filmlover

The Great Limited Christmas Rush

Between December 21-28, all of these movies will be launching in platform release (aka the NY/LA areas):

Patriots Day

A Monster Calls

Silence

20th Century Women

Hidden Figures

Live by Night

Paterson

Anyone else thinking that this is a bit much, even if some of these (A Monster Calls, Live by Night) are just qualifying openings?

• Like 1

I guess the "loser" (aka the one with the lowest PTA) will be Live by Night, especially if reviews end up not being kind (like many are speculating), but then The Lovely Bones did fine-ish in wide release after getting poor reviews and doing rather hell-ish numbers in limited release, so that probably won't be a problem.

2 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

I know they all have to screen in LA so they can qualify for the Oscars, but perhaps a way to alleve this issue would be to start their campaigns in other cities beside New York?

I guess one way to look at it is: is it actually a problem? The qualifying run is literally about awards, and the vast vast majority of Academy voters (my guess would be over 90%) live in LA or NY. So it's more about getting qualified *and* giving any Academy people the chance to see on the big screen (especially if they couldn't make any other screenings). Any BO logjam is sort of a side effect at most.

You're right that if they don't get good reviews and reception, they're probably dead in the water or awards, but isn't that true regardless?

Every year, Christmas has way too many wide releases. Kind of refreshing this year that most movies seem to have understood that they can expand in January and make good money instead. Since all limited releases will play in select theaters known for limited releases like Landmark or Arclight, I doubt this affects the movies too much. The smart decision by the limited movies is that they aren't going wide on the same date in December and instead spacing it out.

5 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Every year, Christmas has way too many wide releases. Kind of refreshing this year that most movies seem to have understood that they can expand in January and make good money instead. Since all limited releases will play in select theaters known for limited releases like Landmark or Arclight, I doubt this affects the movies too much. The smart decision by the limited movies is that they aren't going wide on the same date in December and instead spacing it out.

To be fair, Christmas Weekend this year has:

Assassin's Creed

Fences

La La Land (going wide)

Passengers

Sing

Why Him?

That's 6 wide releases so it's still a lot, just looks more manageable than usual.

• Like 1

I'm sure the studios know which places will do solid business for the limited release of the Oscar contender. 

I know the Arclight usually gets the limited releases but does a big multiplex like the AMC Empire 25 get them since they can accommodate them

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Between December 21-28, all of these movies will be launching in platform release (aka the NY/LA areas):

Patriots Day

A Monster Calls

Silence

20th Century Women

Hidden Figures

Live by Night

Paterson

Anyone else thinking that this is a bit much, even if some of these (A Monster Calls, Live by Night) are just qualifying openings?

They are going wide on different dates throughout January though, so it doesn't really matter.

A Monster Calls-Jan 6

Hidden Figures-Jan 6   

Silence-Jan 6

Also being released this weekend is Underworld:Blood Wars, which is for a niche audience. So pretty good counter-programming. I would not be surprised if Hidden figures beats it.

Live By Night-Jan 13

Patriot's Day-Jan 13

Also being released this weekend is The Bye Bye Man(horror), Monster Trucks(family) and Sleepless(action/thriller). None of these releases are threatening, again would not be surprised if  Live by Night and Patriot's Day both top them all.

Paterson and 20th Century Women are probably staying in limited release with small expansions depending on how well they do, i dont expect either of them to go into really wide release seeing as they're both small films. 

Edited by babz06
  • Like 1

Just now, Morieris said:

HF is also getting a fair amount of non LA/NY expansions on Christmas Day...in the end, they're just trying to qualify and will reach further later, I don't see the problem. Studios know what they're doing

Where's it opening other than NY/LA? Link?

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Where's it opening other than NY/LA? Link?

I just went to check the website for Hidden Figures and it's opening at both the Cinemark Palace and Aventura Mall on Christmas Day. Looks like it won't be that limited and will be opening exclusively in metropolitan areas first. Yet another movie I need to catch over the Christmas holidays lol.

1 minute ago, Morieris said:

I was surprised that someone gave the Seven Cities of Virginia the time of day but apparently the author is from there.

24 theaters. The movie is not expected to be a major awards player so perhaps they figured it was best to hit the big cities first and then go everywhere else after the holiday madness ended.