CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

Most of the holiday releases are likely gonna end up going to 2021 to accommodate the spring/summer movies that had to be delayed (not to mention all the movies for next year that'll probably end up pushed back due to production being on hold) so maybe this can claim Memorial Day weekend since Cruella is all that's there right now (and can easily coexist with this).

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

it's a shame if it has to move. christmas legs were it's best chance for BO success. I feel like this is gonna get eaten alive in the summer.

True. It had pretty much lucked out into the perfect slot as this Christmas had nothing going for it. But it also shows how weak the release slate was that Top Gun 2 moving to Christmas screws almost every other movie over.

I think this moves to either March, April or May 2021. I would prefer March 2021, Only Ghostbusters Afterlife and Morbius scheduled there which are both somewhat wildcards.  Summer  2021 will be a bloodbath and Dune would probably get killed there.

1 minute ago, babz06 said:

I think this moves to either March, April or May 2021. I would prefer March 2021, Only Ghostbusters Afterlife and Morbius scheduled there which are both somewhat wildcards.  Summer  2021 will be a bloodbath and Dune would probably get killed there.

This is still going to be an Oscar player for WB, opening it in Q1 or Q2 would be a mistake. July makes the most sense

13 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

it's a shame if it has to move. christmas legs were it's best chance for BO success. I feel like this is gonna get eaten alive in the summer.

December 2021? 

I feel like summer 2021 will be too crowded (with some of the 2020 movies being pushed a year)

3 minutes ago, TMP said:

This is still going to be an Oscar player for WB, opening it in Q1 or Q2 would be a mistake. July makes the most sense

I don’t expect it to be a huge Oscar player.   It might get a couple technical noms but that’s probably it. 

Just now, babz06 said:

I don’t expect it to be a huge Oscar player.   It might get a couple technical noms but that’s probably it. 

Based on the director, cast and source material I think it definitely could.

3 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

May 2021 (Matrix 4 spot), Cannes premiere could work. Worked for Fury Road. 

Yeah that makes sense. Move Matrix to mid-July, Suicide Squad to late June and Space Jam 2 to August?

3 hours ago, grim22 said:

Soon. Staying on its current date is now a death sentence. It was not filmed in IMAX, so it will only get 5 days on IMAX and PLF before Top Gun 2. This will likely go to 2021 and Wonder Woman will take its date since WW84 is guaranteed 3 weeks of IMAX screens.

Wait, all this talk about moving is because of Top Gun 2? I think that it is still too soon to say what moviegoing will be like in December (assuming most theaters are reopened), and Dune was never a sure hit at the box office... but TG2 is far from a juggernaut that should be feared.

• Like 1