CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

There's no reason to make it R tbh. That said, Joker proved that R can be as big as PG-13. But that rating isn't necessary for Dune. No nudity, no language and violence doesn't have to be graphic even if done with kryss knives.

Edited by Valonqar

23 hours ago, DAJK said:

Only thing that gives me pause is Villeneuve. No doubt he makes great movies, but his films aren't exactly accessible blockbusters to the GA. I know Dune is a heavy/complex source material, but for this to catch on like LOTR, it has to be something the GA can enjoy. I liked BR2049, but I can understand why non-fanboys would have either disliked it or it simply didn't resonate with audiences. 

A lot depends on how well V Illeneuve handles the exposition. The crappy exposition in the Lynch version is a major reason why that film flopped.

I like a lot of Lynch's work but he was a bad choice for "Dune".

But at least Villeneuve gets you cannot tell the story of "Dune" in just one film..even a three hour one. It needs to be Multipart, like LOTR.

Of course, one big reason Warners is putting up so much money is if it's a huge hit, they got a franchise on their hands,given all the Dune novels out there. Even if you decide not to film the sequels that Frank Herbert did not write (probably a good idea given their generally low quality) you have a long running franchise on your hands.

3 minutes ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

This is a Legendary film. WB is distributing I think.

I don’t know if that should be considered worrisome or not. Legendary doesn’t have the best track record when it comes to greenlighting ideas. Even Detective Pikachu only did alright, which was a big surprise to people like me.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

whether something looks great isn't the only reason for success. Didn't geeks cream all over BR2049 trailer visuals but GA was left cold? 

I have no doubt that Dune will look amazing and there are resonant characters as well. I'm just saying that we've gone through early overhype due to 2 min or so of footage before. reminder that CinemaCon was praising Nutcracker footage/trailer and expected big things from it. 

But did anyone say BR2049 or Tree of Life/Gravity/Dunkirk will be a watershed moment like SW 40 years ago or LOTR 20 years ago? I don't think so. And i don't think it's purely visuals he was amazed by.

Again, it is one man's opinion, we'll see what word is closer to release. I just want to be excited for something for once, there's so little to be excited about these days movie wise.

Edited by Elessar

5 minutes ago, Elessar said:

But did anyone say BR2049 or Tree of Life/Gravity/Dunkirk will be a watershed moment like SW 40 years ago or LOTR 20 years ago? I don't think so. And i don't think it's purely visuals he was amazed by.

the book was so the movie stands a good chance too. 

3 hours ago, Valonqar said:

it's easy to say something will have that impact when, you know, the book had it already. SW is largely inspired by it, for example. 

While Dune is an all-time classic of science-fiction, I'm not sure that it is popular enough these days to be a huge factor in the success of a blockbuster adaptation. It isn't LOTR in terms of mainstream appeal. Best case scenario, the movie will make the books popular (again), like Game of Thrones did for the previously obscure GRRM novels.

One thing I would bet on:We will not see a good view of a Sandworm until the movie opens.

That is the big curiosity thing about this movie, and I am sure Warners will make you  have to buy a ticket to see...

Edited by dudalb

Exactly. Lots of people will want to read the book when marketing starts. I read somewhere last year that Watchmen graphic novel sales skyrocketed when the movie trailer debuted with one of Nolan's Batmen if I recall the article correctly. it was mentioned in the write-up about the Watchmen TV show.

Agreed about sandworm money shot. They'll tease but won't reveal. 

Edited by Valonqar

16 hours ago, dudalb said:

I think that WB is also a major investor in the film;no way could Legendary afford this kind of budget on it's own

Yes they can. Wanda is their parent company after all, otherwise Legendary would be at the risk of being bankrupt.

I assume the final budget will be 75% Legendary and 25% WB like their Monsterverse films and Pikachu, Pacific Rim.