CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

Huh???? 

What the hell Denis, he would need to change the story completely, Paul is the protagonist of the whole story and Chani has small role in the story. 

I get beefing the part a bit cos you got Zendaya for the role, but to this level?? 

Way to go, this movie doesn't have much going for it, alienating the books fanbase on top of that is genius move right here. And for what, since when Zendaya is any kind of proven Box Office draw?? 

Wierd flex all around for me. 

Not that part 2 will likely happen anyway. 

Edited by Movie nerd

Well he seems pretty confident that the sequel is happening.

I already said it and i still think the same, Warner shut his mouth about the day and date release with something. My bet: greenlight the sequel anyway with the excuse that this movie would never reach it's full potential so they will ignore it.

22 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Well he seems pretty confident that the sequel is happening.

I already said it and i still think the same, Warner shut his mouth about the day and date release with something. My bet: greenlight the sequel anyway with the excuse that this movie would never reach it's full potential so they will ignore it.

I can see it being greenlit anyway as a minimum direct-to-HBO Max release, b/c they apparently have those types of movies now, too...

But I doubt they greenlit the sequel as a definite theatrical release with no box office known yet...

58 minutes ago, Movie nerd said:

Huh???? 

What the hell Denis, he would need to change the story completely, Paul is the protagonist of the whole story and Chani has small role in the story. 

I get beefing the part a bit cos you got Zendaya for the role, but to this level?? 

Way to go, this movie doesn't have much going for it, alienating the books fanbase on top of that is genius move right here. And for what, since when Zendaya is any kind of proven Box Office draw?? 

Wierd flex all around for me. 

Not that part 2 will likely happen anyway. 

Probably something was lost in translation, I assume he means that'll she'll be in a lead role, similar to Rebecca Ferguson in this movie.

"There’s no such thing as Dune 1 and Dune 2. It’s Dune: Part One and Dune: Part Two," director Denis Villeneuve – best known for helming Arrival and Blade Runner 2049 – tells Total Film in the new issue of the magazine.

However, despite the sequel being a priority for Villeneuve, the filmmaker's Blade Runner sequel fell notably short at the box office. So what does Part One have to achieve for Part Two to become a reality? 

"We have been hearing in the past few decades that it’s not possible to adapt this book, and that it’s an impossible task. I think that in the back of the mind of the studio, it’s still the same!" Villeneuve says with a hearty laugh. 

"So the first thing was to prove that there was a beautiful, popular movie that can exist, and I think that I proved that – everybody at Warner Bros and Legendary, they are 100 percent behind the project. They feel that it would need a really bad outcome at the box office to not have a Dune: Part Two, because they love the movie. They are proud of the movie, so they want the movie to move forward. And they still did half of it. So, you know, I’m very optimistic."

Box-office numbers won't be quite as clear an indicator of success as they once were. In the US, Dune is also being released on HBO Max simultaneously with the theatrical release, a move that courted controversy, with Villeneuve himself writing an open letter in opposition.

"First of all, the enemy of cinema is the pandemic. That’s the thing. We understand that the cinema industry is under tremendous pressure right now. That I get," Villeneuve concedes adding, however, "The way it happened, I’m still not happy. Frankly, to watch Dune on a television, the best way I can compare it is to drive a speedboat in your bathtub. For me, it’s ridiculous. It’s a movie that has been made as a tribute to the big-screen experience."

https://www.gamesradar.com/amp/dune-2-is-not-a-sure-thing-but-director-denis-villeneuve-is-optimistic/?__twitter_impression=true&__twitter_impression=true

So, WB is really happy with Dune (which we already suppose considering they are pushing it on Venice and other big festivals).

They're probably is hoping this movie to grab some awards for them and they are really interested in do the Part 2.

It seems like the only thing that would make them cancel the other movie is if this one was a complete disaster on box office, which honestly i doubt it will happen. This cost 165M, if it does +200M despite pandemic and hybrid release and get good numbers om HBO Max, i'm pretty sure it will be enough.

"They're really happy with it!" feels like the new "This is the best time I've ever had making a movie!"

I would put on some objective glasses, even with Villeneuve.  Nothing is certain until we "see" the results, both the film itself, and how it performs and is received overall.  

Warners will continue to play the HBOMax streaming option as a win/win for them, but it's clear that it has impacted things across most of their major releases this year.  (I know I have stayed home, and will continue to do so, probably for the rest of the year.) 

F9, however, fully theatrical...remains one of the successes of the year, despite its reception(!)    

Edited by Macleod

This is releasing on September 17 in Russia, Finland, Estonia, Sweden, Iceland, Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Belgium and Mexico. I wonder how that will affect its performance in the US. Would good wom lead to a bigger opening or will NA audiences be over it by the time it finally premieres in the US?

Edited by DInky

6 hours ago, DInky said:

This is releasing on September 17 in Russia, Finland, Estonia, Sweden, Iceland, Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Belgium and Mexico. I wonder how that will affect its performance in the US. Would good wom lead to a bigger opening or will NA audiences be over it by the time it finally premieres in the US?

Maybe they're about to move the US release up to September too.