CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 2:24 PM, TalismanRing said:

I thought the great success of LOTR  and then Potter would harbinger an era of great fantasy films.  But studios were so hot to jump on the bandwagon they produced a bunch of junk and killed it - either by making films from fad junk novels (Eragon) turning lovely series (The Dark is Rising, Earthsea) into hot garbage,  making original bilge ( Lady in the Water),  doing bad adaptations of games (Dungeons & Dragons, Warcraft) or animation ( Avatar: The  Last Airbender) or shooting themselves in the foot with the director and wrong lead (John Carter). :angry:

Every time a film is a huge hit, every studio tries to cash in with wannabe films.. I am sure there were dozens of wannabe ripoffs of "The Great Train Robbery" back in 1902.

But I really, really, hate what they did to "Earthsea".

The Narnia series did fairly well for the first couple of films, then folded up.  Most of the Potter/LOTR wannbes were flops.It's like they tried to get a trend started, but failed.

On the other hand New Line had a hot mess  and a box office disasterwith "His Dark Materials",which they obviousl;y expected to be another LOTR  but the new BBC miniseries

pretty much nailed the books.

Hell, people tried to ripoff LOTR before it opened. The D and D movie opened a couple of weeks before FOTR. Not unusual for a studio, when it thinks another studio is going to have a big hit, to rush a film into production to try to beat it to the box office.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 2

Oscar Isaac on his thoughts of Denis Villeneuve’s ‘DUNE’:

“There are some things that are, for lack of a better word, nightmarish about what you see. There’s just this kind of brutalist element to it. It’s shocking, scary & very visceral.”

Isaac should say it is f-u-n (FUNE). A fun Christmas movie for the whole family.

Edited by MrGlass2

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 2:11 PM, MrGlass2 said:

I would love it if science-fiction classics automatically became "biggest ever" movies, maybe Hollywood would adapt more than one per decade then - instead of ever more obscure CBMs. But that's unlikely.

On the other hand, Hollywood has not done very well adapting Classic Sci Fi novels to the big screen. I give you "I Robot" as an example.

4 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

I, ROBOT is decent enough. 

PUPPET MASTERS, though....

God, yes. I Robot was OK if you could forget how shallow it was compared to the Asimov novel, but Puppet Masters made Robert Heinlein turn over in his grave.  His comments on that film if he had been alive when it was made would have been great to read.

And though it has quite a few fans, I don't care for Starship Troopers because it is such a distortion of Heinlein's novel.

Movies have not been kind to Heinlein.

And Stranger in a Strange Land has been optioned and consigned to development hell by just about every major studio. Main reason is script problems; it's a really hard novel to adapt to the screen.

Edited by dudalb

Was there footage of this during the montage that WB created for CCXP? I know it featured footage from the likes of Tenet, Godzilla vs. Kong, and the new unreleased Birds of Prey trailer.

They may be changing their marketing all around but it would be nice to see a small teaser attached to Star Wars.

Edited by JGAR4LIFE

2 minutes ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

Was there footage of this during the montage that WB created for CCXP? I know it featured footage from the likes of Tenet, Godzilla vs. Kong, and the new unreleased Birds of Prey trailer.

They may be changing their marketing all around but it would be nice to see a small teaser attached to Star Wars.

I don't think Disney is going to do Warners a favor by attaching a trailer for a Warners movie to TROS.

Warners could release a trailer in hopes of it being shown with TROS, but that is different then an attachement.

I, Robot was extremely disappointing, even more so because it is one of the very few (alleged) adaptations of the Robots/Empire/Foundation series ever, along with Bicentennial Man. Thankfully Tim Apple is spending some of his billions to make one of those prestige TV dramas adapting Foundation on screen, finally. (though I just looked it up and one of the co-creators left before production so... let's hope for the best)

3 hours ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

I 100% agree with Denis Villeneuve winning an award such as this; I think he is potentially the one director that uniquely embodies the 2010s like very few directors do. This was the decade in which he debuted and the decade in which he made his mark. Here's to a bright future for a talented visionary.

• Like 3
  • Knock It Off 1

5 minutes ago, SLAM! said:

I 100% agree with Denis Villeneuve winning an award such as this; I think he is potentially the one director that uniquely embodies the 2010s like very few directors do. This was the decade in which he debuted and the decade in which he made his mark. Here's to a bright future for a talented visionary.

I wish they would’ve gotten him to direct the new Batman movie. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Projected Domestic Top 20 for 2020:

1. Wonder Woman - $493.6 million
  2. Dune - $472.6 million
  3. Fast & Furious 9 - $357.8 million

What in the hell is this....

Dune will be lucky if it can double BR2049 domestically, much less sniff half a billion. 

And FF9 losing the Rock but going up nearly 60% domestically?!?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

Yea you're right, it's the remake of a cult film that bombed....

And LOTR was a remake of a cult film (the 1978 Bashki Animated version) that bombed.

Question is can VIllenueve make a film of the novel that will appeal to the general audience in a way that the Lynch film did not.

Certainly the novel has all the ingrediants for a successful film;it's all in the execution.

• Knock It Off 1