CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

4 hours ago, Eric #TeamKong said:

They're obviously going to wait and see how the theatrical market is doing by that time...and judging by Godzilla/Kong, there are strong possibilities... but if it moves back to "only in theatres" -- I do wonder if anyone will actually take up suit with HBO/WarnerMedia for "false advertising."  😂

7 minutes ago, Macleod said:

They're obviously going to wait and see how the theatrical market is doing by that time...and judging by Godzilla/Kong, there are strong possibilities... but if it moves back to "only in theatres" -- I do wonder if anyone will actually take up suit with HBO/WarnerMedia for "false advertising."  😂

I doubt that. They always put a caveat somewhere that business plans are subject to change. Plus no one pays for HBO Max because Dune will come on day and date this december. 

I think this will have a limited theatrical run.

I can see they giving 3-4 weeks for Dune only because of Legendary / Villeneuve pressure and put on HBO immediately after that.

But it's probably the only movie from their slate that can get a mini exclusive theatrical run this year, since it's clear they can have box office successes and get those HBO signatures at the same time just like it happened this week with GvK.

But let's see, they also have troubles with Reminescence and they find a way to win. I think they can win this if they agreed to approve Dune sequel before any results.

This is currently sandwiched between Venom 2 and Bond so there is a 0% chance of it staying where it is. Wouldn't be at all surprised if it ends up going to 2022 and that way it gets out of the HBO Max deal.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, filmlover said:

This is currently sandwiched between Venom 2 and Bond so there is a 0% chance of it staying where it is. Wouldn't be at all surprised if it ends up going to 2022 and that way it gets out of the HBO Max deal.

Nah, this will flop hard in a month like March.

And NTTD and Venom aren't that big on US, but if they decide a delay is better they can put it on Thanksgiving and enjoy way better legs than a random early 2022 date. Especially because Dune also have a trailer that did great numbers, people know the movie exists, keep delaying it to 2022 can make the movie looks old before even get released.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Borobudur said:

So how GvK's success can help WB to take back their decision of simultaneous HBO max debut? At least for Dune, although I hope they reconsider their entire 2021 plan.....

They won't.

GvK was huge at the theaters and at HBO Max at the same time, their biggest movie to date and bring many new subscribers giving 100% of the money to them.

They have no reason to give up from something that is working for them. Maybe Dune can change because of Legendady (i doubt that) but the rest will stay as it is.

5 minutes ago, Maggie said:

So, this is still a hybrid release, in the end, right?

Yes.

The president of Legendary give an interview right after GxK opening talking about the huge success of the movie on both theaters and HBO Max and he say that they have another big movie that is in discussions but most likely will have the same treatment, which of course is Dune.

I just wonder how WB will make Villeneuve happy with this, maybe greenlight the second movie no matter how much money this one make?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eric Bombay said:

This video really does showcase how amazing Timothee is. I really hope the softness and empathy in Timothee is showcased here.

"In the strong, stoic macho heroes that... Al Pacino, Robert De Niro and Dustin Hoffman played"

Huh? Dustin Hoffman's work is like the antithesis of that lol

• Like 1

This sensitive, soft image he has will not age well. It's cool while he's young, but it will look ridiculous when he's past, let's say 30. The teen girls (and boys) who love him now because he's not threatening (he is like their imaginary non- intimidating, delicate bf who can't hurt them) will grow up and get real boyfriends. He reminds me of teen girls lusting after boy bands in the 90s. Once the boys in the band grew up, their fame evaporated

Edited by Maggie
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I'm worried about the release date. if it stays put, it's right between Venom and No Time to Die. Both will be huge dom and OS, have built-in fandom, attract casual viewers, and target similar audience. 

They should delay to October 15 or 22, 2-3 weeks after OS release of Bond and 2-3 weeks before Eternals

But there´s no other good date, the second half of the year is extremely packed with big movies every single week, and 2022 is not an option, would be a disaster move.

So yeah, keep the date and trust in the quality for good legs or delay to October 15-22 which is the last date in the year without a blockbuster

47 minutes ago, Maggie said:

This sensitive, soft image he has will not age well. It's cool while he's young, but it will look ridiculous when he's past, let's say 30. The teen girls (and boys) who love him now because he's not threatening (he is like their imaginary non- intimidating, delicate bf who can't hurt them) will grow up and get real boyfriends. He reminds me of teen girls lusting after boy bands in the 90s. Once the boys in the band grew up, their fame evaporated

He could always take steroids

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

They should delay to October 15 or 22, 2-3 weeks after OS release of Bond and 2-3 weeks before Eternals

But there´s no other good date, the second half of the year is extremely packed with big movies every single week, and 2022 is not an option, would be a disaster move.

So yeah, keep the date and trust in the quality for good legs or delay to October 15-22 which is the last date in the year without a blockbuster

Halloween Kills is out on October 15th, so probably not ideal for Dune to take that date either really considering how well Halloween 2018 did. Halloween Kills is likely dropping from the previous film, but it’ll still perform strongly through October 31st, and I believe it has IMAX/Dolby Cinema too.