CJohn

Spider-Man: Far From Home | 2 JUL 2019 | ***ENDGAME SPOILERS ALLOWED***

1 minute ago, kitik said:

Why would Sony be against this? Just like being in the MCU helped Spidey out, we can say with 100% certainty that Black Panther or Blade or Dr Strange showing up would definitely boost a Kraven/Morbius/whatever movie.

It’s the whole “Disney gets 50% of the profits” thing that was a turn-off for Sony. 

Seen a lot of reports that negotiations are still ongoing. I think a compromise will be reached. I doubt Sony really wants to take Spider-Man from the MCU, they just (reasonably) don't want to split 50%. Looks like Deadline jumped the gun a bit.

• Like 1

50/50 is ridiculous. Disney does not need that, they want it. We should applaud Sony for standing up to the mouse honestly. It's just way too much, I think a 30/70 split would be fair for all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

I never understood why Marvel would bank so much of the story on a character they didn’t even control. It was a fools errand on their part. Hopefully they can kill off the character in a plausible way and let it go die over at Sony. 

They tied Spider-Man into the MCU so deeply that it would be tough for Sony to continue without them. Which is what's happening.

• Like 3

if tom holland doesn't come back i've figured out how to save face on this. do a quick rewrite of Venom 2 so now it's a reverse Spider-Man 3 where Tom Hardy finds the spider-man suit and becomes spider-man.

• Like 8
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 2

Venom, Tom Hardy and Michelle Williams brought us here.

Great job everyone.

:bravo:

There definitely going to come to a compromise.  DAMNIT Deadline for getting me excited.  Spider-Man will continue with his mediocre ways in the MCU. Hopefully just for one or two more films.  

• Not Cool 2

10 minutes ago, aabattery said:

giphy.gif

This raises the big question: will there finally be room for a Bruce Campbell cameo in a Spidey movie again?

• Like 1

Glorious. Can you imagine a SM4 with Tobey and Raimi?  :cloud9:

• Thanks 3
  • Astonished 1

Just now, infamous5445 said:

They tied Spider-Man into the MCU so deeply that it would be tough for Sony to continue without them. Which is what's happening.

Not hard at all. Hire a new actor and plop out a new movie in a few years. Bring in Venom and Carnage. It won’t be MCU big but that’ $800m+ right there. 

The MCU is the one who messed up. How do they explain away Spider-Man now if they can’t use him again?

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

Spider Man 3 made 1.12 billion in revenue, in 2007-2008 dollars, Spider Man 2 made 1088 millions in revenues for Sony in 2004-2005 dollars (about 1477 in 2019 dollars), not sure FFH was bigger than those for them.

And yes they can compromise (by giving gross point or a 25% stake, 50% is asking for a lot)

SM3 cost about $100m more to make unadjusted - and I gather far more to market.  The fact is by ASM2 revenues were way down and costs were still sky high

I'm surprised that the stake was not negotiable.  Doesn't Sony pretty much get co-financing on all it's films anyway?  Why balk at co-financing with Disney who are producing the films and have made SM a huge success again instead of other partners?

I think it probably has more to Sony wanting to make  SM/Venom universe and Feige and Disney not wanting to mesh The MCU with that (and LOL at Rothman giving Venom polish in the editing room).

Disney/MCU on the other hand now have X-Men, FF, Silver Surfer, Dr Doom etc to use and why take up a spot n the calendar every 2 years and boost SM more in the MCU in crossovers if they're just getting 5% of the gross - which is about what they were getting back in 2002  (though pennies for the DVD sales - which really sucked) when they weren't in charge of producing the films (though they had producers on them - and which is the main reason they started their own studio in the first place.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Menor said:

Seen a lot of reports that negotiations are still ongoing. I think a compromise will be reached. I doubt Sony really wants to take Spider-Man from the MCU, they just (reasonably) don't want to split 50%. Looks like Deadline jumped the gun a bit.

That's probably more likely. This also could've been an attempt to negotiate through the press a bit.

• Like 2

Just now, kitik said:

This raises the big question: will there finally be room for a Bruce Campbell cameo in a Spidey movie again?

Cast Bruce Campbell as Spider-Man you COWARDS

Tom Hardy would eat Tom Holland's Spidey. Not even in the Venom suit, just normal Eddie Brock Hardy

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, TMP said:

Tom Hardy would eat Tom Holland's Spidey. Not even in the Venom suit, just normal Eddie Brock Hardy

it'll be more like The Santa Clause where tom hardy kills him, steals his suit, and then suddenly has the frame of a 17 year old boy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TMP said:

Does Tom Holland taste like chocolate and tater tots?

9 minutes ago, raulbalarezo said:

thats on jan ?

• Haha 1