CJohn

Spider-Man: Far From Home | 2 JUL 2019 | ***ENDGAME SPOILERS ALLOWED***

People do know that Disney is supposed to try to make money, right? It’s not some moral failing, it’s literally what their purpose for existing is.

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I agree that Disney's proposed deal is ridiculous. The amount of money the future Spidey movies would have to make under that deal would have to be absurd in order for Sony to still come out ahead versus making Spidey movies outside the MCU with 100% of the profit. Disney will budge though, the fan outcry and backlash would be far too massive for them to risk it all for money they certainly don't need. 

Yeah, I doubt they'd tarnish their golden goose for such a petty reason. That said I'm worried because I don't trust these executives to be entirely rational. 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 1

With that said, I don't think Disney is in the wrong for wanting more than the current 5% deal. After all, it's their creative team that is the driving force behind the movies' success. But 50% is just stupid and forces Sony to make the logical decision that they're more likely to make more off a 100% profit of a 700m WW grossing Spidey film vs 50% of a $1.1b WW grossing Spidey film. 

5 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

People do know that Disney is supposed to try to make money, right? It’s not some moral failing, it’s literally what their purpose for existing is.

And Sony isn’t supposed to try and make money? It’s not unreasonable for Disney to want a bigger piece of the pie, but they can’t demand 50% and expect Sony to just agree to it. 25% would’ve been more reasonable. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, WittyUsername said:

And Sony isn’t supposed to try and make money? It’s not unreasonable for Disney to want a bigger piece of the pie, but they can’t demand 50% and expect Sony to just agree to it. 25% would’ve been more reasonable. 

Exactly. And tbh, I’m guessing that’s exactly the deal that will end up happening when all is said and done here. Disney needs to get a grip, they’re power tripping big time right now.

• Like 1

The way I see it, Sony probably was willing to negotiate but Disney is coming from a position of power wrt public impressions. So they laid down their offer and then leaked this whole thing. Disney is not getting 5% of the profits they seem to be getting 5% of the first day sales which may be significantly less than 5% of the profits. However, that is more than I thought they were getting in the first place and it seems like Sony gets nothing from Spider-Man being used in the MCU other than Holland making money.

I do think the merger has always been weird and I actually do not know what the relationship between Sony and Tom Holland is, from the beginning it has always seemed to Toms understand he was only SM within the MCU and considering that Kevin is the one that called to offer him the role after it was leaked on IG I have always questioned who is running the show wrt Spider-Man. Additionally, now that Amy Pascal is out of Sony and she was the main link between the two parties I wonder what has been going on behind the scenes.

I know that the article said that two movies with Jon Watts and Tom Holland were in development but I question what that even means wrt actual contracts being signed.

Tom is in a weird space because he has so many links with both of the companies and he has to play this carefully so he doesn't get screwed because billionaires are going to remain rich and pissing either party off is not a good career move. I don't think the social media "unfollows" mean anything because I am not sure if or when any of the cast were following Sony Pictures on instagram and Tom still follows them on Twitter while not following Marvel Studios on Twitter. Smartest play for Tom right now is to keep his head down and hope they can come to a resolution.

Disney is the bigger loser for not negotiating.  Sony still profits from Spider-Man, just probably less than Spidey in the MCU, and Disney loses out getting to use Spidey in the MCU.

Just now, kings24450 said:

The way I see it, Sony probably was willing to negotiate but Disney is coming from a position of power wrt public impressions. So they laid down their offer and then leaked this whole thing. Disney is not getting 5% of the profits they seem to be getting 5% of the first day sales which may be significantly less than 5% of the profits. However, that is more than I thought they were getting in the first place and it seems like Sony gets nothing from Spider-Man being used in the MCU other than Holland making money.

I do think the merger has always been weird and I actually do not know what the relationship between Sony and Tom Holland is, from the beginning it has always seemed to Toms understand he was only SM within the MCU and considering that Kevin is the one that called to offer him the role after it was leaked on IG I have always questioned who is running the show wrt Spider-Man. Additionally, now that Amy Pascal is out of Sony and she was the main link between the two parties I wonder what has been going on behind the scenes.

I know that the article said that two movies with Jon Watts and Tom Holland were in development but I question what that even means wrt actual contracts being signed.

Tom is in a weird space because he has so many links with both of the companies and he has to play this carefully so he doesn't get screwed because billionaires are going to remain rich and pissing either party off is not a good career move. I don't think the social media "unfollows" mean anything because I am not sure if or when any of the cast were following Sony Pictures on instagram and Tom still follows them on Twitter while not following Marvel Studios on Twitter. Smartest play for Tom right now is to keep his head down and hope they can come to a resolution.

Disney gets major merchandising boosts from Spidey in the Avengers.

7 minutes ago, Jordanstine said:

Tom Holland’s dad:

Family members always think they're being helpful and they rarely are actually helping the situation. He should know better as he is somewhat in the business but he should let the multi-billion dollar companies hash it out without the possibility of articles being written about what Tom Holland's dad said on the situation.  Especially if a deal is not reached and people will impart his comments on to his son.

• Like 1

I really fear Sony will be bullied into accepting Disney's ludicrous terms.

24 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Well yeah, Sony is also supposed to try to make as much money as they can. I really doubt that pursuing non-MCU spider-man movies will accomplish that for them.

Edited by Thanos Legion

46 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

No one needs to spin this in Disney's favor. The fact that the consensus was to immediately blame Sony says it all. Sony is the one with the bad rep for ruining live-action Spider-Man. And regardless of what you think of Disney, to say they are being greedy for wanting a larger share of profits for movies they produce is simply ridiculous. Maybe 50/50 is too much but falling back on the default criticism of big bad evil Disney is just lazy.

By the way, there is a viral video on twitter of Garfield saying he was heartbroken by what Sony basically did in sabotaging his Spider-Man. That  will be Holland sitting in that same situation if Sony is back in control of the character again. And ultimately the only people who lose are Sony and the fans. Consider that while you're cheering for underdog Sony to stand its ground against evil Disney. 

This has nothing to do with how Sony handled Spider-Man in the past (Spider Verse shows they can still deliver high quality SM films - the most critically acclaimed SM film ever), but everything to do with Disney increasingly pushing its boundaries. Sony is no underdog and don't try to spin my words as it's some kind of poor company fighting for the voice of the common people - it's a massive corporation - however, with Disney having swallowed a major studio recently and is clearly extending its tentacles to have as much influence in the media as possible - I would argue Disney needs to take several fucking seats back. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Well yeah, Sony is also supposed to try to make as much money as they can. I really doubt that pursuing non-MCU spider-man movies will acxomplish that for them.

Venom did pretty well, and Spider-Verse also did reasonably well, and has potential for growth with future installments. Of course, if people are actually serious about boycotting anything Sony related (which is a really stupid thing to do), then maybe Sony will be forced to reconsider. 

4 hours ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Again I still felt the spin-offs took away a lot of energy from the franchise but I do agree they need to have a greater quality than the first as well as having a strong hook (I see them adding one if not all of Holland/Maguire/Garfield to 2 for power tbh)

Like I said before, they should do a Roger Rabbit and get animated Miles into Holland's live-action Spider-man universe. 

• Like 1

So next Spider-man film under 200mn Domestic ? or Tom Holland goodwill may take to 250mn?

Edited by Charlie Jatinder

1 minute ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

So next Spider-man film under 200mn Domestic ? or Tom Holland goodwill may take to 250mn?

over $300m dom.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1