CJohn

Spider-Man: Far From Home | 2 JUL 2019 | ***ENDGAME SPOILERS ALLOWED***

16 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I really fear Sony will be bullied into accepting Disney's ludicrous terms.

You probably shouldn't fear that, not only because it's not likely to happen... the fact they were willing to walk is why any of us even know this is a story at all... but because even if they do, it doesn't financially or monetarily affect us at all. So far as we're concerned, we get what we want no matter how the deal gets closed. 

Don't fret for "Sony" as if he's a friend who is being done dirty. Sony is a giant corporation filled with a constantly revolving door full of hundreds of suits you've never heard of before who all make more than any of us will for as long as we live. If Disney sticks them hard on this by manipulating a lazy media who substitutes Twitter discourse for legitimate reporting, it doesn't hurt you any, and never will, unless you're a stockholder, and even then, probably not... 

These aren't sports teams. They're entertainment corporations. Whoever "wins" this deal to keep Spider-Man in the MCU... which I firmly believe will happen before negotiations fully close in the next couple of years... the result will be the same for us. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Noctis said:

This has nothing to do with how Sony handled Spider-Man in the past (Spider Verse shows they can still deliver high quality SM films - the most critically acclaimed SM film ever), but everything to do with Disney increasingly pushing its boundaries. Sony is no underdog and don't try to spin my words as it's some kind of poor company fighting for the voice of the common people - it's a massive corporation - however, with Disney having swallowed a major studio recently and is clearly extending its tentacles to have as much influence in the media as possible - I would argue Disney needs to take several fucking seats back. 

Sony was always capable of making good SM movies but their attempts to go “bigger” have failed miserably. Spider-verse is a small movie compared to the Peter Parker films and what their ambitions are for the live action films. People definitely should be wary of Sony trying Venom vs Spidey again and going full Dark Phoenix on it. TASM2 and Spiderman 3 are pretty clear warning signs that when they go big, they fail hard. 

3 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

So next Spider-man film under 200mn Domestic ? or Tom Holland goodwill may take to 250mn?

Over 250 for sure.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

So next Spider-man film under 200mn Domestic ? or Tom Holland goodwill may take to 250mn?

Probably has enough good will with the GA thanks to Marvel to still make over 300. Just depends on how bad Sony Sonys it up.

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

And Sony isn’t supposed to try and make money? It’s not unreasonable for Disney to want a bigger piece of the pie, but they can’t demand 50% and expect Sony to just agree to it. 25% would’ve been more reasonable. 

Everyone who thinks there is a "good guy" and a "bad guy" in this situation has a fundamental lack of understanding of how business negotiations work.

Edited by LinksterAC
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Rebeccas said:

Sony was always capable of making good SM movies but their attempts to go “bigger” have failed miserably. Spider-verse is a small movie compared to the Peter Parker films and what their ambitions are for the live action films. People definitely should be wary of Sony trying Venom vs Spidey again and going full Dark Phoenix on it. TASM2 and Spiderman 3 are pretty clear warning signs that when they go big, they fail hard. 

Again...how Sony handles the films is irrelevant. 

I was not a fan of ASM2, I did not like SM3, and I also found Spider-Verse good but quite overrated. But what does that have to do with this merger?

3 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

450. Most likely scenario is still staying in the MCU. If it is indeed non-MCU, who knows how it could go? The buzz could get incredibly toxic. Tons of people would be shitting on the trailers, promotions, etc. from the get-go. It will probably be well below Homecoming at least.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TMP said:

over $300m dom.

if I am not wrong; you would have been among the lot saying FFH wouldn't do 300 because it will drop from HC.

12 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Venom did pretty well, and Spider-Verse also did reasonably well, and has potential for growth with future installments. Of course, if people are actually serious about boycotting anything Sony related (which is a really stupid thing to do), then maybe Sony will be forced to reconsider. 

If the Mulan boycott doesn't work, I don't see a Sony boycott working (I'm pretty sure most of the nerds who say they will boycott future Sony movies probably are already waiting to get the PS5). I don't see a Sony boycott working even if the Mulan boycott works because most people don't care. I'm pretty sure the new It's a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, Jumanji, and Little Women will become big hits this year.

Just now, LinksterAC said:

Everyone who thinks there is a "good guy" and a "bad guy" in this situation has a fundamental lack of understanding of how business negotiations  work.

I certainly don’t think there’s a “good guy” in this situation, but I’m inclined to think that Disney deserves a large part of the blame for this, and that boycotting one company but not the other is really stupid. 

4 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

TASM2 and Spiderman 3 are pretty clear warning signs that when they go big, they fail hard. 

That was under Amy Pascal. I trust Tom Rothman way more at least at keeping budgets low.

Reason to watch MCU film was not only catch the solo film but to see how it takes Saga forward. The post credit scene were most talked point of FFH which had hint toward MCU future. I know majority around me watched CM & BP just for their post credit scenes and how they connect to next Avengers film.

So minus that and of course some internet toxication.

1 minute ago, Orestes said:

Probably has enough good will with the GA thanks to Marvel to still make over 300. Just depends on how bad Sony Sonys it up.

Part of the reason Sony feels comfortable with the notion of walking from the deal in the first place is that, even if you discount Spider-Man 2 from the conversation, they still 100% in-house created the best Spider-Man movie in "Into the Spider-Verse" and won an Oscar for its content. The creative talent responsible for that movie is still more than happy to work with Sony on further projects, and Sony is more than happy to give them the money to do that...

The idea that "Sony" is the same company now that it was then doesn't make any sense. The turnover has turnover here... Almost none of the people making the creative and financial decisions now were around five years ago, forget about ten or fifteen... 

Just when I thought Jeremy Conrad couldn't get any worse, he does full melt down mode today.  What a damn hack!  The #BoycottSony is the dumbest thing I have ever seen, minus thinking a stock going down 0.1% was TANKING!

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I trust Tom Rothman

Words that should never be said unironically. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

And Sony isn’t supposed to try and make money? It’s not unreasonable for Disney to want a bigger piece of the pie, but they can’t demand 50% and expect Sony to just agree to it. 25% would’ve been more reasonable. 

They are welcome to. I would expect the next nonMCU film to be met with incredible failure in comparison to FFH.

• Like 2

Just now, lorddemaxus said:

If the Mulan boycott doesn't work, I don't see a Sony boycott working (I'm pretty sure most of the nerds who say they will boycott future Sony movies probably are already waiting to get the PS5). I don't see a Sony boycott working even if the Mulan boycott works because most people don't care. I'm pretty sure the new It's a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, Jumanji, and Little Women will become big hits this year.

I don't think a full Sony, or even Sony Pictures boycott will happen except among the saltiest of the salty. But a boycott (maybe not organized, but just not wanting to see it) of future Sony SM related movies definitely could happen. The reaction to this news among the audiences (including a ton of casual fans) that propelled Homecoming and FFH to success is extremely negative. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Menor said:

450. Most likely scenario is still staying in the MCU. If it is indeed non-MCU, who knows how it could go? The buzz could get incredibly toxic. Tons of people would be shitting on the trailers, promotions, etc. from the get-go. It will probably be well below Homecoming at least.

LOL, you're vastly overestimating the attention span a regular consumer has. By October everyone will just forget this even happened.

Edited by Titan Man
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Can you imagine the overseas if they remove the MCU Link? Man it would be a bloodbath.