kayumanggi

COCO | 597.4 M overseas ● 807.1 M worldwide

10 minutes ago, Quigley said:

Note: I'm not criticisng the post. I would have thought the same, but WOW this weekend has turned things upside down.

Quite the opposite, actually. This weekend's openings showed that Coco is not going to post crazy numbers everywhere. Spain and France are nothing more than solid, Germany is very weak. And Russia got a nice hold, but after a terrible OW - and we're talking about major markets.

If things follow the right way, it will get past 880M, which is #5 of the year WW and also a tad above the Slop. That's what I'm realistically rooting for.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Omni said:

Quite the opposite, actually. This weekend's openings showed that Coco is not going to post crazy numbers everywhere. Spain and France are nothing more than solid, Germany is very weak. And Russia got a nice hold, but after a terrible OW - and we're talking about major markets.

If things follow the right way, it will get past 880M, which is #5 of the year WW and also a tad above the Slop. That's what I'm realistically rooting for.

$880m WW means over $600m OS. That is an excellent result for an original film (although I recognize that China's boost makes the result a bit misleading).

Elsewhere, Coco held terrifically with increases in a further five markets: Indonesia (+49%), Malaysia (+30%), Portugal (+18%), Taiwan (+15%) and Vietnam (+9%). The Top 5 plays so far are China, Mexico ($55.6M), France ($6.4M), Russia ($5.8M) and Spain ($2.8M).

Deadline.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

Yep, for us Chinese Pixar fans, we've been waiting for this moment for years...

A lot of us are very emotional right now :P

Ahahaha, glad to see Pixar is now able to be successful in China, it was painful to see their movies failing in this huge market. Happy for you pal :P

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Olive Skywalker said:

Elsewhere, Coco held terrifically with increases in a further five markets: Indonesia (+49%), Malaysia (+30%), Portugal (+18%), Taiwan (+15%) and Vietnam (+9%). The Top 5 plays so far are China, Mexico ($55.6M), France ($6.4M), Russia ($5.8M) and Spain ($2.8M).

Deadline.

These Mexican numbers are crazy high :o

And Asia is incredible for Coco, thankfully Asia is there to offset Europe's passivity.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, peludo said:

Poor? If you add the openings of France, Russia and Spain (I do not see more data) the sum ($15.0m) is on par to Inside Out ($15.4m), over Dory ($11.1m) and doubles The Good Dinosaur ($7.4m), which was the last Pixar November-December film.

The Good Dinosaur did $33m in these 3 countries, so a x4.46 multiplier. That would mean $67m just from these 3 countries. IMO, it has chances of $600m OS.

2nd weekend for russia tought

6 hours ago, Olive Skywalker said:

Deadline.

I knew it! I knew it would increase in its 2nd weekend in Indonesia. I've never seen anything like that happened to a Hollywood movie before. Movies here, especially Hollywood, generally struggle to have 2x multipliers, thanks to the limited screens available. Coco already got 3x. It has about 10 more days, before Star Wars destroys it by stealing most of its screens. So I hope it makes as much as money as possible before that happens, at least more than Boss Baby's $3m total. Coco deserves more than that movie.

• Like 7

21 hours ago, Omni said:

If the second-weekend boosts in numerous markets taught us anything, it's that it could happen elsewhere too. That's obviously where I'm basing my whole argument. Holidays are coming up so don't be so quick to dismiss this. I mean yeah, it's far-fetched but everything about this movie has been far-fetched so far...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, UserHN said:

Any idea on how Coco might do in Japan? That is one country where Disney movies break out occasionally.

I think it's going to be about $40m.

I'm kind of skeptical if Coco can break out, because it's not a very cute movie, and I think that matters in Japan.