CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 12:10 PM, filmlover said:

They must be really confident that this will deliver if they're planning on going forward with two movies.

I don't think Warners has quite signed off on two movies. If they had, easiest thing would shoot them both at the same time as la LOTR.

If it flops it will be an interesting situation.

One reason Warners is taking the chance is if it's a hit they got a franchise on their hand. I Herbert wrote 5 sequels ( 4 actually; Dune Messiah was meant to be the final part of the original novel, but the publishers decided to cut it  and after Dune became a huge success published it as a separate book) and then you have the novels co written by Herbert's Son.

Granted the quality of the novels Herbert wrote went downhill after "Children of Dune" (and the less said about the crap written after Herbert's death the better) but still Warners is looking at something they could get as many films from as they got out of Harry Potter.

1 hour ago, TMP said:

Avatar delay should help this imo

Hopefully that would help to a degree, Dune can leg it out further, seeing that it should have no audience overlap with Cruella or West Side Story, and Dune and Avatar 2 are both Sci-fi.

9 minutes ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

This should come out on December. I have this weird feeling that this will be Hollywood’s Game of Thrones in terms of its scale and large cast of characters, as well as its story and lore.

Agreed. This will do much better in December.

53 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

IIRC, this moment takes place pretty far into the second half of the book. So now I'm really wondering how Villeneuve is intending to split it.

yep I'm very confused lol. 

6 hours ago, John Marston said:

wait are they really splitting this book? Bad idea. Since there is no guarantee another one will get made. 

If the film flops then Part 2 will come out on HBO and then the rest of the books will instead become 10 episode seasons. Just like GOT.

:Venom:

15 hours ago, John Marston said:

wait are they really splitting this book? Bad idea. Since there is no guarantee another one will get made. 

You can't fit the whole novel into one film successfully. Been tried, did not work.

It would be like trying to fit LOTR into one movie.

16 hours ago, Biggestgeekever said:

IIRC, this moment takes place pretty far into the second half of the book. So now I'm really wondering how Villeneuve is intending to split it.

Yeah, I though where the Freman declare Paul to be their leader would be a logical breaking point, but we will see....

• Like 1