CJohn

Spider-Man: Far From Home | 2 JUL 2019 | ***ENDGAME SPOILERS ALLOWED***

3 hours ago, Ororo Munroe said:

I'm curious as to how he hasn't been a priority? Is this another "he's Iron Man Jr." take or...? 

I really don't get it. Should it be that superheroes are never allowed to interact with each other in a shared universe? Was Thor not a priority in Ragnarok? I don't understand how you can watch Homecoming and FFH and think that "they're Iron Man movies". Does Iron Man get the main character arc? Is Iron Man the focus? No, he isn't. Peter is quite obviously the focus of both of them and the movies are 100% committed to his development. It seems like the very presence of other superheroes is enough for some to make these ridiculous claims that Peter isn't a priority.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 5

On 7/12/2019 at 8:12 PM, Lucas said:

I want Uncle Ben in the MCU dammit

You'll have to make do with Uncle Stark.

1 hour ago, Menor said:

I really don't get it. Should it be that superheroes are never allowed to interact with each other in a shared universe? Was Thor not a priority in Ragnarok? I don't understand how you can watch Homecoming and FFH and think that "they're Iron Man movies". Does Iron Man get the main character arc? Is Iron Man the focus? No, he isn't. Peter is quite obviously the focus of both of them and the movies are 100% committed to his development. It seems like the very presence of other superheroes is enough for some to make these ridiculous claims that Peter isn't a priority.

You know an opinion is stupid when a simple google search shows that Iron Man has a measly 7.5 minutes of screen time which is 1/10th of the screen time of Spiderman. Even more ridiculous is the opinion is that it is safe movie as if the previous 2 iterations took any risks whatsoever. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Menor said:

I think that people believe that it's a "cheap" way to boost a movie. Like yeah, if you do a shared universe you'll get way more money by boosting each movie with other characters.

No one can blame them, though. You see how Hollywood executives thought the same and lost hundreds of millions trying to replicate the MCU, thinking it was that easy. Even The Conjuring Universe (which is the only other sucessful shared universe, on a way smaller scale) is declining fast in just its 6th movie

I sort of understand the apphension people have with regards to how much of an impact Tony has had in Peter's early life as a superhero as that's obviously not the route any of the comics or movies have taken and coupled with the complete lack of Uncle Ben references (I know that's assumed knowledge for this version). 

But at the same time it's been executed so well and there's still so much time for the movies to explore Peter as he transitions for teenager to adulthood that I'm fully confident we'll get the more "traditional" Spider-Man as he really becomes the primary hero of NY. Also I think people love the Raimi films so much that the Tobey version will always be the definite version to some people. 

These Iron Man Jr. arguments make no sense to me. The kid became Spider-Man at 15, and is still only 16. Of course he will initially follow closely in Tony’s footsteps. He’s already rapidly becoming his own independent superhero. Any faster progression and these same people would call him a Mary Sue. I’m sure if Tony didn’t help him out early on many would be asking why he isn’t helping Peter and how it ruins the shared universe by not having a lot of interaction between characters. Peter already learned a valuable lesson in Far From Home: the world does not need the next Iron Man, it needs the first Spider-Man. I’m super happy we got this great and unique relationship for Spider-Man before we see him become the Spidey we all know and love. Makes the journey more rewarding and fun to look back upon as we see Peter progress as a character.

• Like 5

While I wouldn’t agree with the argument that Spider-Man hasn’t been a “priority” in the MCU, I’ve always been apprehensive about the idea of Iron Man playing such a large role in his life. Part of the reason that Spider-Man became so popular in the first place was precisely because he was a kid superhero who basically had to do everything on his own. Having his primary suits in the MCU all being advanced AI technology developed by Stark Industries, and having Iron Man serve as a father figure to him, kind of go against the idea of him being his own independent hero. 

Sure, Spider-Man has always had crossovers with other Marvel heroes, but he was primarily known to operate on his own. That’s why he wasn’t even originally part of the Avengers. 

It doesn’t help that the utter lack of even a passing mention of Uncle Ben makes it seem like Tony Stark has taken up that role instead. Before anyone comments, no, I’m not saying that we should see Uncle Ben getting shot again. I’m glad they didn’t bother showing us that. I just wish there would be some acknowledgement of how important Uncle Ben was to Peter’s life. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I actually do think they can and should do better by Uncle Ben and I do understand those who dislike how much of a presence Tony occupies in Peter's life. But I love that dynamic, I think it makes perfect sense and it makes Peter more relatable. He is still a kid after all and I really appreciate how much these movies have reminded us of that. He has plenty of time to be a more independent hero. 

7 minutes ago, Zatt Hawkguy Murdock said:

This would be AMAZING :ohmygod:

Would be a smart, simple, efficient way to tie two huge properties together. I approve.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

1 hour ago, Zatt Hawkguy Murdock said:

This would be AMAZING :ohmygod:

I absolutely love the idea...and it says Disney is gonna REALLY try to keep Spidey in their MCU house if they are dangling Wakanda/Black Panther material for the 3rd movie - that's their top tier right now:)...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Well that would be win-win for Marvel and Sony. Both Coogler and Watts want a piece of Kraven. 

On a sidenote, kind of tired of this recurring argument about Iron Man's presence in Spider-Man/Peter's life. Isn't it obvious by now that it is intentional? Look at it from the viewpoint of a layman set in the MCU, Iron Man/Tony Stark is the most popular superhero in the world. He was also the first superhero to reveal himself to the public. It wouldn't be farfetched that a nerd like Peter Parker would look up to someone like him: a tech genius turned hero. Heck even when Iron Man is a fictional character, he's so beloved now in pop culture. He's practically in every kind of merchandise, and his logo is iconic now. 

Segueing to another point, Iron Man has been the flag bearer and main mascot of Marvel for the last 10 years or so, when for decades prior it was always Spider-Man. It would also make sense if they're unconsciously wanting Spidey to be the main face of Marvel again and doing so by making him succeed to Iron Man. Not just from the box office point-of-view, but for the sake of the entire Marvel franchise. 

Edited by sahmeelg
Added a word
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)

If this can withstand TLK and claw its way to 400M, the MCU will have 9/18 movies in the 400+/1.1+ club. Perfectly balanced ;)   

Spoiler

Okay, until TLK, F2, TROS, and TS4 probably ruin things 😛 

Edited by Thanos Legion

I’m curious to see if there’s any correlation between the people complaining about all of the changes made to Spider-Man and the people complaining about Disney’s live action remakes.

Because it sure seems that some of you just want the same thing over and over again. We’ve already had five films involving Mary Jane, Gwen, Uncle Ben, the Osbornes, jock Flash, old May, exclusively NY, no mentor, super secret identity, etc. If that’s really what defines Spider-Man for you, just go watch those movies again. They’re still there and at least the first couple did a really good job with it.

Marvel is trying some new things with the character to keep him interesting to those that burned out on him with the other films. Notice how they haven’t touched a single villain that was in another film? And the general consensus is that they’ve done a solid job. Not perfect movies by any means, but they’ve managed to capture the essence of a young, immature superhero who struggles to balance his personal life with the pressure of being a superhero. THAT’S who Spider-Man is, not the little side details, and thank you Marvel for sticking true to that.

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Knights of Ren said:

At this point, I would just be happy for the villan not to be associated with Tony Stark.  

I'm also tired of every villian being tech-based. Can we get someone with real powers next time? 

1 hour ago, nick64 said:

I’m curious to see if there’s any correlation between the people complaining about all of the changes made to Spider-Man and the people complaining about Disney’s live action remakes.

Because it sure seems that some of you just want the same thing over and over again. We’ve already had five films involving Mary Jane, Gwen, Uncle Ben, the Osbornes, jock Flash, old May, exclusively NY, no mentor, super secret identity, etc. If that’s really what defines Spider-Man for you, just go watch those movies again. They’re still there and at least the first couple did a really good job with it.

Marvel is trying some new things with the character to keep him interesting to those that burned out on him with the other films. Notice how they haven’t touched a single villain that was in another film? And the general consensus is that they’ve done a solid job. Not perfect movies by any means, but they’ve managed to capture the essence of a young, immature superhero who struggles to balance his personal life with the pressure of being a superhero. THAT’S who Spider-Man is, not the little side details, and thank you Marvel for sticking true to that.

Thank you, what I have been trying to say

I don't really understand too, I love raimi movies and still the first 2 movies are the best SM movies for me, but that doesn't mean that I want the same story again

Like come on, we already saw Uncle Ben dies 2 times in 2 different movies.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Permanent Magnet said:

Thank you, what I have been trying to say

I don't really understand too, I love raimi movies and still the first 2 movies are the best SM movies for me, but that doesn't mean that I want the same story again

Like come on, we already saw Uncle Ben dies 2 times in 2 different movies.

For me as well, I would have got interested in SH/MCU if not for Raimi's trilogy. And imagine after Spider-Man 3 in 2007, Sony rebooted SM second time in less than 10 years (Tom Holland's Spidey debuted in 2016 in CA:CW)! Why shouldn't MCU's Spidey had a vastly different takes from the previous two? Why not synergised with the strongly asset in MCU? Why should the mentor/fatherly figure again be some an ordinary folk whose death made Peter Parker guilty all over again?

I can see Sony wants to make use of the young Tom Holland as much and as long as possible. And I can see Marvel Studio going to make Spider-Man one of central figures of Avengers. I can also see Spider-Man to get 6 solo movies (especially seeing Thor can get Thor 4). It is so plainly obvious that they are building up to Sinister 6. Vulture, Mysterio (he is NOT dead) are going to join Doc Ock etc in Spider-Man: Home 5/6.

When you have such a long term view of 6 Spidey solo movies, these two solo movies are like the first act of of a long serialised movie.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, justvision said:

For me as well, I would have got interested in SH/MCU if not for Raimi's trilogy. And imagine after Spider-Man 3 in 2007, Sony rebooted SM second time in less than 10 years (Tom Holland's Spidey debuted in 2016 in CA:CW)! Why shouldn't MCU's Spidey had a vastly different takes from the previous two? Why not synergised with the strongly asset in MCU? Why should the mentor/fatherly figure again be some an ordinary folk whose death made Peter Parker guilty all over again?

I can see Sony wants to make use of the young Tom Holland as much and as long as possible. And I can see Marvel Studio going to make Spider-Man one of central figures of Avengers. I can also see Spider-Man to get 6 solo movies (especially seeing Thor can get Thor 4). It is so plainly obvious that they are building up to Sinister 6. Vulture, Mysterio (he is NOT dead) are going to join Doc Ock etc in Spider-Man: Home 5/6.

When you have such a long term view of 6 Spidey solo movies, these two solo movies are like the first act of of a long serialised movie.

We’re on the same page but I want nine movies. 3 high school, 3 college, 3 adulthood.

I see how the idea would work, but can't Marvel just stick to a character's comic origins??