CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

Most critics on rotten tomatoes are easy to like movies, i doubt this is going down.

Top critics is more split and i expect it will keep this way. I'm betting around 74-78% with a 7.5 average or so because there are many people giving it 5/5.

But the overall critics are probably gonna eat this up, i think the movie will finish with 85-88% and around 8.0 average.

Also, reception on Venice seems absolutely normal to me. 180M budget scifi movies aren't exactly the type of movie that get only raves there.

Just to pull another recent sci-fi film from Venice, Ad Astra at this point had already basically settled at 80/100 on MetaCritic, it's doing better than Dune atm. on RT, it was at 85% with an 8.02/10 average. So the percentage was the same, but the average was a little lower (despite also having more top scores than Dune currently does). Ad Astra would settle on 83%, but with a lower average of 7.5.

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Lucas said:

I do agree with you, though maybe not to keep Dune safe from the 60s. At this point Joker had more extremes on both ends than Dune (six 100s, and one 20), I don't think Dune will get any 20s or lol a zero.

Just for comparison, for RT at this point Joker was sitting at 88% with an 8.7/10 average.

Out of curiousity, what are you using to check the RT scores of movies after N reviews?

27 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

Out of curiousity, what are you using to check the RT scores of movies after N reviews?

A mixture of things can be used. It's much easier for films with a slower rollout of reviews, archive.org can get you about as close as you'd like, for example it was very easy to find where Ad Astra was at 34 reviews.

adastra.png

If you are really miserable or want any kind of excuse to not get any work done, it can be done manually by checking All Critics and heading straight to the back, where all the first reviews are stored. Faaairly alright for lower numbers like 34, but not recommended for high numbers lol.

adastraa.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lucas said:

A mixture of things can be used. It's much easier for films with a slower rollout of reviews, archive.org can get you about as close as you'd like, for example it was very easy to find where Ad Astra was at 34 reviews.

adastra.png

If you are really miserable or want any kind of excuse to not get any work done, it can be done manually by checking All Critics and heading straight to the back, where all the first reviews are stored. Faaairly alright for lower numbers like 34, but not recommended for high numbers lol.

adastraa.png

Oh, I hoped for a more convenient tool!

Anyway as I said yesterday here in Italy the pre sales are really really solid, i have read on twitter same in Germany too.

I don't know about others european countries. 

From the actual previews I can say here it could beat the record for the best OW in the pandemic. Right now the record is at around 2-2.1 M for Black Widow. Surely It will beat Shang li which opened with 1.5 M. Previews are so much better than the last marvel movie. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, vale900 said:

Anyway as I said yesterday here in Italy the pre sales are really really solid, i have read on twitter same in Germany too.

From the actual previews I can say here it could beat the record for the best OW in the pandemic. Right now the record is at around 2-2.1 M for Black Widow. Surely It will beat Shang li which opened with 1.5 M. Previews are so much better than the last marvel movie. 

I can confirm it looks solid in Sweden too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vale900 said:

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

I can confirm it looks solid in Sweden too.

Most excellent! I really hope OS goes for it and makes up for HBO Max nonsense.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, vale900 said:

These are the 3 screenings in my theater for the first day (10 days before). And the first day is a Thursday!. 

E-nfVfUXMAE2NfO?format=png&name=smallE-ngCfAWUAcI83S?format=png&name=smallE-nfzvyWUAM7Zcn?format=png&name=small

Let's hope the love for fantasy genre drive European sale to save some face to the almost certain bomb in domestic market.  

On 9/6/2021 at 6:09 AM, Macleod said:

The only way to even have some indication would be if HBO/Warners tout the streaming numbers in the trades post-opening weekend.  If they don't...then we know it wasn't a substantial bump.  (Sounds like ZS's Justice League simply wasn't worth all the trouble, for instance...we didn't hear a peep out of Warners/HBO after it debuted on its viewing numbers.)

But yes, I'd veer towards believing that the simultaneous HBOMax debut in this COVID-era will only be a benefit DUNE's possibility of a sequel (no matter how much Villeneuve hates the choice), because they will be forgiving in this year of uncertainties.  Word of mouth and rewatchability will all matter.  We'll see...

After FG/SC success, if Venom 2 turns out to be a similar success, Dune will have less and less room to blame it on pandemic. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

BR2049 was in Top 15 Hollywood 2017 movies in Germany compared to 34th in USA, won't be surprised Dune doing well there.

here in Italy BD 2049 made  a 5.5 M total. Black Panther made 7.2 M 😅

Anyway yes in general BD 2049 did good OS with a 170M total. Only 11 M in china so 156 M OS without China.

If you remove from a lot of so called successfull movies of the last years the huge results in China maybe you get something arounf BD 2049 numbers.

They just have 50-75M more in the us and same in China. 

Edited by vale900

1 hour ago, vale900 said:

here in Italy BD 2049 made  a 5.5 M total. Black Panther made 7.2 M 😅

Yep MCU was pretty weak in Europe before Infinity War. Infinity War increased market a lot.

In Germany too BR2049 was bigger than Homecoming. FFH grew 70%. No Way Home will probably do 2-3x Dune there.

Edited by charlie Jatinder