CJohn

Spider-Man: Far From Home | 2 JUL 2019 | 8th Most Profitable Movie of 2019

14 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

So next Spider-man film under 200mn Domestic ? or Tom Holland goodwill may take to 250mn?

MCU: 450ish   

Non-MCU: Too many details are unknown. Doubt it can go much lower than TASM2 adjusted which will be like 230 by then.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Knights of Ren said:

Just when I thought Jeremy Conrad couldn't get any worse, he does full melt down mode today.  What a damn hack!  The #BoycottSony is the dumbest thing I have ever seen, minus thinking a stock going down 0.1% was TANKING!

I'm starting to think that between having Spiderman in MCU and Jeremy Conrad's twitter meltdown, Feige picked the meltdown. Arguably the funniest shit around. Movies could never top that. ;) 

A lot of people seem to view the MCU connection as basically just window-dressing. Big misunderstanding of the modern movie environment. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Titan Man said:

LOL, you're vastly overestimating the attention span a regular consumer has. By October everyone will just forget this even happened.

The regular consumer is influenced by buzz. The MCU fanbase is very large, very against a non-MCU Spidey, and is likely to make the buzz around a non-MCU Spidey really, really toxic. 

• Like 1

There's not going to be a boycott, and so far as I can tell, even in the social media era, salty fans calling for one have yet to be even minutely successful with them... much like online petitions, calls for boycotts via hashtags aren't much more than expressions of impotent rage from people who have chosen to substitute fandom for more substantial pursuits in life... 

Whether the boycott ever happens or not... and they almost never do... the point of the boycott is to get satisfaction from calling for one and collecting hearts and likes for it. Not to actually hurt a financial institution in any meaningful way, which is almost impossible even if any of these superfans were that organized, and they're not...

Even if every one of this Jeremy Conrad's 84k twitter followers actually followed through with a boycott... and they wouldn't, less than 10 percent of those followers have likely ever interacted with him... but even if they did, you're looking at a 1-3% hit to the bottom-line... And that's the BEST case scenario for any boycott... Sony's not going to capitulate to THAT. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

With that said, I don't think Disney is in the wrong for wanting more than the current 5% deal. After all, it's their creative team that is the driving force behind the movies' success. But 50% is just stupid and forces Sony to make the logical decision that they're more likely to make more off a 100% profit of a 700m WW grossing Spidey film vs 50% of a $1.1b WW grossing Spidey film. 

Is it the logical choice, though?

According to Deadline (I know they don't know shit most of the time but it's the best source we have) TASM2 got $70m in profit, with ancillaries included.

If the 5% deal is true, then Marvel still gets 35m (5% off 700m, as far as I know that was the deal for every Marvel character including Fox and Universal) so basically they got 50% of the profit anyway. Now, I'm sure FFH got a way bigger profit considering it grossed far more and had a smaller budget, so even with 50/50 Sony benefits more from working with Disney that doing it themselves.

Of course these are a lot of assumptions, but Sony just seems confident that they can make Spidey work even though they haven't in a while. They did have ITSV and Venom (which I loved but we all know the sequel is going to fall hard) so it was the best time to negotiate. Either way I hope they meet in the middle because this is making money off Marvel's brand trust. 

9 minutes ago, LawrenceBrolivier said:

Don't fret for "Sony" as if he's a friend who is being done dirty. Sony is a giant corporation filled with a constantly revolving door full of hundreds of suits you've never heard of before who all make more than any of us will for as long as we live

Has an outside the subject, that is probably true for Sony USA, Sony Canada, etc... but Japanese corporation usually do not work like that, it is a very much work for life with a much different relationship between the employee and the corporation.

The CEO of Sony has worked for them for more than 30 year's

If you look on that list of executive:

https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/CorporateInfo/executive/

Hiroki Totoki at Sony since 1987

Shigeki Ishizuka at Sony since 1981

Kenichiro Yoshida at Sony since 1983

Toru Katsumoto at Sony since 1982

Did not go throught all of them, but most seem to have been at Sony for 30 year's or more

1 minute ago, LawrenceBrolivier said:

There's not going to be a boycott, and so far as I can tell,

Can't speak for others but Sony can kiss my $3.5 for Jumanji good bye 😛

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Menor said:

The regular consumer is influenced by buzz. The MCU fanbase is very large, very against a non-MCU Spidey, and is likely to make the buzz around a non-MCU Spidey really, really toxic. 

But the buzz will be dead and buried by then, there will be other irrelevant stuff for us to be outraged about.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Menor said:

But a boycott (maybe not organized, but just not wanting to see it) of future Sony SM related movies definitely could happen. The reaction to this news among the audiences (including a ton of casual fans) that propelled Homecoming and FFH to success is extremely negative. 

I haven't seen anything remotely negative from casual fans. Maybe that's just because whenever I try to see the reactions on the internet, the only people I can see are Marvel stans (ie. Marvel twitter or people from the marvel subreddit). 

1 minute ago, Rorschach said:

Everyone's still going on about this, huh?

But nobody bats an eye to the burning Amazon forest. Ahh, never change, humans, never change...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Can you imagine the overseas if they remove the MCU Link? Man it would be a bloodbath.

Spidey has always been huge overseas, even bad movies without MCU connection, Spider-Man 3 made $540M OS back in 2007, TASM & TASMmade $500M back in 2012 and 2014

China alone will get nuts if Spider-Man v Venom happens, $300M there 

Edited by raulbalarezo

2 minutes ago, Titan Man said:

But the buzz will be dead and buried by then, there will be other irrelevant stuff for us to be outraged about.

The existence and promotion of a non-MCU Spidey will prompt the negative buzz to rise back up. People will forget about it, but then they'll be reminded of it again, and will start shitting on it again.

I wanna see that sweet Spider-Man vs Venom movie. Who do I have to boycott for that to happen? Disney?

Venom 2 will make hype off the charts!! People will be very excited to see ANOTHER Spider-Man  VS. Venom in Spider-Man 3!!!!

Edited by Knights of Ren
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

The problem is not an organized boycott. The problem is just people losing interest. The Fox-men didn’t go out pitifully because people cared about not seeing it, the problem is people not caring about seeing it once you take away continuity with the version of the character that people have come to care about over the course of 5 well-received movies.

• Like 1

If Watts and the original cast/crew minus Fiege stays, I don't think the average GA member will notice the difference, apart from the MCU fan base but even then I still imagine a decent portion of them see any CBM anyways in theaters, as the hook is strong enough for a solid OW say idk like around $115M give or take $10M, legs will depend on quality. The boycottSony will likely last at most a few months. I was talking to my friends in the CBM craze and from the looks of it they were more or less indifferent. I do see Disney and Sony working out a deal, probably 85 for Sony/15 for Disney.