cannastop

Zootopia vs. Moana

Zootopia vs. Moana  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Which movie is better?

I think Moana is going to end up being one of my all-time favourites (just saw it today). Zootopia wins because it is my all-time favourite.

The friend I saw Moana with also liked Zootopia more. Obviously there will be people for whom Moana will be the better movie, but I can't help but wonder if Moana coming so soon after Zootopia might cause it to suffer by comparison.

• Like 1

As far as Moana goes I think it was a byproduct of the familiar story that the emotional beats it goes for don't always hit as hard as they're intended to  (and in fairness, there are still plenty that really hit). With Zootopia I felt pretty much everything Nick and Judy went through both in their own lives and in their relationship with each other.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 4

Moana surprisingly almost took the spot for me (I'm a crazy Zootopia fan/addict). I really loved how real and organic it felt (especially the character of Moana) and it got me more emotional, oh and I loved the atmospheric musical numbers; however, Zootopia just blew my mind when I watched it. It felt so relevant and important and I think the main characters are a tad bit more entertaining than Moana's side by side.

Animation: Can't Decide

Theme: Zootopia (hands down)

Characters: Zootopia (This was hard because the character of Moana felt so real, and Maui got more development than I thought he would get. Also I really liked Grandma Tala.)

Emotion: Moana

Story: Can't Decide (Believe it or not, theme-aside, Zootopia's story had a lot of cliche moments in its mystery storyline, and is formulaic much like Moana, both executed wonderfully.)

Humour: Moana (That chicken! I found myself laughing more in Moana. Zootopia got me thinking more often than laughing.)

Music/Score/Atmosphere: Moana (although, I loved Zootopia's score and the feeling it gave me. Loved the song as well)

World-building: Zootopia

Concept: Zootopia 

Action/Intensity: Can't decide (Both got very intense, with high stakes)

Overall Impact: Zootopia (4 to 3)

Part of me thinks that, if BP remains at the 40% guaranteed level it is, Zootopia might sneak in.

:huh:

I know. It would never win, but it's a relatively open category this year, has nearly universal acclaim, relevant to the times (especially with how the message can be taken so many ways).

How does it relate to this? Because in a year where Disney has two pictures that are both almost pitch perfect, one still manages to have crossover appeal. This isn't " I like this movie because I like Disney in general and i'm a kid at heart.", this is people who don't give Disney a second thought on a normal basis looking at Zootopia and going "Holy shit.". That's an amazing thing to achieve. 

Edited by Morieris
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Morieris said:

Part of me thinks that, if BP remains at the 40% guaranteed level it is, Zootopia might sneak in.

I know. It would never win, but it's a relatively open category this year, has nearly universal acclaim, relevant to the times (especially with how the message can be taken so many ways).

How does it relate to this? Because in a year where Disney has two pictures that are both almost pitch perfect, one still manages to have crossover appeal. This isn't " I like this movie because I like Disney in general and i'm a kid at heart.", this is people who don't give Disney a second thought on a normal basis looking at Zootopia and going "Holy shit.". That's an amazing thing to achieve. 

There's like a 0% chance that Zootopia gets a Best Picture nod at the Oscars. That's what you're saying, right? It's at 44th place on goldderby in the Best Picture category. Screenplay is already a longshot, but Best Picture is out of the question, just going by predictions from experts.

Edited by cannastop

44 minutes ago, Morieris said:

Not sure what you meant by BP at 40% guaranteed level? Anyway, it's very hard for me to imagine Zootopia sneaking in after Inside Out missing a nomination last year. I think it's related to the rule change they instituted in 2011 that requires nominees to achieve a 5% threshold of support from essentially just first-choice support, with very limited opportunity to gain support from down the ballot. (It's super-complicated, but they use modifications to STV to ensure only a small amount of second choice and third choice votes will actually count, and essentially none beyond that.)

If Zootopia somehow does manage to meet that bar (colour me surprised), it will be for the reasons you've mentioned. Particularly the political timeliness.