kayumanggi

COCO | 597.4 M overseas ● 807.1 M worldwide

Coco South Korea opening weekend estimated around $5,709,896 with estimated 730,900 admissions. Second best OW for a Pixar film! Only behind Finding Dory. 

Hope this is a breakout in the making considering it will most likely benefit from extremely good WOM.

Edited by averagejoe

1 minute ago, averagejoe said:

Coco South Korea opening weekend estimated around $5,709,896 with estimated 730,900 admissions. Second best OW for a Pixar film! Only behind Finding Dory. 

Hope this is a breakout in the making considering it will most likely benefit from extremely good WOM.

I believe it is breaking out, as it actually increased from OD (thurs to fri), as well as increasing sat to sun as well! Meaning it's increased every day so far. With a good drop tomorrow, it may even take #1!

11 minutes ago, feasby007 said:

I believe it is breaking out, as it actually increased from OD (thurs to fri), as well as increasing sat to sun as well! Meaning it's increased every day so far. With a good drop tomorrow, it may even take #1!

Hope that's a good sign for Japan's run in March. I hope Coco makes big numbers there too ($70M or more)

7 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

Hope that's a good sign for Japan's run in March. I hope Coco makes big numbers there too ($70M or more)

Its potential in Japan is huge for sure, especially when it already broke out in China and now most likely, South Korea. It is worth noting that these 2 Asian territories have a bad history of performance for Pixar films, but Coco has managed to break the status quo. Moreover, Coco has many elements that would most probably appeal to Japanese audience, especially when it shares some similar elements with Spirited Away (the highest grossing film ever in Japan). And it will also benefit from the post awards season boost and the almost locked Oscars win 2 weeks before its Japanese bow. Adding all these factors together, it seems like Coco's run in Japan is a breakout in the making. I wont rule out the possibility of $100m plus.

• Like 1

Holds are strong in such markets as Spain (-11%), Colombia (-12%), Panama (-13%), Ecuador (-13%), Chile (-19%), Hong Kong (-30%) and Brazil (-32%).

The Top 5 ex-U.S. plays are China ($183M), Mexico ($57.8M), France ($29.9M), Spain ($17.9M) and Italy ($11.8M).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tauren Warlock said:

Is there a possibility that Coco can still reach $800 million worldwide?

Japan $100 mil+

South Korea $40 mil

UK $30 mil

Holdover markets $20 mil

The possibility is very high indeed. Its needs $180 million from where it is bow to get there.

Apart from what you have listed, it will do at least $10 million more domestically and about $15 million in the nordic countries (Norway, Sweden, Denmark) nd Turkey where it has yet to opened.

Holdovers will do a lot more than $20 million, its opening in Argentina bids well for it and could do $10 million or even more from there alone. And if it continues to hold strong in other markets, the holdovers can go from $35 million - $40 million.

For South Korea, $40 million seems about right if it legs out well, but it could have an even massive breakout considering its success in China and WOM seems to be terrific in the country.

UK wise, I agree that $30 million is the floor since all Pixar original films (except TGD) has grossed more than $30 million there. Considering the critical acclaim Coco has garnered and its BAFTA nomination, Coco has a shot of getting boosted by the awards season buzz and could even go higher into the $40-$50 million plus range. But I will put UK at about $35 million for now.

Japan is a huge wild card, but how Coco played out in the rest of Asia certainly puts it in a good spot ahead of its Japanese bow in March. Given how Japanese enjoy quality and meaningful animated films, a massive breakout is not out of the question here. I would say $75 million will most likely happen and it certainly has the potential to go even higher than that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tauren Warlock said:

Is there a possibility that Coco can still reach $800 million worldwide?

Japan $100 mil+

South Korea $40 mil

UK $30 mil

Holdover markets $20 mil

I'd go for

Japan $90 mil+

South Korea $30 mil

UK $50 mil

Holdovers + nordic countries + Turkey + Argentina + ... $40 mil

I think it's making 800M+, but we'll only know in april, after two weeks of Japan's release.

3 hours ago, meriodejaneiro said:

I'd go for

Japan $90 mil+

South Korea $30 mil

UK $50 mil

Holdovers + nordic countries + Turkey + Argentina + ... $40 mil

I think it's making 800M+, but we'll only know in april, after two weeks of Japan's release.

I can only see Coco making $25m at best in the UK. Coco has underperformed in Europe and English speaking countries in general, so matching Moana's $25m would be nice.

I'm hoping Coco can breakout in South Korea. Your Name made $27m because it connected with the audience. If Coco connects like Your Name then maybe it can reach $45m-$50m since it has the Pixar/Disney Brand and is 3d animated.

Coco will be very close to JL WW by the time this weekend ends. Coco is at $627m while JL is at $655m. A $28m difference. Dom will add about $2m, UK Opening about $8m-9m hopefully, South Korea adding about $8m from first week and second weekend, Argentina about $3-4m from weekdays and second weekend and other holdovers about $8m-10m. It seems that Coco will probably be able to cross JL WW by the end of this weekend? 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Mr Impossible said:

$700M is locked?

It still has Japan and the nordic countries. So yes, $700m is locked and $750m is likely locked too. $800m plus and even WW is within reach if it breaks out in Japan just like China.

Edited by averagejoe
  • Like 1

Coco needs to pass $821,847,012 in order to become #10 highest grosser of 2017. Japan doesn't release until March 16, so we have a long wait to find out. What's interesting is that Boss Baby is releasing 5 days after it, and that might affect Coco in the family film category. Traditionally, Dreamworks films have stopped releasing in Japan because of their very poor box office results. This time though, Universal is handling the distribution and might actually pose some competition.

Edited by KP1025
Corrected figure