CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

Well, by the looks of it, we have a new FLOP in our hands.

1. Dark and gloomy Sci-fi movies with no saturation, unimpressive costumes and a plot obscure to most seem bound to fail at the B.O, see: Mortal engines.

2. Families aren't likely to turn up for something that goes far and away from canon fantasy tones and charcaters, and this project is way too adult-oriented to please kids.

3. The international audience is not really into Sci-fi unless it is something actually set in space (Gravity, Interstellar). Blade Runner 2, Arrival, even the star wars movie all under-performed InT vs Dom.

4. The lead actors' appeal on foreign audiences is questionable. Sure, Zendaya And Chalamet are big on the web and have a large teen-fanbase, but they are not draws a la Di Caprio-Pitt-Clooney-Bullock-Jolie (no one really is on that level, nowadays).

All in all, this is going to fare up well with a certain type of moviegoers: male nerds aged 18-45. This specific category is over-represented on twitter, where they are really vocal, and I'd say also pretty prevalent on the forum, so it might look like there is a large audience waiting for "Dune", but that is, sadly, just an illusion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, TMP said:

Momoa coming for a Best Supporting Actor nomination?

I would love that. heads would explode. That said, at least in the book, Duncan isn't a juicy role. he's charming and badass but that's about it. The ones that require more acting are Jessica, Baron, Stil and Paul in that order. I wouldn't call any of these roles Oscar bait on paper but it isn't impossible. 

I'm worried about Jessica re-writes. The whole point of the book is that she wasn't a fanatic, either Bene Gesserit one or Muad'dib one. I get that they are trying to make her even more tough but I hope that isn't dogmatic toughness which she didn't have.

Edited by Valonqar

6 minutes ago, ThePrinceIsOnFire said:

Well, by the looks of it, we have a new FLOP in our hands.

2. Families aren't likely to turn up for something that goes far and away from canon fantasy tones and charcaters, and this project is way too adult-oriented to please kids.

Er, this movie never counted on families so I don't know why you are using this argument against the movie. It was always going to be adult oriented. It's hard sci fi. They are not deluded to try to sell it to kids.

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

Er, this movie never counted on families so I don't know why you are using this argument against the movie. It was always going to be adult oriented. It's hard sci fi. They are not deluded to try to sell it to kids.

I would say that casting Zendaya was a specific choice meant as a way to widen the public, aiming for the female pre-teens that still make up the most of her fanbase. 

7 minutes ago, ThePrinceIsOnFire said:

I would say that casting Zendaya was a specific choice meant as a way to widen the public, aiming for the female pre-teens that still make up the most of her fanbase. 

She might bring in some of her audience but not a large portion to make a difference. From what Dune fans say, Chani doesn't even have a large role in the first movie. 

Edited by babz06

27 minutes ago, ThePrinceIsOnFire said:

All in all, this is going to fare up well with a certain type of moviegoers: male nerds aged 18-45. This specific category is over-represented on twitter, where they are really vocal, and I'd say also pretty prevalent on the forum, so it might look like there is a large audience waiting for "Dune", but that is, sadly, just an illusion.

I imagine it could go well with the male nerds aged 45 to 70 as well, those 70s reader.

30 minutes ago, ThePrinceIsOnFire said:

The international audience is not really into Sci-fi unless it is something actually set in space (Gravity, Interstellar). Blade Runner 2, Arrival, even the star wars movie all under-performed InT vs Dom.

Well it depend how we define actually set in space:

Big sci-fi (without putting Super heroes/young adult affair) that worked well with intl audience

Jurassic Park franchise

Inception

The Matrix franchise

Aliens franchise

Terminator Franchise

Planet of the Apes franchise

And it depend how you class the Transformers movies

The Martian

Back to the Future

Interstellar/Gravity has been doing well Internationally but they are not alone, of the above how many are more set in actual space than Dune will be ? Seem about 50/50

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I imagine it could go well with the male nerds aged 45 to 70 as well, those 70s reader.

Well it depend how we define actually set in space:

Big sci-fi (without putting Super heroes/young adult affair) that worked well with intl audience

Jurassic Park franchise

Inception

The Matrix franchise

Aliens franchise

Terminator Franchise

Planet of the Apes franchise

And it depend how you class the Transformers movies

The Martian

Back to the Future

Interstellar/Gravity has been doing well Internationally but they are not alone, of the above how many are more set in actual space than Dune will be ? Seem about 50/50

Those do not have young adult themes? What?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Those do not have young adult themes? What?

It is more not starting to put the Hunger Games/Divergent type of Sci-fi in there has I am not sure that the social thought experiment Sci-fi genre is relevant (or thought as Sci-fi by many people)

8 minutes ago, Barnack said:

:ohmygod:

I didn’t knew I am a male (it got nearly equally read in my circle of friends then)

• Haha 1