kayumanggi

COCO | 597.4 M overseas ● 807.1 M worldwide

12 minutes ago, peludo said:

Coco started second in Spain on Friday after a local film, but on Saturday it seems to rank first.

Spain seems to be an excellent territory for Coco given it's full of Hispanic culture. I know Mexico and Spain are very different but it's a bit like the US/UK relationship in many ways.

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Like 1

In Indonesia it opened with $638k according to BOM. Kinda okay for a Pixar film. Animation in general is not big here. And Disney/Pixar is second-tier to Dreamworks or Illumination. Although, I feel that Disney & Pixar films are much more beloved and remembered.

Anyway, while this OW is not impressive, Coco's WOM is out of this world. Everybody here says it's amazing. I don't think I've ever seen a movie with this kind of reception. Also, from my observation, the shows in its 1st weekend were like half-full, while in its 2nd weekend there were a lot of sold out shows. And I think it has more showtimes now than its opening weekend. I'm very excited to see its numbers this weekend. I hope they're reported.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Olive Skywalker said:

Poor opening in Europe...

Poor? If you add the openings of France, Russia and Spain (I do not see more data) the sum ($15.0m) is on par to Inside Out ($15.4m), over Dory ($11.1m) and doubles The Good Dinosaur ($7.4m), which was the last Pixar November-December film.

The Good Dinosaur did $33m in these 3 countries, so a x4.46 multiplier. That would mean $67m just from these 3 countries. IMO, it has chances of $600m OS.

Edited by peludo
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, peludo said:

Poor? If you add the openings of France, Russia and Spain (I do not see more data) the sum ($15.0m) is on par to Inside Out ($15.4m), over Dory ($11.1m) and doubles The Good Dinosaur ($7.4m), which was the last Pixar November-December film.

The Good Dinosaur did $33m in these 3 countries, so a x4.46 multiplier. That would mean $67m just from these 3 countries.

We have reason to expect even better legs than TGD, I presume ? :P

I'm quite optimistic in Coco having leggy runs in many global markets, we're already seeing evidence of that in China, Mexico, Indonesia, Taiwan, even Russia, and to a lesser extent, domestically as well. 

• Like 2

Just now, NCsoft said:

We have reason to expect even better legs than TGD, I presume ? :P

I'm quite optimistic in Coco having leggy runs in many global markets, we're already seeing evidence of that in China, Mexico, Indonesia, Taiwan, even Russia, and to a lesser extent, domestically as well. 

Just edited my post. I think it can reach $600m OS.

17 minutes ago, peludo said:

The Good Dinosaur did $33m in these 3 countries, so a x4.46 multiplier. That would mean $67m just from these 3 countries. IMO, it has chances of $600m OS.

Russia is two-week total.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Olive Skywalker said:

Russia is two-week total.

What a mistake! You are absolutely right.

Russia has opened to $3.1m, so the sum of the 3 countries during the OW is $11.7m. A 24% lower than Inside out. And on par to Dory, although Coco's legs do not seem to be as good (maybe the weather affects). After 10 days, Dory was at $6.4m and Coco is at $5.6m.

Said this, I am still confident this can make huge numbers thanks to Christmas.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, peludo said:

What a mistake! You are absolutely right.

Russia has opened to $3.1m, so the sum of the 3 countries during the OW is $11.7m. A 24% lower than Inside out. And on par to Dory, although Coco's legs do not seem to be as good (maybe the weather affects). After 10 days, Dory was at $6.4m and Coco is at $5.6m.

Said this, I am still confident this can make huge numbers thanks to Christmas.

Lets hope so ,and breakout in SK and Japan.

This movie deserves 800m+ WW

Edited by Olive Skywalker
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, Olive Skywalker said:

Lets hope so ,and breakout in SK and Japan.

This movie deserves 800m+ WW

By the way what kind of total can we expect in China? That's an impressive OW for a movie that wasn't meant to be released in the first place :o

3 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

By the way what kind of total can we expect in China? That's an impressive OW for a movie that wasn't meant to be released in the first place :o

The $75.6m figure is the 10-day cume in China, not the OW. But with an incredible WOM, it seems headed to reach, at least, $150m.

Edited by peludo
  • Like 1

On 2/12/2017 at 1:32 PM, Omni said:

All this talk about the slim chance at 1B WW is ridiculous. To get there, Coco would need to mirror the OS gross of DM3, which was a sequel of a huge franchise opening in a complete wasteland in the middle of summer. It needs at least 350M combined from China + Japan to get there - so no.

Homecoming's 880M is the only realistic goal we should focus on. And it will require a lot of help from Asia and South America.

I read this before learning about the China second-weekend boost. I thought, why is this guy saying this? Since when could China + Japan make $350M after an $18.2M opening in China? I can't believe that a day later this is actually a possibility.

Note: I'm not criticisng the post. I would have thought the same, but WOW this weekend has turned things upside down. And even better, China is not the only market that got a boost. 5 more did. I don't wanna push my hopes up but this is getting increasingly interesting by the day. Best post-Thanksgiving hold in the US among all movies that opened above $35M. This is impressive.

[UPDATE] oops! it's actually second-best. I missed The Grinch!

Edited by Quigley

39 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Fantastic for a Pixar movie, very satisfying :)

Not just satisfying, it is amazing. Coco can make more than the previous 10 Pixar released in China COMBINED :ohmygod:

I still have not seen Coco, but I absolutely love Pixar so it is great to see finally this kind of result in China :) 

Edited by peludo
  • Like 1