CJohn

Spider-Man: Far From Home | 2 JUL 2019 | ***ENDGAME SPOILERS ALLOWED***

6 minutes ago, Menor said:

If he's not in the MCU, it's not the same character. It's a different character with the same actor. 

VnQ2CNW.gif

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

Spider Man 3 made 1.12 billion in revenue, in 2007-2008 dollars, Spider Man 2 made 1088 millions in revenues for Sony in 2004-2005 dollars (about 1477 in 2019 dollars), not sure FFH was bigger than those for them.

And yes they can compromise (by giving gross point or a 25% stake, 50% is asking for a lot)

I agree, but that was a different time. The brand was never going to be as big as it is now without Marvel’s help. Sony had no idea what they were doing with TASM movies. Marvel revitalized the brand and created an incarnation really love and are aware is (was) a core part of the MCU. 50% is too much, but Sony should be more willing to compromise when they have much more to lose than Disney. They can probably do well with the next movie or maybe two. But when people catch onto the fact that this is essentially a different Spider-Man played by the same actor, we will be in TASM territory once again.

10 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

Yeah I mean movie ended in a set up to mcu

spiderman probably was gonna be pillar in next avengers type movie 

but spider verse showed sony can still make a good Spider-Man movie  

I loved Spider-Verse so my issue isn’t whether or not Sony can make a good Spider-Man movie. Clearly fans of the original Spider-Man movies found those to be good too, though I didn’t. I’m just bummed that we won’t be getting Spider-Man in the MCU anymore or have him interacting with other heroes. And yes, I know this is a point that some didn’t like about Spider-Man in the MCU, which is why they’re happy. But the superhero genre has grown to the point that many fans expect those kinds of interactions. I guess I’m saying expecting that Sony may continue to make good Spider-Man movies doesn’t negate the fact that this news sucks. 

• Like 1

Just now, Eric! said:

All studios have inept executives and decisions. I like to poke fun at studios from time to time, but that doesn't mean I want a studio to go away, resulting in thousands of jobs lost and less films in a year to be released, especially when Feige is the only creative who won't be in the next movie. We're still gonna get Holland and Zendaya and whatever, we're still gonna see the story continue. If just having one guy not be in charge of the next one is that much of a dealbreaker, that says a lot about you.

Without the MCU it's not the same story. This will be some weird reboot version with the same actors. That said I don't want Sony itself to fail, just all of their live action Spider-Man related films 

Just now, AJG said:

Disney got to sell merchandise without splitting profits with Sony (they also have to pay Sony a fee every time Marvel chooses to merchandise one of their films).

Merchandise right was already bought by Marvel in the past (for 175 millions + stopping receiving point on the box office + paying Sony to make movies), that was not gained by that deal.

• Like 1

I wonder when Tom Holland got this news and exactly what his contract legally requires of him. If he has the option to refuse to play the character in a non-MCU movie that might be able to get negotiations going again.     

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Doctor Stark said:

Hopefully that piece of shit studio crashes and burns so Marvel can buy back the rights. So sick of their stupid decisions, I can’t believe they would do this after Far From Home’s resounding success.

Sure let’s support the collapse of another Big Six studio that will have consequences in the film industry because Disney got greedy.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord

Good news, for the sake of some diversity with creative ideas and styles. With Fox now gone we would just end up with WB and Disney CBM movies. And especially the MCU movies feels the exact same (for me). so some more variety is good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)

I love all of these people who never come into these threads coming in now to act holier than thou. Yeah, we are mad. We finally get a great version of Spider-Man who can grow up in the proper Marvel universe, and Sony (as usual), has gotten arrogant and is going to screw it up like they do with most of their major franchises.

Edited by Doctor Stark
  • Not Cool 4

2 minutes ago, 75Live said:

VnQ2CNW.gif

How? Are you saying the MCU didn't make up a big part of this Spider-Man's arc? Please do enlighten me on how exactly he can be the same character without being in the MCU.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Thanos Legion said:

I wonder when Tom Holland got this news and exactly what his contract legally requires of him. If he has the option to refuse to play the character in a non-MCU movie that might be able to get negotiations going again.     

Tom Holland would be a grade-A dumbo if he did that.

Always secure the bag.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

See the Spidey sequels will still take place in the MCU but the rest of the MCU will now ignore the Spidey. 

Why would Marvel let the sequels occur in the MCU at this point?

4 minutes ago, AJG said:

Sony paid the movie budget and did all the promo.

Disney got to sell merchandise without splitting profits with Sony (they also have to pay Sony a fee every time Marvel chooses to merchandise one of their films).

Disney lost time and resources that could be used to make movies they actually make money from, and potentially good release windows allowing SpiderMan MCU movies to make bank. 

Well, if Disney wanted 50% of the profits for these films, then it kind of sounds like Sony would’ve gotten the short end of the stick in the deal. At the very least, Disney should’ve negotiated for a smaller portion of the profit. 

What is up with people wanting a movie studio to fall under and wanting 1000s of people laid off because Spider-Man isn’t in mcu anymore. 

Mcu could use deadpool, x men, fantastic four 

endless possibilities. Just seem people getting entitled to hard  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Menor said:

Without the MCU it's not the same story. This will be some weird reboot version with the same actors. That said I don't want Sony itself to fail, just all of their live action Spider-Man related films 

They can still follow up the story without mentioning Tony or Thanos or whatever.

Spoiler

Peter will still be on the run, the Skrull stuff can easily get rewritten into another MCU movie for Nick Fury to pop up in, May and Happy can break up, etc.

Why do people think all of a sudden Holland is just gonna go through a new origin story, and all the stuff from the last few movies will be abandoned? He's still gonna be the exact same character, going through his arc, but with a few retooling and rewriting. It's really not that big a deal.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

He won't and I don't expect him to. He will put his career first as he should. There should be a fan campaign though like there was for Gunn.

I don't even know what I want Sony to give me first: Spider-Man vs Venom or Spider-Verse (Holland, Maguire, Garfield). Can't we just get both like... in 2021? One on the Summer and the other on Thanksgiving.

• Like 3