Water Bottle

Get Out | February 24th | Under Comedy/Musical Category at Golden Globes

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I'm not much of a horror guy either, but to wonder about masterpieces of the genre and then name a couple of hits from the 2000s seems a bit silly to me. There are fantastic, thrilling, un-nerving, and thought-provoking movies from the 60s, 70s, and 80s and the fact you didn't mention any of them made me wonder whether you've seen them, that's all. 

One of the nice things about Get Out is that it might open the eyes of young film buffs to stuff like Rosemary, Manchurian Candidate and Stepford Wives. All are pretty awesome suspense/thriller flicks.

• Like 3

God, pleasantly surprised so many people share my thoughts on CITW. Thought it was self-referential fan wank with a few good bits.

As long as we're talking about modern horror, I thought It Follows was alot more pretty than good, frankly. It's beautifully shot and atmospheric but I didn't think there was anything to it and it gets too far up its own ass to be scary. Another movie people blew up because it was winking at the audience about how much it knew about horror films. Plus, most of the acting outside of the lead sucks. The Witch is alot better, IMO. 

Edited by Cmasterclay

14 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

God, pleasantly surprised so many people share my thoughts on CITW. Thought it was self-referential fan wank with a few good bits.

As long as we're talking about modern horror, I thought It Follows was alot more pretty than good, frankly. It's beautifully shot and atmospheric but I didn't think there was anything to it and it gets too far up its own ass to be scary. Another movie people blew up because it was winking at the audience about how much it knew about horror films. Plus, most of the acting outside of the lead sucks. The Witch is alot better, IMO. 

Couldn't agree more regarding It Follow and The Witch.

• Like 1

What the hell happened here since I last posted!

I'm not sure I can keep up.

Uhm...

Cabin in the Woods is overrated, yes. I think it has barely any re-watch value unlike my favorite in the genre.

5 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Nahh, I can just tell that I really really wouldn't agree with you on most subjects if you didn't like It Follows, which in my opinion was a masterpiece of horror and tension.

You are correct sir, effectively building suspense and genuine fear is not being "pretentious". It's just actually doing a good job in the genre.

I do think It Follows is overrated though. It's a good movie for sure but the the way the script was written and the way the movie was directed just didn't fit as one tried to come up with all these rules for the story while the other tried to be a lot more loose and have it feel a lot more abstract.

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

The uninamous praise for this movie seems to be only about artistic merits and cinematic mastery.

Dennis Villeneuve, Christopher Nolan, Ryan Coogler, Damien Chazelle, James Wan & The Russos Brothers better watch out, there s a new kid in town.

• Like 1

I completely disagree that all of the name white actors towered over all of the rest of the cast. I thought the two best performances in the film were the comedic relief best friend and Daniel Kaluuya. They, imo were best part of the film.

I really sometimes get confused with people. There's a massive difference between making a film about racist people and making a film that is racist. This is a fictional work of art.

Having white people wanting to use black people as slaves doesn't make it a racist movie.

It's just a work of art. I didn't feel one ounce of racism at all in this film.

And as @Telemachos said, if you have not seen horror films from the sixties seventies and eighties you really can't say whether or not the genre appeals to you or not. There were a ton of classic horror films that came out during that time. Naming off films from the nineties and 2000s certainly does not give you a proper sample size of what is really out there.

6 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Just to be super safe, B, I'm spoiler-tagging a bit of that post. :) 

Also, the movie generates plenty of heat and satire

Reveal hidden contents

Reminded me of that incredible episode of Atlanta in which he and his baby's mom go to a country club. Any here watch that show?

I know it's not fair but it's also likely why it didn't seem as sharp to me. Atlanta toyed with the same tagged concept and more in a 22 minute episode and delivered it better and sharper and Glover's response was perfect. I think having just recently seen that show dampened the how effective some of the social satire was in this one. Just as everyone saw where Cure For Wellness was going. I figured where this was going within 15 minutes. Delivery was still great and not a wasted line in screenplay. But, not as biting as hoped, the violence was creative or as explosive as I hoped, etc. Again, I did like it a lot. But, yeah... Didn't love it.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Telemachos said:

Just to be super safe, B, I'm spoiler-tagging a bit of that post. :) 

Also, the movie generates plenty of heat and satire

Hide contents

by playing with the trope of white liberals trying to over-embrace black culture in an effort to make African Americans feel comfortable.

Sorry about that....i thought that was kind of given away in the trailer...but you are right.....my mistake.