CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

Are they really going to be this predictable? overexposure incoming:

runs to IMDb.com.... ?????

58 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Not very inspiring considering that they are putting her in absolutely everything. Surely they could have found a fresher face? It's also becoming a joke that she's up for every character that's redhead (MJ, Ariel, Chani).

@filmlover Yep, like they really wanted Kitch, Hunnam, Fassbender, etc to happen. Overexposure is not the way to audience hearts.

She is a 22year old actress who did teen tv-roles and 2 movies (seemingly a short part in one of them)

Me personally have not seen her in anything (yes, I still have not seen Homecoming, but I discussed it with my pupils that did have seen it)

If that calls for a fresher face than I am assuming you being a bit too jaded maybe?

35 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Zendaya casting almost guarantees Elba as Stilgar cause Chani's Stilgar's niece, his sister's daughter,  and her father Liet-Kynes was Brad Pitt-like blondie. I don't know who else is in Elba's age range, Ejiofor? 

I have no idea ho you got to that conclusion and do not understand all of it.

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

Not very inspiring considering that they are putting her in absolutely everything. Surely they could have found a fresher face? It's also becoming a joke that she's up for every character that's redhead (MJ, Ariel, Chani).

Lol Chani is a redhead? Remember her from the 1992 Virgin Games version where she wasn't.

MvisK.png

^This game had no chill btw with the 'Stop Talking' option.

41 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

It was Dune... before Isaac and Zendaya were "announced". :gold:

My thoughts exactly. Isaac is wrong period, cause he's too short and doesn't have regal-ness for the part. 

Zendaya is a celebrity. It's impossible for me to see a character though Chani is a barely a character, just a glorified love interest with some action thrown in (that's off screen in the book).  

I wanted to call this casting cause yet another redhead that they see Zendaya fit for for some reason, but thought, nah, they can't be that predictable. oops, they can! 

@terrestrial By fresher I meant less exposed. She's overexposed. I like her in general but not for this movie.

@Spidey Freak yes, her description in the book is redhead with Elfin face.

Chani Kynes - skinny redhead

“…and a girl there—very skinny with big eyes. Her eyes are all blue, no whites in them.” Paul describing his dreams of Chani, from chapter 1 of Dune.

“...he saw an elfin face, black pits of eyes.” Paul seeing Chani for the first time. From chapter 2 of Dune.

“There was Chani’s red hair...” Description of Ghanima, from Children of Dune.

Also, Zendaya is anything but Elfin. want Elfin, that's Amandla Stenberg.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Thanks 1

I rather Hollywood pushing Zendaya down or throats than another white person. We need to show white kids they can look up to people of different races. Enough with these movies with white couples already. Plus, she seems to be very talented, she was one the few good things in that horrible Spider-man movie. Let the girl become one of the next big stars.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

By fresher I meant less exposed. She's overexposed.

Not according to her IMDb entries.

By far.

A small role in a movie, a supporting role in another movie. 3-4 future movie projects (1x post for 2019, 1x pre for 2020, 1x announced for unknown year, a maybe involvement in Dune).

All in seemingly very differing genres (Homecoming and Dune have some Sci-Fi overlapping, but not in a comparable way).

TV is not cinema.

Teen TV-career is not really connected to growing slowly into a more adult (still playing a young/soft character) big screen career (plus TV)

US children and youth program is not the same as worldwide cinema

As said, I have not seen her in anything, asked my son, who does watch a bit other tv series like me (he is older than her a little bit), he too never saw anything with her, didn't recognise the pics I showed him (he has good memory for ... females 😉 )

The cast in this is fantastic, I really think Villeneuve has the potential to pull off his best here (and that’s saying something)

And still, lol at people who said in the Nolan movie thread that Villeneuve only casts white males too.  This is looking like a pretty diverse, star powered cast.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Zendaya has been in Disney Channel series, then slept through the awful SMH. How does she have so many fans already? I was hoping for an actress of Middle-Eastern origin but since Hollywood couldn't even find one for Aladdin...

As for Isaac, it would be distracting to see him in Dune right after Star Wars, where he wasn't particularly brilliant or charismatic anyway. Not to mention :apocalypse:. He may be more suited to intimate dramas like Llewyn Davis than epic blockbusters.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Villeneuve only casts white males too

Strange thing to say of the director of Maelstrom, Incendies,  Un 32 août sur terre, Polytechnique, Sicario and Arrival. Not sure if even half of is movies had a male lead.

Edited by Barnack
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

Strange think to say of the director of Maelstrom, Incendies,  Un 32 août sur terre, Polytechnique, Sicario and Arrival. Not sure if even half of is movies had a male lead.

I agree, it wasn’t me who said it.  The criticism completely baffled me.

Honestly, I don’t really get the Villeneuve/Nolan comps.  Villeneuve isn’t as commercial and has much quieter, more contemplative films.

• Like 2

Just now, terrestrial said:

Not according to her IMDb entries.

I'm not talking about IMDB. It's just perception that she's Taylor Swift-level media presence. But fair enough, maybe I'm wrong. Like I said, the role is nothing special and only a dream cameo in the first part of the book (that would be Dune Pt 1 in movie version). 

14 minutes ago, The Panda said:

star powered cast.

LOL, what stars? None of them opened a movie on their name alone. When that happens we can talk about star power. 

But if Denis casts Denzel or Willy as Stilgar...

@MrGlass2

He may be more suited to intimate dramas like Llewyn Davis than epic blockbusters.

This. I smell another Farrell here. Much more effective in smaller movies than in big epics where he feels lost and phones it in.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

The shipping wars between Holland/Zendaya and Chalamet/Zendaya are going to be wild

OMG, that could be the root for some of the strange pics I found an hour ago

46 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Lol Chani is a redhead? Remember her from the 1992 Virgin Games version where she wasn't.

In the books she is described as redhead

In my mind she looks like in Lynch's version (hairs in especial, as I am face-blind)

DUNE_CHANI_EXCLUSIVE_.jpg

MV5BMjIxNDQ0NjkwN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzUy

That is btw the same actress who played Rachael in Blade Runner (original version)

MV5BMjAyMDg5NDYxMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjI3

casting search had this description:

CHANI: A young woman (18-23) from the Fremen on Arrakis (Dune) who will have an immediate emotional connection with Paul, the lead character (Chalamet). The studio is searching for actresses of Middle Eastern, African, or Latin/Hispanic descent.

Reminds me about the time so many ppl where angry bcs Hugh Jackman's height is too high for being able to play Wolverine....

Edited by terrestrial