Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

edroger3

Your Name

Recommended Posts

Your Name (Japan 2016) 

 

2zrjdde.jpg

 

IMDB page

 

Release date info

 

English site

 

 

 

After the successful Chinese release is almost certain that Your Name will become the highest grossing anime movie ever worldwide. In fact, correct me if i'm in wrong, Spirited Away still leads with 274,92M$ (BOM page) while the Makoto Shinkai's masterpiece has collected 243,1M$ as at Sunday 12/04 according to ComScore/Rentrak, but is playing in seven market including China and Japan and others are coming soon in Asia and Europe. So I think is time that it has its own movie thread.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, cannastop said:

I'm not even sure it's getting a wide release in the USA.

It's getting a limited release in the U.S and if it does well during the limited release then I'm sure they'll gradually expand the theater count.  I'm hoping it does get a wide release date.  Such a great film.  An Oscar nomination is also surely going to push it past 25 billion yen and a win... that could propel it towards Spirited Away numbers in Japan and a guaranteed wide release. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, CelestialFairyIX said:

It's getting a limited release in the U.S and if it does well during the limited release then I'm sure they'll gradually expand the theater count.  I'm hoping it does get a wide release date.  Such a great film.  An Oscar nomination is also surely going to push it past 25 billion yen and a win... that could propel it towards Spirited Away numbers in Japan and a guaranteed wide release. 

Even with an Oscar nomination, I doubt it will get a truly wide release. Ghibli never had much success at the North American box office, and I don't see how Your Name will do better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

This film was good but I have no idea why MAL rates it 9.38/10. For perspective Spirited Away is rated 8.93 and Princess Mononoke is rated 8.81.

 

I enjoyed it a lot more than both of those. If I had to guess it would be its emotional resonance with most people. Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke are magical but there are never moments in the those films where I felt emotionally invested.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, eXtacy said:

 

I enjoyed it a lot more than both of those. If I had to guess it would be its emotional resonance with most people. Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke are magical but there are never moments in the those films where I felt emotionally invested.

Opposite for me! Spirited Away especially it's wonderful.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

This film was good but I have no idea why MAL rates it 9.38/10. For perspective Spirited Away is rated 8.93 and Princess Mononoke is rated 8.81.

 

I haven't paid attention to ratings on MAL, but user ratings on RT and IMDb have a tendency to fall somewhat after initial release, which makes sense since the most enthusiastic viewers are likely to rate it first.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

After the weekend in Australia.

 

10 2 YOUR NAME (PG), MADMAN [42/ $4,113] 172,725 -51%
658,177

 

Spirited Away.  It doesn't show up the following weekend.

12 2 SPIRITED AWAY [30 / $3,733 ] 111,988 -18%
273,708

 

 

I'm not sure what the highest grossing anime is in Australia.  Looks like it's already made more then Ponyo and The Secret World of Arrietty.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really hope Venezuela is one of those countries, cause I really want to see Your Name on a big ass screen.

 

I haven`t seen an anime film here in theatres since Pokemon 3 and Spirited Away and that was 2002.

Link to comment
Share on other sites



  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.