CJohn

Spider-Man: Far From Home | 2 JUL 2019 | ***ENDGAME SPOILERS ALLOWED***

2 minutes ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

Ah my bad.

Funny, I just saw news of Insomniac was just bought by Sony.

And they mentioned repeatedly how they intend to make more Spider-Man games lol. I'm assuming there was a clause to develop more, so even if Marvel were to be vindictive, they're probably not able to do anything right now.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Menor said:

Doesn't have to be all or nothing. They could compromise at say 20-30%.

Disney never went for it with Universal and Hulk and rarely co-finance stuff at all, I imagine it is hard to get them to accept just 20-30% without giving something else quite significant.

4 minutes ago, Doctor Stark said:

Both companies are screwing up here, but the reason everyone sees Sony as the bad guy is because they have constantly fucked up with this IP.

Come-on now, not being particularly good from time to time (I mean from Spider Man 1-2, Spiderverse it is still a mixed record of very high high) does not make a company bad guys, we are not talking about child labor, protecting sexual abuser type of stuff, just doing 60% on RT movies from time to time, but 9/10 one also from time to time.

Okay if Sony brought back Tobey Maguire, I'd be on board. That I can say.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Porthos said:

50% is ridiculous and Disney deserves to take backlash here too. That said, I don't think the 10-15% number is correct bc Disney would be sharing in the costs as well. 

• Like 1

As someone who is Team Switzerland in the whole anti/pro MCU debate, I think this something along these lines was pretty inevitable.  You have two companies fighting over a shit ton of money. 

Now one would think that since it IS a shit ton of money, they could sit down and figure something out.  Sadly, that is not how it works at times.

You have one company which, literally, just got the biggest movie of all time and is absolutely crushing all expectations when it comes to popularity, attention, and box office.  On the other hand, you have another company which is doing pretty damn good for itself as well, all things considered.

So, when it comes to carve up the Spider Pie, one side feels it deserves more and the other side feels that it is giving up too much. And it's understandable on one level since one company is in the middle of the most successful run since perhaps going all the way back to the studio days of old.  On the other hand the other company feels like that doesn't mean they should just sit back and let themselves be run over.

Really, the amazing thing might be that there ever was a deal in the first place between the two.  But now that the power balance has shifted more than a bit, there's gonna be an ugly fight.

Don't get me wrong, it'll probably be resolved. In the end, I think there's enough incentives, including public pressure, for something to get worked out.  

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Menor said:

50% is ridiculous and Disney deserves to take backlash here too. That said, I don't think the 10-15% number is correct bc Disney would be sharing in the costs as well. 

Shared that not because I agree with it, but showing that sentiment might be shifting somewhat as people  online digest the alleged deal.

• Like 1

Is anyone else starting to wonder about how different Phase 3 of the MCU would’ve been if Sony never shared Spider-Man with Marvel in the first place? I know they first announced the Phase 3 slate back in 2014, but it’s really interesting to speculate on how the whole thing would’ve turned out without Spider-Man. 

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

Shared that not because I agree with it, but showing that sentiment might be shifting somewhat as people  online digest the alleged deal.

Which is good. Disney absolutely has a large share of the blame here.

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

Disney never went for it with Universal and Hulk and rarely co-finance stuff at all, I imagine it is hard to get them to accept just 20-30% without giving something else quite significant.

Come-on now, not being particularly good from time to time (I mean from Spider Man 1-2, Spiderverse it is still a mixed record of very high high) does not make a company bad guys, we are not talking about child labor, protecting sexual abuser type of stuff, just doing 60% on RT movies from time to time, but 9/10 one also from time to time.

Come on, you know I meant bad guy as in they are the party being viewed negatively by the general public. It’s the fact that we were going to finally get a complete arc for Peter Parker that was consistently great, and Sony is screwing that up for the third time now. They failed with Spider-Man 3 and TASM 1+2 due to being out of touch and meddling too much, and now they are yanking Spidey out of his most beloved portrayal yet. Peter is only 16, we could have followed him for another decade. Instead we get three team ups and only two solo movies. Sony’s going to pump out to more awkward and disjointed "Not in the MCU" Holland movies, and probably cross him over with their trash Venom universe. This company deserves all the hate they are getting, they can’t even manage their own flagship brand properly.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ddddeeee said:

lmao

Funnily enough, Feige & Co were negotiating with Sony back in May 2015 to get Spidey into the MCU while your movie Tomorrow Land was earning hundreds of millions for the Dinsey corporation.

Funny how that works in  the Magical Kingdom of the big mouse.

Oh Brad, how many people who lost dozens of millions for their employee still have a job ?

Oh Brad you sweet, brave, innocent child.

Youi truly live in Disney land.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Okay if Sony brought back Tobey Maguire, I'd be on board. That I can say.

Not happening, nor should it. He was the worst Peter Parker and highly overrated as Spider-Man. 

• Like 2
  • Not Cool 1

Sony's dirty laundry was also aired in the email leaks and Rothman himself had some pretty embarrassing Spider-Man ideas in those whereas Feige's suggestions all sounded very smart (which Sony prompty ignored)... that's really the source of the lack of trust in addition to TASM movies just as a whole. 

Just now, WittyUsername said:

Is anyone else starting to wonder about how different Phase 3 of the MCU would’ve been if Sony never shared Spider-Man with Marvel in the first place? I know they first announced the Phase 3 slate back in 2014, but it’s really interesting to speculate on how the whole thing would’ve turned out without Spider-Man. 

Couple of scene are a little bit different in Civil War ?

He is completely absent of almost all movies and can easily remove Spider Man when he is present no ?

Civil War hold up a bit better thematically ?

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Doctor Stark said:

Come on, you know I meant bad guy as in they are the party being viewed negatively by the general public

Well that was my point I doubt the general public see a company negatively for not delivering always a 7.5/10 or above movies with a franchise, is it really some real issue ?

Edited by Barnack

Just now, Barnack said:

Couple of scene are a little bit different in Civil War ?

He is completely absent of almost all movies and can easily remove Spider Man when he is present no ?

Civil War hold up a bit better thematically ?

But his death in IW had a major impact on Tony’s character. Would his arc in EG have been as effective without that pivotal moment?

5 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Oh Brad, how many people who lost dozens of millions for their employee still have a job ?

Among the people that just had 3 giant success in a row ? Almost all of them ?

Yeah Disney needs to cut the shit out too. Something like 20% is much more reasonable. They should get more than they have now, but not 45% more.

2 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Lemme say the three magic words

"TRS vs Jumanji"

Ahem. 

Folks who know their European History, especially when it comes to WWII, might surmise an undercurrent to my phrase by my using the word "Switzerland" as opposed to "Neutral". :ph34r:

• Haha 5