CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

OW was fine but BW opened bigger even with PA.

What kind of comparison is that? OG Avenger vs unknown character, obviously one will have more hype. BW was a triple digit opener without PA. And lest we forget SC was projected by many on this very site to do in the 30-40 range and opened to 75. Also how can 75 be fine but 90 is "mind-blowing", 15 million really counts that much for you?

SC seems to be doing quite well, all things considered, but it seems like the most important thing it did was point to people being willing to return to theaters in a big way even with Delta.  BW came out before things went truly off the rails, so I honestly wasn't sure how SC was going to do with no PA. I think it showed there was a willingness to go to the theater by enough people to make a movie of that scope and budget successful.  Certainly, it impacted Venom, and probably kept Eternals theater only, or at least was a big part of that decision. 

As for Dune, I'm glad to get to see it on HBO and not have to pay, but it is definitely leaving money on the table. Maybe that's worth it to them in the long run.  I don't actually know any real life person who signed up for HBO and pays for it, just a few who did the free trial and then the rest of us AT&T people getting it for free. But, they clearly  have a strategy they are sticking with very hard.

• ...wtf 1

5 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Unknown characters can open just as big. TWS opened with 95M and GOTG with 94M in the same year. 

But anyway, like I said, SC was made for China and that's where things didn't go as planned. 

But it isn't the expectation. By that logic BP showed solo films can open higher than Avengers so SC should have beaten Endgame.

Nobody says that SC isn't doing well but it's a fact of life that they counted on China to inflate it and it didn't happen cause China locked the door. Boxoffice is fine for what it is and greatly helped by no competition. I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up with bigger dom gross than Venom when all is said and done cause Venom will face massive competition from the get go. OS, however, both Venom and NTTD will obliterate SC even without China. Europe didn't care all that much for SC. Dune already made more there from later release.

Edited by Valonqar

4 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Nobody says that SC isn't doing well but it's a fact of life that they counted on China to inflate it and it didn't happen cause China locked the door. Boxoffice is fine for what it is and greatly helped by no competition. 

Your original post claimed that SC Dom was "fine" and Venom Dom was "mind blowing"

I fail to see how there can be only a 14 million difference between "fine" and "mind blowing"

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Venom dom is mind-blowing. It's Venom, a not very well received franchise. That the sequel blew up like that is impressive. Shows that the first movie was way more liked than given credit for. Egg in critic's face. 🥚

SC doing 75M not only being a first movie but also in the middle of Delta peak is equally impressive. The proof is that Sony themselves decided to release their movie a bit earlier because of SC numbers.

If it opens this weekend it would do Venom numbers too. 

This isn't SC thread so this is probably be my final post about it, but minimize it's success after all that it did seems like unnecessary piss on the grave.

Back in May - July there was this very strong feeling of normalcy on US, so yeah the movies did good numbers there.

After July what we saw are lots of box office bombs, terrible OS results, articles week after week spreading doom and gloom, massive increases of COVID cases and deaths, massive decrease of people comfortable going into a theater and infos of studios panicking.

In the middle of this hell, Shang Chi despite being the first movie of an Z List oriental character manage to be the second biggest OW since last March with superb reception and good legs, bringing back the feeling of confidence and the proof that people still are going to theaters, what gave to pretty much all the studios relief and even made them do some changes like Venom going back up again, and the confirmation that NTTD is really releasing.

Now that things are starting to decrease again COVID wise and we're thankfully seeing other big movies doing great business it's very easy to look back to SC performance and call the first +200M grosser of the last 20 months a "fine but not impressive result", to me seems absurd.

I don't even watch the movie yet so i'm not defending it because i like it or something, just because it's a very important project for these uncertain times and should be seen this way. Yes, it didn't reach it's full potential but it's not the movie fault that some people at China was offended by it's existence without any significant reason (considering they didn't watch it), otherwise instead of a 420M finish we would be looking to a possible +600M grosser.

Going back to Dune, this is also a movie that it's gonna be released in a though position because of HBO Max and should be treated with fair judgment, so if anyone minimize it's numbers (which thankfully could be +350M) i will argue the same.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

This isn't SC thread so this is probably be my final post about it, but minimize it's success after all that it did seems like unnecessary piss on the grave.

Back in May - July there was this very strong feeling of normalcy on US, so yeah the movies did good numbers there.

After July what we saw are lots of box office bombs, terrible OS results, articles week after week spreading doom and gloom, massive increases of COVID cases and deaths, massive decrease of people comfortable going into a theater and infos of studios panicking.

In the middle of this hell, Shang Chi despite being the first movie of an Z List oriental character manage to be the second biggest OW since last March with superb reception and good legs, bringing back the feeling of confidence and the proof that people still are going to theaters, what gave to pretty much all the studios relief and even made them do some changes like Venom going back up again, and the confirmation that NTTD is really releasing.

Now that things are starting to decrease again COVID wise and we're thankfully seeing other big movies doing great business it's very easy to look back to SC performance and call the first +200M grosser of the last 20 months a "fine but not impressive result", to me seems absurd.

I don't even watch the movie yet so i'm not defending it because i like it or something, just because it's a very important project for these uncertain times and should be seen this way. Yes, it didn't reach it's full potential but it's not the movie fault that some people at China was offended by it's existence without any significant reason (considering they didn't watch it), otherwise instead of a 420M finish we would be looking to a possible +600M grosser.

Going back to Dune, this is also a movie that it's gonna be released in a though position because of HBO Max and should be treated with fair judgment, so if anyone minimize it's numbers (which thankfully could be +350M) i will argue the same.

With 100 international already in the bank, it will likely cross 300 mil WW. And with those numbers, we will likely see a sequel, which is all anyone wants. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

I would encourage all Dune and Matrix fans to raise a petition on change.org and get tons of signatures to make it theatrical release.

I for one will be enjoying Dune and The Matrix in my home as I got no time to die at the theater.

• Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 2

5 hours ago, tonytr87 said:

There have been no cases tied to movie theaters. And if you're vaccinated...like, what? 

Even if you would have never been, you first need to get it and after that the complication death rate before therapy knowledge got advanced like today looked like this:

\London-Table-1.png

Outside of a special pre-condition case, if you under 45 that a bit of a dramatic take. If you put the chance to get infected in a single masked movie theater session in the current relative low covid environment to 0.5% and the chance to dying from said infection at 0.03% that a one in a 666,666 chance.

odds of being struck by lightning in a given year are only around 1 in 500,000.

Someone that work outside (or play golf) probably has a lot more chance to be struck by lighting than that for a reference (specially if you are in Texas or Florida could be more than 10 time more likely).

If you are fully vaccinated you can make that between 10 to 50 time less likely....

Edited by Barnack

2 hours ago, Barnack said:

Even if you would have never been, you first need to get it and after that the complication death rate before therapy knowledge got advanced like today looked like this:

\London-Table-1.png

Outside of a special pre-condition case, if you under 45 that a bit of a dramatic take. If you put the chance to get infected in a single masked movie theater session in the current relative low covid environment to 0.5% and the chance to dying from said infection at 0.03% that a one in a 666,666 chance.

odds of being struck by lightning in a given year are only around 1 in 500,000.

Someone that work outside (or play golf) probably has a lot more chance to be struck by lighting than that for a reference (specially if you are in Texas or Florida could be more than 10 time more likely).

If you are fully vaccinated you can make that between 10 to 50 time less likely....

Comparing the chances of something happening in a year to the chances of happening in 2.5 hours seems strange.

14 hours ago, Cruel Summer said:

these numbers seem underwhelming, unless there are still major markets to open

The only major markets in which it has opened are Italy, Spain, France, Germany and Russia. Make your counts. 

Edited by vale900

12 hours ago, ZackM said:

Comparing the chances of something happening in a year to the chances of happening in 2.5 hours seems strange.

If the chance of being struck by lighting during a giving year was not a common this is rare landmark. And if the person did talk about the high chance of a specific event and not an year long habit.

Compare if you get covid to your usual death probability (unvacinnated) from all cause in a year in a way to see it:

EYdd-PvXQAE72t2.jpg.810ead053a83da0a58f0

Divided by 10 to 50 if you are fully vax, again maybe the poster is above 50 or have serious pre-condition, but that sound hyper dramatic (or some trolling-Internet hyperbole), for a young unvaccinated person getting covid add 10% chance (to a virtually nill number) of dying this year (when for an elderly if make their already high chance of dying 30-40% higher during a year). 

Edited by Barnack