CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

4 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

Sure, honey.

The first book in the Dune series was Dune and not only did it win the Hugo Award in 1966, but it has sold over 20 million copies. The Dune franchise, however, is comprised of 31 additional novels written by Frank Herbert, Herbert's son Brian, and Kevin Anderson. Dunehas been adapted into screenplays, television shows, comic books, and graphic novels. Furthermore, there are Dune toys, video games and board games, to name just some of the merchandise available. The Dune franchise's value is not public.

In some articles I found at a fast glance it got called THE best selling sci-fi book, no idea if actual

I’d say a lot out of my generation at least know at least one book, a lot know at least some books. No idea what a younger generations’ survey might say

I think people who either watched the old movie or the TV mini=series and liked the story might be intrigued to watch it also, will depend a lot on the trailer / promotion, also logically the virus vaccine situation

Not saying its correct to assume a blockbuster, but there is a potential bigger awareness than some might assume

55 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

In some articles I found at a fast glance it got called THE best selling sci-fi book, no idea if actual

I’d say a lot out of my generation at least know at least one book, a lot know at least some books. No idea what a younger generations’ survey might say

I think people who either watched the old movie or the TV mini=series and liked the story might be intrigued to watch it also, will depend a lot on the trailer / promotion, also logically the virus vaccine situation

Not saying its correct to assume a blockbuster, but there is a potential bigger awareness than some might assume

Oh there will be plenty of awareness, of that I have no doubt. But as we saw with Detective Pikachu, that doesn't always translate into real world box office sales. 

WB's marketing department need to not repeat their previous mistake and assume that everyone already knows and cares about the world and backstory.

Otherwise the marketing just becomes a highlight reel of fan favourite moments, characters, and locations and not a way of selling the movie to potential newcomers. 

They need to sell the GA on the world, on the characters, and on the premise. They need to give the public a reason to want to go see this, especially in a super crowded movie season. 

Edited by TerwillikerInst

Villeneuve intends to create a Dune that has so far only existed in the imagination of readers. The key, he says, was to break the sprawling narrative in half. When Dune hits theaters on December 18, it will only be half the novel, with Warner Bros. agreeing to tell the story in two films, similar to the studio’s approach with Stephen King’s It and It Chapter Two. “I would not agree to make this adaptation of the book with one single movie,” says Villeneuve. “The world is too complex. It’s a world that takes its power in details.”

so he's still splitting the first novel into 2 parts, hmmm I like WB's optimism but I hope they still move forward with part 2 even if part 1 bombs :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

31 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

really hope that this is going to go big. DV needs it, if it bombs is anyone going to give him a big budget again? 

I'm sure WB will try to get him on Fantastic Beasts 4