CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

9 hours ago, Last Man Standing said:

Lucky you, they've already made sci-fi movies to your taste:

I'm not sure how they did in the box office, but with all the obvious demand for colorful, saturated sci-fi movies since Dune released its trailer, I have to assume they did amazing?

I don't know. How well did Blade Runner 2049 do again? I've forgotten.

Anyway, that was not the point I was making. I didn't bring either of those two movies, or their box office, up. 

Also, John Carter is very much *not* a colourful saturated sci-fi movie, lol. It's arguably even browner than Dune. 

Edited by TerwillikerInst

20 minutes ago, grim22 said:

"Dune: The Movie" does not exist anymore, literally all the online discourse is for "Dune: the incoming box office bomb" 

Because we all know a movie isn't anything more than the twitter conversation surrounding it

9 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

You literally cannot mention this movie online without someone piping up that it's gonna bomb. Maybe? A shitload of movies are bombing right now, I'm not sure what's with the obsession of this specific movie bombing, or what their reasoning is outside of "well Blade Runner 2049 bombed".

I guess it’s because out of all the big blockbusters coming out this year, this one has the most “prestige” associated with it. 

41 minutes ago, grim22 said:

"Dune: The Movie" does not exist anymore, literally all the online discourse is for "Dune: the incoming box office bomb" 

All the "Dune will bomb" commentary has me wondering if the risk is actually to the upside. We'll see what happens with the combo of Delta and a simultaneous HBO Max release, but based on the last trailer, I wouldn't necessarily bet against it. 

To put a personal lens on it, I spent some time with some non-cinephile friends last week and the new Dune trailer actually came up without any provocation on my end (can't recall ever discussing a new release with this group outside of the occasional Netflix show). The response was actually pretty positive - reasons cited were caliber of the cast and the scope. 

I mentioned the box office fears and they were surprised. When I brought up Blade Runner 2049 and the Villeneuve connection, the sentiment was that it wasn't comparable because Blade Runner looked "weird", whereas Dune is more akin to Star Wars.

Anyway, anecdotal evidence and all that, but food for thought.

Edited by daftcat

I think that it's better for Dune to have "will it flop?" expectations which are easy to exceed than "movie of the summer" ones that In the Heights had and failed to meet. These debates don't reach GA anyway so it isn't like they will run from Dune because some thinkpiece they won't read is wondering about its boxoffice prospect for clicks.

• Like 2

I'll say this about Warner Brothers, they definitely do take some risks. Making a Dune movie and another Suicide Squad movie when neither property is considered to be a guaranteed money maker is risky, though I suppose getting two well liked directors certainly helped to maybe tip the scales in their favor. 

And for whatever it's worth, I don't think this movie will bomb spectacularly, but it's possible. I'm personally not super interested in this but I may check it out eventually. The concern for general audience reception for this is very valid because at the end of the day they're the ones that will make any movie successful, not just the uber fans who are already locked in. I hope this movie finds some success.

• Like 1

Just popped in to say "JOHN CARTER is da bomb, yo"...in a good way!  😂  

This DUNE trailer makes things look way more appealing than the first obtuse teaser, but I still say this doesn't break even.

But as people have noted...what is, right now?  Cinema Life is complicated...the spice is flowing through unpredictable worms...  

This *may* get me out for a theatrical experience...but it will really depend on how things are as October rolls around.  

20 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

11M views on YouTube

Is almost surpassing Shang Chi second trailer

From purely anecdotal evidence and what I observed online, Dune has real passion while Shang Chi is basically "well it's Marvel so I'll see it" but I'm not getting an impression that people would care if it wasn't Marvel. I have a theory that franchise movies that do insane business are those that people would see if they weren't part of the franchise cause the concept clicked in the way that made the brand name secondary. While movies that are seen only because they are part of the brand do less in comparison. Not saying that Dune will open bigger cause it won't but I think it could exceed expectations (if BR2049 is the range) while Shang Chi could underperform relative to expectations whatever they are. 

Edited by Valonqar

16 hours ago, Valonqar said:

From purely anecdotal evidence and what I observed online, Dune has real passion while Shang Chi is basically "well it's Marvel so I'll see it" but I'm not getting an impression that people would care if it wasn't Marvel. I have a theory that franchise movies that do insane business are those that people would see if they weren't part of the franchise cause the concept clicked in the way that made the brand name secondary. While movies that are seen only because they are part of the brand do less in comparison. Not saying that Dune will open bigger cause it won't but I think it could exceed expectations (if BR2049 is the range) while Shang Chi could underperform relative to expectations whatever they are. 

makes sense. Shang Chi wont be making Black Widow money (imo)