85 members have voted

1. 1. Grade It:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

On 1/16/2017 at 7:20 PM, Jason said:

An aside: I tried to look for some internet commentary on this, on this site as well as using Google, and couldn't find any. Was the camera going very slightly out of focus during the more fantastical scenes like the opening number, or the floating at the observatory? I thought that was clever, but it was so subtle I couldn't be completely sure.

I consciously noticed that quite a few scenes were out of focus. I don't know anyone else who thinks this though so maybe we are crazy :lol:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AndyLL said:

That's because you've always had a secret desire to jump out of your car and burst into song when suck in LA traffic

I think about that day

I left BOT at a Greyhound station west of BoxOfficeMojo

Ethan was 17

But it wasn't sweet it wasn't true

Still I knew what I had to do

Cause I, just knew.

NEXT TIME ON SHITTY SONGS THOUGHT UP OF IN 5 SECONDS

Edited by That One Guy
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, That One Guy said:

I think about that day

I left BOT at a Greyhound station west of BoxOfficeMojo

Ethan was 17

But it wasn't sweet it wasn't true

Still I knew what I had to do

Cause I, just knew.

Thanks for ruining La La Land for me, schmuck.

• Like 1

On Monday, February 06, 2017 at 6:15 PM, RandomJC said:

It was a movie. A long beautiful looking movie with good music and a very, very dull story. Where Emma Stone gets to find love and be happy, and Ryan Gosling gets to be alone and miserable.

Lol what

so i saw la la land dunno what the la la is all about around it , its cute sweet novel but not in a "you blew my mind away" way  It was no tearjerker or awww OHmyGOD BEST MOVIE EVAHHH either . 

ads in france raving about it but ehh , i haven't given the movie a thought since i saw it 

I guess i just didn't connect with characters for most of the movie then the ending just had me really , you invest in another person dream, help them become their best version and some other guy/girl gets to reap the rewards wtf , guess its about perspective you could also espouse view showed in film that its ok to just know you mattered and impacted someone life in a selfless way with being ok their future doesn't include you .

this being hollywoood though you can imagine her marriage breaks down like overwhelming majority and they find their way back to each other eventually , i think what bothers me is that she's married with kid and he's clearly still very much alone still very much in love with her and yet she got away or he let her go and it didn't pay off ehhh 

my real life romance status is bleaker than bleak ville so this didn't exactly cheer me up or make me hope! mehhhhhhhhh

B

Even more scattered thoughts as I re-watch the Blu-Ray:

- Perhaps it's because I skipped most of the Oscar ceremony because I was traveling that day, but I still have so much difficulty wrapping my head around the fact that "City of Stars" won the Original Song Oscar. It's a pretty little song that works well in solo and duet forms, but "Audition" is a far more affecting song that also carries much heavier dramatic heft. My heart races hearing the lyrics of "Audition," while "City of Stars" is just nice, pleasant, and then done.

- "Start a Fire" is handily the most underrated song in the soundtrack. I know it's supposed to mark the turn toward Sebastian's low point as a sellout, but it's a polished, catchy pop song that does a solid job of integrating several aesthetically-pleasing jazz elements. It's also far more interesting than anything John Legend has done since the mid-2000s ("Glory" excepted - clearly the movies are getting more out of John Legend musically than the music industry itself) and would put most of what's on the Top 40 right now to shame.

- Speaking of "Start a Fire," I'm quite taken with the subtle effect of the editing in the scene. Prior to that point, the film opts for longer takes and overlaying of shots - a la the classical musicals Chazelle is clearly channeling - but that scene utilizes the quicker cuts associated with more recent decades. It also serves to illustrate that Seb's involvement with the band has caused his life and Mia's to begin to move at a dizzying rate that neither is sure how to keep up with in their more sedate and romanticized worldviews.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Webslinger said:

- Speaking of "Start a Fire," I'm quite taken with the subtle effect of the editing in the scene. Prior to that point, the film opts for longer takes and overlaying of shots - a la the classical musicals Chazelle is clearly channeling - but that scene utilizes the quicker cuts associated with more recent decades. It also serves to illustrate that Seb's involvement with the band has caused his life and Mia's to begin to move at a dizzying rate that neither is sure how to keep up with in their more sedate and romanticized worldviews.

Great observation. I'm still baffled that this lost best editing to Hacksaw fucking Ridge of all films. 

Edited by Jake Gittes