Dune released its trailer, I have to assume they did amazing?

• Haha 2