CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

More of a general question, but sort of related, who even is Paul in the book? I haven't read it, but usually for a renowned series I hear so much about I still tend to pick up at least what makes the main character(?) work or interesting. I don't know anything about Paul so does he have anything to do with why Dune is good, or is it almost entirely on the story/world?

12 minutes ago, Lucas said:

More of a general question, but sort of related, who even is Paul in the book? I haven't read it, but usually for a renowned series I hear so much about I still tend to pick up at least what makes the main character(?) work or interesting. I don't know anything about Paul so does he have anything to do with why Dune is good, or is it almost entirely on the story/world?

Paul in the books is a bit of a weirdo. He kind of exists between the present and several futures that he's constantly seeing. He does brood a fair bit, but he has reason to. Dune is indeed praised mostly for its worldbuilding, ideas, influence on the genre, and general message, more than for the characters, that is pretty standard for classic sci-fi.

Edited by Last Man Standing

2 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

Paul in the books is a bit of a weirdo. He kind of exists between the present and several futures that he's constantly seeing. He does brood a fair bit, but he has reason to. Dune is indeed praised mostly for its worldbuilding, ideas, influence on the genre, and general message, more than for the characters, that is pretty standard for classic sci-fi.

Thank you! That's gonna be a major disconnect for the general audience if they haven't found a way around it. Him constantly seeing futures also sounds like an eerie opportunity to go too far into my biggest fear that I mentioned earlier, about how it could be running mostly on the promise of substance in future films without having hardly any itself.

37 minutes ago, The Dark Shape said:

YES. It is like the Treebeard scenes!

BR2049 is slow but it has really solid characters at its core. Paul in this movie is Luke Skywalker’s boring broody little brother.

No, no you got it all wrong! :lol:Paul is Anakin or rather the other way around.Book spoiler:

He isn't a hero on a hero journey but a hero on a villain journey. It may not be obvious from Part 1 but yes he has a "terrible purpose" emphasis on terrible.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

No, no you got it all wrong! :lol:Paul is Anakin or rather the other way around.Book spoiler:

Hide contents

He isn't a hero on a hero journey but a hero on a villain journey. It may not be obvious from Part 1 but yes he has a "terrible purpose" emphasis on terrible.

Oh no no, I get that. He has a dream along those lines (so much of this movie’s running time is dreams of future events). But in THIS movie, as a character, he’s the dull center-piece.

41 minutes ago, The Dark Shape said:

BR2049 is slow but it has really solid characters at its core. Paul in this movie is Luke Skywalker’s boring broody little brother.

As if BR2049's K cannot be described as boring and brooding. Not that "i" would call him boring. People tend to quickly do that when a character isn't larger than life or doesn't have some quirks or charismatic traits.

The movie could be amazing, but the way its structured feels like they probably should have shot both parts simultaneously. Both to make sure there actually is a part 2, and to make sure the wait time between films isn't longer than a year.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I’m not surprised people are saying the movie is slow, but I wonder if that will hurt its Oscar chances. 

Oscars love slow movies...

What i fear is that the general audience won't turn out if they deem it slow aka boring.

Edited by Elessar

8 minutes ago, The Dark Shape said:

Oh no no, I get that. He has a dream along those lines (so much of this movie’s running time is dreams of future events). But in THIS movie, as a character, he’s the dull center-piece.

I understand. Mind you, that's in line with the book where Paul is a total cipher. He is surrounded by better characters - Jessica most of all, Stilgar, Baron Harkonnen, Duncan Idaho, Gurney Halleck. How did they fare? 

• Like 2