Jump to content
CJohn

Spider-Man: Far From Home | 2 JUL 2019 | ***ENDGAME SPOILERS ALLOWED***

Recommended Posts

On 7/10/2019 at 8:19 PM, TServo2049 said:

I do not like The Amazing Spider-Man 2 as a whole, but the opening scene with him quipping and being a wiseass to the villains like in the classic comics belonged in a better movie. Preferably one without The Itsy-Bitsy Spider reimagined as dubstep.

Yes! It opened really well and got my hopes up... then devolved into nonsense. Gwen's death is also done pretty well, but by then my eyes have rolled so far back into my head that I can barely watch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, John Harris said:

Yes! It opened really well and got my hopes up... then devolved into nonsense. Gwen's death is also done pretty well, but by then my eyes have rolled so far back into my head that I can barely watch.

TAS2 is actually amazing to watch on Netflix.

Just skip all the bad stuff. I mean there is only 30min left or so. But they are pretty amazing :)

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want Uncle Ben in the MCU dammit

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/10/2019 at 9:00 AM, Permanent Magnet said:

SM 2

SM 1

SM: HC

SM: FFH

ASM 

SM3 

ASM2

 

still haven't seen spiderverse 🙂

 

What the hell are you doing with your life, man? (Or...woman?)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Far from home is very very amazing. Way more enjoyable than the 1st one and a solid improvement. Enjoyed it very much. The mid credit scene is legendary!!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lucas said:

I want Uncle Ben in the MCU dammit

I...WANT...SPIDER-MAAAAAAAAAN!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope MCU adds their own Norman Osborn & Harry Osborn in future films. Peter can’t be Spidey without his buddy Harry. 🙋🏻‍♀️

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/10/2019 at 1:02 PM, ZeeSoh said:

This version of Spidey exists in the MCU, not in his own independent universe. This presents a lot of opportunities to differentiate it from the previous movies including interactions with other super hero movies. It would be weird not to have IM as the mentor/ father figure seeing that it was him that got him involved into the superhero stuff and made his suit. It just wouldnt make sense. Not to mention the fact that Marvel made an incredible arc out of the Tony/Peter relationship which we wouldnt have otherwise gotten in a stand alone universe. This is how it is in the comics and this is how it is supposed to be in a connected universe. 

 

And if someone wants the same old and see Spidey on his own, then they can go and watch the older movies but I am glad this version is different than the ones that came before. 

But it is NOT how it is in the comics. Despite how interconnected things are in the comic books, Peter Parker's Spider Man somehow managed to never have a mentor who is a more established superhero. Ever. And yet he became Marvel comic book's most popular character. Imagine that. The only Spider Man that did have such a mentor is Miles Morales. In his case it was Captain America.

 

Miles also wanted to impress Cap and join the Avengers, he went not to a public school but an elite charter school, he had friends and classmates who were racially diverse. This included his best friend and roommate who was a chubby Asian boy. He found himself involved in interracial relationships. Oh and he was written as a thirteen year old to fifteen year old, an age range Peter Parker had not been portrayed as, if ever, in over forty years. In fact all that I listed above had never been part of the Peter Parker backstory until the filmmakers of Homecoming, who were very aware of Miles' story, decided to lift it from the Miles Morales comic books. So when I read people raving about how they like this new fresh take on Peter Parker for the MCU I'm compelled to point out that the filmmakers lifted from Miles what made him different and gave it to Peter.

 

I totally understand Feige and Co going with Peter Parker for he MCU. But when they decide not to pursue Miles at that point but have no qualms taking characteristics and elements from his story for the Peter Parker films, that seems tacky. Plus it's annoying to see people give credit to the filmmakers for coming up with a different take for Peter when what they really did was steal work established for another character. As a comic book fan I have never seen that occur before in these films, not to this blatant extent.

 

Last of all the use of Tony Stark in Peter's life in Homecoming was a cash grab. It was a way of ensuring success of Homecoming by putting in the most popular Marvel film character in the movie. To those who think that was a natural move considering the setup in Civil War, I counter that that film also very much could have justified Captain America being in Black Panther and Winter Soldier being in BP a lot more too. That could have erased any concerns Disney or Marvel may have had about the overall appeal of a BP film worldwide. But the filmmakers from BP trusted they didn't need to make phony relationships with established Marvel screen heroes in order to sell their product. 

  • Like 2
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was thinking about how much I love this film even more so than I love The Winter Soldier and I had a realization: 

 

When I saw The Winter Soldier, I knew that I wanted the Russo Brothers to take over the Avengers franchise. After Far From Home, I really want Jon Watts to finish his Spider-Man’s trilogy that might defy even Cap’s in term of excellence and go for the actual big leagues:

Get Jon Watts to direct either the X-Men or the Avengers sequel. Hear me out: few teen assembly films work as well and feel as genuine as both Homecoming and Far From Home. In a lot of ways, there is a certain tradition already in the MCU with the directors jumping to bigger projects. 

 

What I’m saying is that I know that James Gunn would do an excellent job, same for Ryan Coogler. But there is something special about Jon Watts direction and I do think that he is on the path of earning something like I’m suggesting in the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Zatt Hawkguy Murdock said:

I was thinking about how much I love this film even more so than I love The Winter Soldier and I had a realization: 

 

When I saw The Winter Soldier, I knew that I wanted the Russo Brothers to take over the Avengers franchise. After Far From Home, I really want Jon Watts to finish his Spider-Man’s trilogy that might defy even Cap’s in term of excellence and go for the actual big leagues:

Get Jon Watts to direct either the X-Men or the Avengers sequel. Hear me out: few teen assembly films work as well and feel as genuine as both Homecoming and Far From Home. In a lot of ways, there is a certain tradition already in the MCU with the directors jumping to bigger projects. 

 

What I’m saying is that I know that James Gunn would do an excellent job, same for Ryan Coogler. But there is something special about Jon Watts direction and I do think that he is on the path of earning something like I’m suggesting in the future.

What's special about Jon Watts? There is nothing interesting about the way he directs his films. He's only component. None of the Spider-Man films come close to having the flair or the depth of the Gotg films and Black Panther. Hell, even in terms of comedy, Gunn plays a lot with the framing of a shot to make his jokes funnier while almost every joke in FFH and Homecoming is done with a shot reverse shot.

 

Also we got a way more genuine take at a high school comedy that made much more bold choices in terms of directing (especially great considering that it was the director's debut) just a month before FFH.

 

Jon Watts and Peyton Reed are part of the lowest tier of directors in this franchise and can be replaced by anyone if you ask me. Comparing Gunn and Coogler to Watts is like comparing Matthew Vaughn and James Mangold to Bryan Singer.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AccidentalVisitor said:

 

TLDR

Oh for fucks sake I was talking about interconnected universe and interactions with other SH characters as being comic accurate. 

 

And how in the world is it stealing, they created and owns both of the characters, they can very well do whatever the hell they want with them. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

What's special about Jon Watts? There is nothing interesting about the way he directs his films. He's only component. None of the Spider-Man films come close to having the flair or the depth of the Gotg films and Black Panther. Hell, even in terms of comedy, Gunn plays a lot with the framing of a shot to make his jokes funnier while almost every joke in FFH and Homecoming is done with a shot reverse shot.

 

Also we got a way more genuine take at a high school comedy that made much more bold choices in terms of directing (especially great considering that it was the director's debut) just a month before FFH.

 

Jon Watts and Peyton Reed are part of the lowest tier of directors in this franchise and can be replaced by anyone if you ask me. Comparing Gunn and Coogler to Watts is like comparing Matthew Vaughn and James Mangold to Bryan Singer.

100% agree with you. MCU SM are lower tier Superhero movies with emotional dose of Iron Man to attract audience. 

  • Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

MCU Spider-Man movies are a reboot of a character who had already been rebooted and yet, have still managed to give us a fresh, more realistic interpretion of teenage Peter Parker/Spider-Man. Based on that alone, I don't know how anyone can call these movies "lower tier." They may not be at the very top of the genre but they are the best live-action Spidey movies and near the top of the MCU imo. 

 

I had a chance to watch this for a second time and I'm just so impressed with the writing for Peter, Holland's portrayal and the way the writers approached the Peter/MJ dynamic. Peter/Gamora are my favorite MCU romantic pairing but I have to say, with Holland's acting, no one has pulled at my heartstrings quite like Peter Parker. Holland really makes you root for him in all things. 

 

Edited by Ororo Munroe
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watts is a bit boring ngl. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TMP said:

Watts is a bit boring ngl. 

His most bold work yet is Cop Car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MCU Spidey films have just been safe and entertaining.  Nothing wrong with that, but makes it difficult to really get invested in the character when they don’t make him a priority. 

  • Like 4
  • Disbelief 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Knights of Ren said:

MCU Spidey films have just been safe and entertaining.  Nothing wrong with that, but makes it difficult to really get invested in the character when they don’t make him a priority. 

I'm curious as to how he hasn't been a priority? Is this another "he's Iron Man Jr." take or...? 

Edited by Ororo Munroe
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the fucking TASM2 thread is ruining Spider-Man threads from BEYOND THE GRAVE

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.