CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

Dune is my favorite novel.  Villeneuve is a great filmmaker, and he's probably one of the few guys out there who's take on this I'd want to see.  However, the material from the books isn't very audience friendly for a big budget movie if they adapt it faithfully.  It's not like Good vs. Evil in Lord of the Rings, where the heroes are most pure and innocent and virtuous characters who always try to do what's right and the bad guys are essentially evil incarnate.  

But I'm willing to see where this goes.  However, even David Lynch took out some of the darker and edgier material from the original novel.

• Like 2

On 2/10/2017 at 7:08 AM, Valonqar said:

He has the right sensibility to bring out more cerebral aspects of the novel. 

I still think this cannot be done as one movie. Split would be justified.

I agree. I think Villeneuve is one of the few directors who could get across the books' more cerebral, psychological and trippier aspects.  However, I'm still skeptical they would do the movie without making major changes and altering a lot of what takes place.  

Dune is a cool sci-fi saga, but it's not like action-adventure of the week type stuff like Star Wars.  It's not a PG-13 story.

Edited by UTJeff

13 minutes ago, UTJeff said:

I agree. I think Villeneuve is one of the few directors who could get across the books' more cerebral, psychological and trippier aspects.  However, I'm still skeptical they would do the movie without making major changes and altering a lot of what takes place.  

Dune is a cool sci-fi saga, but it's not like action-adventure of the week type stuff like Star Wars.  It's not a PG-13 story.

Agree and that's why I don't expect it to become SW-size hit. It's going to be fairly big but it definitely isn't a 4 quadrant thing.

• Like 1

Honestly, I feel they'd be better off just doing it Game of Thrones style.  Legendary acquired the TV rights as well FYI.  

IMHO, movie isn't necessarily the only way or even the best to adapt material.  Just saying, if you are making a movie you are spending upwards of $150-$200 million, if not more, and you have to make compromises to the executives.  

It's imperative that they are stingy with the budget cause this is not nearly as commercial as they think. Characters are very unlikable (the main hero basicially becomes a Space Bin Laden) , there are too many of them, plot is complicated, universe is complicated. It's a tough read let alone sit (Lynch, Sy Fy mini series)

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tele Came Back said:

You can't pull it off with a stingy budget. I disagree about the characters too, unless you're talking about later in the series (GOD EMPEROR, say).

Children of Dune. The twins are insufferable menopausal dwarfs, Alia is more Baron than herself which is ridiculous, Duncan idaho is whatever (why does this guy gets cloned over and over?) and Paul is a limp dick. ;)

Blade Runner shows that Villeneuve can't keep the budget in check. 

Edited by Valonqar

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Children of Dune. The twins are insufferable menopausal dwarfs, Alia is more Baron than herself which is ridiculous, Duncan idaho is whatever (why does this guy gets cloned over and over?) and Paul is a limp dick. ;)

That's Book 3. Plenty of space for them to make several movies before they decide if they ever wanna deal with the loopier aspects of the saga. 

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

?

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

It's imperative that they are stingy with the budget cause this is not nearly as commercial as they think.

How do we know how commercial they think it is (I imagine they pooled interest of a large amount of people in every top market and have as good as an idea of the commercial appeal you can have and know that it is far from an automatic and that execution will be crucial), it is still one of most sold book of all time.

I hope they race-bend the smurf out of this movie. It's a lily white book but the characters don't have to be cause it really isn't important. So instead of usual fan casting, they go with Ashwaraya Rai, Idris Elba, Asian Fremen (their blue eyes are spice saturation anyway, they are not really blue), etc. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

I hope they race-bend the smurf out of this movie. It's a lily white book but the characters don't have to be cause it really isn't important. So instead of usual fan casting, they go with Ashwaraya Rai, Idris Elba, Asian Fremen (their blue eyes are spice saturation anyway, they are not really blue), etc. 

It's 8000 years in the future, you'd figure pretty much everyone would be blended into a nice multi-ethnic mix anyway. 

5 minutes ago, Tele Came Back said:

It's 8000 years in the future, you'd figure pretty much everyone would be blended into a nice multi-ethnic mix anyway. 

Exactly. Everyone wrote characters as white in the 60s and 70s but that's not important for the plot.  Robert Neville in IAL book is white but how many actors could keep one's attention alone on the screen? Big Willy, Denzel, Leo, Hanks and? So Smith was a perfect choice. Charisma trumped description and rightly so. Imagine 1 hour of only a charisma vacuum that fits the description and a dog. uh-oh.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 3