85 members have voted

1. 1. Grade It:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

On 5/7/2017 at 7:55 AM, Jake Gittes said:

Great observation. I'm still baffled that this lost best editing to Hacksaw fucking Ridge of all films. 

Hacksaw shouldn't have even been nominated is the weirdest thing; even looking at other films nominated for an Oscars, it's clear that Manchester, Jackie, and O.J. are all better choices for that last editing slot for the nominees (the other four deserved to be there IMO)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blankments said:

Hacksaw shouldn't have even been nominated is the weirdest thing; even looking at other films nominated for an Oscars, it's clear that Manchester, Jackie, and O.J. are all better choices for that last editing slot for the nominees (the other four deserved to be there IMO)

I think LLL and Hell or High Water are the only ones that even deserved nominations. At least they didn't put Lion there I guess.

1 hour ago, Tele Came Back said:

HACKSAW had fantastic editing, and they did a smart job of pushing (to the guilds) how John Gilbert helped save the battle scenes and made them sing (working from sparse footage shot under a tough schedule with a minimal number of extras).

it had good editing, but imo of the noms this or ARRIVAL were clearly better picks

(Manchester and O.J. are probs my personal picks for editing last year tho)

12 minutes ago, Blankments said:

it had good editing, but imo of the noms this or ARRIVAL were clearly better picks

(Manchester and O.J. are probs my personal picks for editing last year tho)

IMO, all this does is illustrate how much we basically just prefer movies we like to win. (And, to be fair, this is largely the Academy's method as well). 

17 minutes ago, Tele Came Back said:

IMO, all this does is illustrate how much we basically just prefer movies we like to win. (And, to be fair, this is largely the Academy's method as well). 

And their best bias of them all (or least worst bias), making movie they like in category they do not always understand much like sound editing, mixing, sfx, etc.... is maybe not ideal but much better than any other bias (dislike/like the person and so on)

2 hours ago, Tele Came Back said:

I like Hacksaw Ridge tho (and to illustrate that more, I love Hell or High Water but I don't think it should've been nominated for Editing.)

(Also I'm aware Jackie and O.J. had no shot lol)

6 hours ago, Barnack said:

And their best bias of them all (or least worst bias), making movie they like in category they do not always understand much like sound editing, mixing, sfx, etc.... is maybe not ideal but much better than any other bias (dislike/like the person and so on)

Thought you might find this interesting, Barnack. 

To qualify as an official U.S.-China co-production, a film’s story must contain considerable Chinese cultural elements and Chinese professionals must make up a large portion of the cast and crew; but in return, the U.S. partner is permitted to take 43 percent of the movie’s Chinese box-office revenue, instead of the usual 25 percent U.S. studio imports receive under China’s quota system.   http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/great-wall-can-china-hollywood-productions-be-saved-1005240