CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

1 minute ago, terrestrial said:

Have not seen him in a ~ quiet strength role (as I imagine the character, probably based on Jürgen Prochnow's interpretation) beside in Bourne Legacy, but that was a very much other kind of role

Watch him in A Most Violent Year for the strength and Inside Llewyn Davis for the weariness.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Watch him in A Most Violent Year for the strength and Inside Llewyn Davis for the weariness.

I've seen some clips of Inside Llewyn Davis at YT, one of the reasons I think he can play different roles (in combination to the titles I have seen fully and other titles's clips), A Most Violent Year's story/summary does not ~ speak to me, but thank you very much for the suggestions.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Panda said:

I think this could turn into a LOTR type of hit if it’s marketed right

I think the fandom per the books is not big enough for that. Marketed right, an exceptional great product value, cast, script, .... movie and so on... maybe, never say never but....

LotR still #1 (ignoring religion....) with 150m sold print copies

Dune 20m....

(single books)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_books

Be aware, the list there is really not complete, at least one book series is missing, see this publisher

https://www.hachette.com.au/j-d-robb/

numbers of authors ignoring additional pen names or isnt up to date in the articles used as sources and so on

Edited by terrestrial

6 hours ago, terrestrial said:

I think the fandom per the books is not big enough for that. Marketed right, an exceptional great product value, cast, script, .... movie and so on... maybe, never say never but....

LotR still #1 (ignoring religion....) with 150m sold print copies

Dune 20m....

(single books)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_books

Be aware, the list there is really not complete, at least one book series is missing, see this publisher

https://www.hachette.com.au/j-d-robb/

numbers of authors ignoring additional pen names or isnt up to date in the articles used as sources and so on

Are you talking about LOTR booksales pre or post movie

23 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Are you talking about LOTR booksales pre or post movie

the link is for more or less actual numbers (they need to update some titles at least there)

E.g. the 150m number for LotR is seemingly from 2007

Around the release to 2-3years later it was seemingly 50m (added: ww) with e.g. 2m Paperback copies sold in the US within 3 years after the first movie. I write seemingly as the text can also be understood the other way around too, like 50m since (the article wikipedia linked it to is difficult to reach from my location, strangely even with VPN)

Just found this:

NewYorker article from 2001 added

By the end of 1968, total readership of the trilogy was thought to stand at around fifty million.

So it was seemingly meant the other way around as I assumed, not like the wiki-entry made it sound like.

Tolkien sales remained earthbound until 1965, at which point the three parts of the novel were clamped together and published in America as an unauthorized one-volume paperback; five months later, an official equivalent hit the bookshops, whereupon sales went through the roof and never came back down.

Additional to the 2m sold books after the release, they sold 25m books around the Tolkien world and films in the same time-span. Not sure if the Lynch version caused something similar, but the Lynch version was 'only' one movie = less time for impact and it was earlier, it is not meant in any way negatively, only to compare potential GA awareness.

What was also a huge thing were the LotR audio tapes in the '70... in the US, and also the radio audio dramatisations.

In especial the 1981 BBC version (cast included Ian Holm as Frodo btw) reached a lot of people, is still loved here.

Some got it the as a copy of a copy of... as an audio tape with a bad sound quality and they were still enthusiastic

Here in Germany there was a 30-part version in the '90, a lot of ppl heard it then.

What LotR also had and I think Dune does not, was at the time of the filming... it had a rather active organised fandom, and / also charity things and so on.

Might be bcs Tolkien held contact to fans and used them vs a bad publishers, see as ACE books released an unauthorised and unpaid version in the US they made a lot of pressure till ACE pulled it and paid up.

The illustrated anniversary publication of LotR that he did during his life-time (he died in 1973) with the then very young artists, both decades later helping Jackson, caused a lot of calendars... that ended in then YA Peter Jackson's room and was according to him the reason and goal.

I've seen those LotR designs way before the movie, including in the ~ '70/'80 as drawings by relatives and so on, never saw something similar in amount and variety for Dune (maybe the reader are older, less female, or...)

The studio/distributor and... for the LotR movies did a lot beforehand incl supporting book sales before the release... , pushed the buzz way earlier and higher than the average did, plus the budget for the world-building... was high too, prep time... Not sure of they plan to support Dune in a similar way

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

zendaya is chani?

Not very inspiring considering that they are putting her in absolutely everything. Surely they could have found a fresher face? It's also becoming a joke that she's up for every character that's redhead (MJ, Ariel, Chani).

@filmlover Yep, like they really wanted Kitch, Hunnam, Fassbender, etc to happen. Overexposure is not the way to audience hearts.

Edited by Valonqar

5 minutes ago, The Panda said:

People complaining about Zendaya being in movies are silly.  She’s not in that many things.

What, she was in Showman and had a small role in Spidey?

She also has a new show on HBO coming up soon, I believe.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1