CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

On 9/22/2021 at 5:03 AM, Last Man Standing said:

The Chinese trailer is out, it's more spoilery than the others, but it's by far the best imo:

Honestly I'm surprised how different it is to the others, I expected more or less the same trailer with Chinese subtitles, but it's basically a new trailer.

I don't see this one as more spoiler-y.  If anything, the American/western main trailer is -- as a very specific character fate is basically shown there (as well as another character's reaction to it).  For people who haven't read the book (and I haven't, admittedly), this trailer doesn't make any more sense than the western ones.  😂  

Just left the film. 

It's visually gorgeous, the cinematographer really outdid himself with some of the shots that involved the Bene Gesserits and the women. The score is great, and the production design is near flawless. 

As for the story...I would confidently say it begins much better than it ends. The first hour and fifteen minutes had a lot of mystery and intrigue with strong world building, and maintains that grip until

Paul and Jessica fall from the plane.

The next hour there is a big problem in pacing where everything slows down too much and is unable to command the audience's attention nearly as much.

I think the first 75 minutes are great and would have given this film an A, but with the last half, I would give it a B/B+.

Still, a big success and I can't wait until the sequel. 

A strong soundtrack, too, but goddamn, the cinematography is insane.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Noctis said:

Just left the film. 

It's visually gorgeous, the cinematographer really outdid himself with some of the shots that involved the Bene Gesserits and the women. The score is great, and the production design is near flawless. 

As for the story...I would confidently say it begins much better than it ends. The first hour and fifteen minutes had a lot of mystery and intrigue with strong world building, and maintains that grip until

Reveal hidden contents

The next hour there is a big problem in pacing where everything slows down too much and is unable to command the audience's attention nearly as much.

I think the first 75 minutes are great and would have given this film an A, but with the last half, I would give it a B/B+.

Still, a big success and I can't wait until the sequel. 

A strong soundtrack, too, but goddamn, the cinematography is insane.

I saw some comments from the trailer that the color-grading is too gray and dark and not vibrant like how Deakins did Blade Runner 2049. How do you feel about it now that you've seen it?

2 minutes ago, nguyenkhoi282 said:

I saw some comments from the trailer that the color-grading is too gray and dark and not vibrant like how Deakins did Blade Runner 2049. How do you feel about it now that you've seen it?

It's not exactly a colorful saturated film, but that doesn't mean it's too dark. It was easy to make out everything in my opinion. The cinematography was very clear. 

I'm more curious @Noctishad any thoughts on the sound design and if the dialogue was a tad quiet (overpowered by the soundtrack) in some parts during his showing like mine.

1 hour ago, nguyenkhoi282 said:

This is the film's weak point visually. There are a handful of scenes where it is really difficult to see what is going on, and one of them was a VERY important scene that I am stunned was not even watchable. 

1 hour ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

It's not exactly a colorful saturated film, but that doesn't mean it's too dark. It was easy to make out everything in my opinion. The cinematography was very clear. 

I'm more curious @Noctishad any thoughts on the sound design and if the dialogue was a tad quiet (overpowered by the soundtrack) in some parts during his showing like mine.

Great soundtrack but whenever they spoke in the native tongue, there were parts that were difficult to hear.

Actually, looking back, I did revert to the subtitles more than a few times when they were speaking in English.

Edited by Noctis
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Noctis said:

This is the film's weak point visually. There are a handful of scenes where it is really difficult to see what is going on, and one of them was a VERY important scene that I am stunned was not even watchable. 

I feel like that's the style of Greig Fraser. "Lion" and "Rogue One" both have very beautiful cinematography yet the color grading is also dark and gritty, quite similar to Dune (at least from the trailer). 

34 minutes ago, iamjesuisiam said:

Sorry for my poor english.1632599134-dune1.png

Legs are strong in France. I screen my theater, 300 seats, 80 % occupancy. 

The film starts in 5 minutes.

https://www.noelshack.com/2021-38-6-1632599134-dune1.png  

We love international numbers for Dune so you might also like to check out and post in this thread:

:welcome:

24 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

Dune is now standing at 91% tomato rating and 8.0 average with 74 reviews. Or as the people who edit thread titles around here would say, mixed reception.

The last 21 reviews have all been positive.  Seems there were some Lynch apologists in the first wave.