FlashMaster659

Weekend Thread | Official Estimates: Moana - 55.5/81.1M; Fantastic Beasts - 45.1M; Doctor Strange - 13.4M; Allied - 13/18M; Arrival - 11.3M; Trolls - 10.3M; Bad Santa 2 - 6.1/9M

1 minute ago, Webslinger said:

I want to believe that it's the latter, but who knows? They got all of the major surviving pieces of the first movie back, Kathy Bates signed on, and director Mark Waters helmed Mean Girls, so perhaps the script was promising and it just got lost in the translation from inception to completion.

Yes, we all look at these projects with 20/20 hindsight. It's (almost) never as obvious as we think it is. And even if the script was lousy, maybe he liked working with these people. We tend to think of movies in purely artistic terms, but for those working on 'em, they're also just jobs, and sometimes you take a gig just to spend time with people you like (or to travel somewhere that you want). 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

To me, it will always be impressive that someone with a name as goofy as "Billy Bob Thornton" managed to have a career as a respected actor, at least for a period of time.

Playing doctor with Goth Jolie was  a nice perk I heard.

• Like 1

Just now, Grand Moff Tele said:

Yes, we all look at these projects with 20/20 hindsight. It's (almost) never as obvious as we think it is. And even if the script was lousy, maybe he liked working with these people. We tend to think of movies in purely artistic terms, but for those working on 'em, they're also just jobs, and sometimes you take a gig just to spend time with people you like (or to travel somewhere that you want). 

And that's something that I try to remind myself of frequently. Granted, it doesn't always help with my overall opinion of the film. All of the social media postings pointed toward the cast and crew of Suicide Squad having an awesome time together, and yet the completed film was a mess. Likewise, I wouldn't be surprised if the cast and crew of Zoolander 2 - my least favorite film of the year, and one of the most crushingly disappointing experiences I've had watching a movie in quite some time - thought that the concept had promise and had a great time filming it. I guess that's why it's so hard for me to give anything lower than a "D" in my personal grading. ;)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Webslinger said:

And that's something that I try to remind myself of frequently. Granted, it doesn't always help with my overall opinion of the film.

Oh, I don't think it should affect your opinion of the film at all. The movie is the movie, that's all that matters as a consumer. But it helps to have a bit of insight about why people choose projects sometimes. 

• Like 1

Ended up rewatching Arrival with the family. Got a glorious double whammy of the new La La Land and Fences trailers right before it. The movie was damn great on rewatch too (and everyone enjoyed it somewhat although the ending completely FLEW over my parents' heads.)

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, filmlover said:

To me, it will always be impressive that someone with a name as goofy as "Billy Bob Thornton" managed to have a career as a respected actor, at least for a period of time.

He's talented. Co-wrote One False Move and wrote, directed and starred in Sling Blade. 

I think that a huge part of the effectiveness of Arrival's ending lies in... 

Spoiler

that it makes so much sense that I was kicking myself for not figuring it out despite the film's commendable efforts in concealing it. I would like to think that I see enough movies (and read enough literature) to spot a time-shifting twist a mile away, and yet the notion that the film was presented in non-linear fashion didn't occur to me until the aliens began talking about their understanding of time. I seriously can't believe that I didn't figure out that Louise hadn't had a child yet - especially given her oblique references to her ex-husband being a scientist - but Amy Adams does such an excellent job of selling Louise's aloofness prior to that point that it's just as easy to believe that her one off-handed reference to Donnelly about remaining single is an understandably bitter comment coming from a single woman whose daughter is gone. I haven't been so genuinely surprised by a twist - or by how well the twist added up in hindsight - in a while.

Edited by Webslinger
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Blankments said:

Ended up rewatching Arrival with the family. Got a glorious double whammy of the new La La Land and Fences trailers right before it. The movie was damn great on rewatch too (and everyone enjoyed it somewhat although the ending completely FLEW over my parents' heads.)

How excited are you for La La Land? :qotd: