As the grass grows

At any studio

At any juncture

Rothman will cut that junk picture

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Hot take: 

Spiderman into the Multi Verse is a great comic book movie but i feel its a bit overrated by people who sort of fetish about it to against the typical superhero fare that dominates. 

It's a very cute fun animated film that has superhero elements. I loved it and hope to see a sequel. Still feels absolutely nothing like End Game or even CM/BP etc. Felt like Inside out.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Walt Disney said:

Into the Spider-verse isn't better than 95% of the MCU's output by any measurable standard.

Oscars?

5 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Hot take: 

Spiderman into the Multi Verse is a great comic book movie but i feel its a bit overrated by people who sort of fetish about it to against the typical superhero fare that dominates. 

Considering how most mainstream animated films nowadays are seen as pretty by the numbers, Into the Spider-Verse was a massive breathe of fresh air for many people, with its unique animation style and fun premise. 

• Like 1

Just now, cdsacken said:

It's a very cute fun animated film that has superhero elements. I loved it and hope to see a sequel. Still feels absolutely nothing like End Game or even CM/BP etc. Felt like Inside out.

But Inside Out and Spider Verse are idk like way better than 2/3 of those films.

Disney finally wised up and realized they were allowing Sony to create an entire Spider-Verse monster that could challenge Disney's dominance of the Marvel properties.

But is it too late? Thanks to Venom, Sony already is well on its way to doing just that.

One tidbit i did find interesting: Apparently, Marvel/Disney was getting about 5% of Spiderman's box office take under the production deal. I had been under the impression that Sony got the entirety of the box office, paying Marvel/Disney just the cost of producing the movie, with Disney's side's gain being only the ability to use the Spider-Man character in their Marvel movies.

So really, of that $1.1B that "Far from Home" has grossed, Disney would have gotten about $55m from it, which is not an inconsiderable amount.

2 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

Disney finally wised up and realized they were allowing Sony to create an entire Spider-Verse monster that could challenge Disney's dominance of the Marvel properties.

But is it too late? Thanks to Venom, Sony already is well on its way to doing just that.

One tidbit i did find interesting: Apparently, Marvel/Disney was getting about 5% of Spiderman's box office take under the production deal. I had been under the impression that Sony got the entirety of the box office, paying Marvel/Disney just the cost of producing the movie, with Disney's side's gain being only the ability to use the Spider-Man character in their Marvel movies.

So really, of that $1.1B that "Far from Home" has grossed, Disney would have gotten about $55m from it, which is not an inconsiderable amount.

Disney also gets all the toy/merchandise sales, though. They aren't doing charity work.

32 minutes ago, Walt Disney said:

In your opinion, sure. However, Into the Spider-verse grossed about $190 M domestically and $375M WW.  Dumbo, which was not a hit under any stretch of the imagination, grossed about $114M domestically and $353M WW. Spider-verse didn't light the box office on fire. While the people that saw into the Spider-verse liked it, it isn't in the same league with the top grossing superhero films or the top grossing animated films. You would have to not adjust for inflation in order to find an MCU film that grossed that little. 

So by that logic is Minions a better movie than Inside Out or Zootopia?

11 minutes ago, Walt Disney said:

Into the Spider-verse isn't better than 95% of the MCU's output by any measurable standard. You keep saying that like it's a fact, when it isn't.

I mean the Rotten Tomatoes score both average score and percentage is higher than the MCU and most superhero movies. The Metacritic is also high, as well as being one of the few superhero movies to score an A+ CinemaScore.

• Like 1

I do have to wonder though how much Sony may actually want out of the Disney deal anyways. I know it sounds crazy at first, but then again when you consider they had the stipulation in place that if FFH didn’t meet the lofty gross goal of $1b WW, the partnership would end, maybe Disney just gave Sony the justified reason they wanted to finally get out. I’m sure there’s no way the huge breakout success of ITSV and Venom hasn’t given them at least ideas about wanting the property all to themselves and out from under the MCU restraints again.

10 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

I know, it felt like an actual movie. 

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Hot take: 

Hot Take :

Everything Spiderman Into the Multi Verse does would be impossible to do properly in a live action setting so the comparison is ludicrous, null & void.

But you are quite right, the "Spidey Multiverse is ibetter than every funny book movie/MCU" hot take feels so 2018 already ...

Edited by The Futurist

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Walt Disney said:

In a post a few pages back, Barnack posted numbers regarding how little TASM and TASM 2 actually made Sony, so we don't have to discuss how little Sony actually made.

Into the Spider-verse isn't better than 95% of the MCU's output by any measurable standard. You keep saying that like it's a fact, when it isn't.

Your point about animation doesn't make any sense either when we just saw Incredibles 2 put up amazing BO numbers last year and are watching Toy Story 4 put up great numbers this year. Frozen 2 will also put up numbers that will match up against almost any blockbuster. Animated films are grossing 1 Billion at the box office. Into the Spider-verse just isn't one of them.

I have him on ignore because none of his posts make sense due to his being very hard to read, so I didn't see any of those.

I don't know what "measurable standard" you want me to apply but Into the Spider-Verse is a better film than almost everything the MCU has put out. You can disagree with that, and apparently you do... but as a movie, it's better written, better directed, better designed... it's got better music... I don't know. That it didn't make as much money as it should have speaks to my point, like I said, that people don't want cartoons to count as much as live action movies do. I think this thread is a great example of that! That you're continuing to discount how good it is for the sake of being able to use the Venom comparison instead of the Spider-Verse one feeds into that, it doesn't refute it. 

It also calls into question just how "good" something has to be to make billions anyway, and if Venom almost got there then maybe all this handwringing over what Sony is guaranteed to do to it is a little overwrought since audiences seem to have a much lower bar for what a Spidey movie needs to do than we might here... And that's also part of the point I'm making... alongside the point that characterizing corporations as if they're a unique person with consistent behavior is a recipe for terrible speculation...

How about this... 95% (I like this number) of the worry we're discussing here is coming from completely powerless people hoping to wrangle some semblance of control over a thing they have no control over, and armchair quarterbacking is the means by which they make themselves feel better about the fact they've let themselves care this much about the umpteenth variation on a completely fictional character that's existed in one form or another for longer than our grandparents have been alive... No matter what happens here... and the likeliest answer is that the two sides will come to terms... the character will survive, movies and stories will be told, and we'll buy tickets to them and enjoy them based on whether or not they emotionally affected us for the hours we're in front of them... 

Edited by LawrenceBrolivier
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

That 1.1 billion is not for the studios to take, point tend to be on gross studio revenues, not sales, giving 10M to Disney because Far From Home made 200M in China would be giving a large share of the actual revenues.

49 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

While it is unfortunately true, this thread is about the last Spider-Man movie (and its possible sequels in the Venomverse).

I know, I'm talking about the Twitter-pocalypse yesterday, people were acting like the end of times is upon us.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

They got 5% of first day gross as i understood whay first dollar means in this case...

TTVOMJ

I have a strange feeling half of people here are ignoring the other half and the only dialogue happens between in-betweeners 

TTVOMJ

27 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I know, it felt like an actual movie. 

Absolutely. A wonderful kids movie. My 4 year loved it.

28 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Animation isn’t a genre, it’s a medium.

99% are very kid oriented and nothing wrong with that. I love kids films.

I just can't believe though that audiences would go for hitting reset on Spider-man for the third time in roughly a decade. First Spider-Man 4 gets canned, then Sony plans 6 TASM movies after the first and only makes it through two, and now supposedly three Holland trilogies were outlined and they might not make it through the first one. They can't keep not seeing things through with this franchise. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1