CJohn

Spider-Man: Far From Home | 2 JUL 2019 | ***ENDGAME SPOILERS ALLOWED***

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

But the THR article also left out that Sony gave other options.

Did the Deadline article mention that Sony gave other options? I can't remember any article talking about other options from Sony. I just remember both sides were negotiating.

Edited by Walt Disney

The existing deal is a pretty poor deal for Disney.  I'm surprised they entered into when SM was at a such a low and Sony definitely needed them more than they needed Sony no matter how much they wanted SM in the MCU.

Disney did not get a producing fee nor did Feige for the initial deal, say multiple insiders. “Just getting Spider-Man in even one of their movies at the time, that was a stem cell infusion for Marvel,” notes a source regarding the company’s willingness to make a deal at the time.

They got Disney and more astonishingly Feige for NO producing fee?  That's crazy.   It makes the Sony spin of Kevin is to busy to make SM movies - we'll miss him really amusing.  Yeah, he's too busy to do another movie for free and Sony will definitely miss him working for free.

Pascal made $10m off Venom when she wasn't involved much as a part of a far bigger back end deal she got for SM.   Kinsberg made $40m in producing fees off Deadpool.    Meanwhile the most financially successful Producer in Hollywood who runs his own studio is working hands on for free when he could easily producing another $1b+ movie instead.  Crazy.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/why-hollywood-studio-film-producer-deals-are-disappearing-1231089?

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, Walt Disney said:

Did the Deadline article mention that Sony gave other choices? I can't remember any article talking about other choices from Sony. I just remember both sides were negotiating.

Disney asked that future Spider-Man films be a 50/50 co-financing arrangement between the studios, and there were discussions that this might extend to other films in the Spider-Man universe. Sony turned that offer down flat. Sources said that Sony, led by Tom Rothman and Tony Vinciquerra, came back with other configurations, but Disney didn’t want to do that.

It seemed implied that it was due purely to the 50/50 split

1 minute ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Disney asked that future Spider-Man films be a 50/50 co-financing arrangement between the studios, and there were discussions that this might extend to other films in the Spider-Man universe. Sony turned that offer down flat. Sources said that Sony, led by Tom Rothman and Tony Vinciquerra, came back with other configurations, but Disney didn’t want to do that.

What were those counter offers or other options?

6%

7%

No one really knows.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

23 minutes ago, Walt Disney said:

Did the Deadline article mention that Sony gave other options? I can't remember any article talking about other options from Sony. I just remember both sides were negotiating.

5% of the gross to Disney - didn't say if that also meant investment.  The 5% deal is what Marvel got from the Raimi movies  before the deal was changed.    It didn't say if it included ancillaries but the original deal didn't except for something like .a fraction of a %.   That deal is one of the main reasons Marvel Studios decided to finance and produce their own movies.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, infamous5445 said:

How is this guy not banned?

The unintentional comedy

• Haha 3
  • Not Cool 1

1 minute ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

The THR article doesn't really contradict that. It just says that both sides claim that counter-offers were made that were never really made. 

4 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

The existing deal is a pretty poor deal for Disney.  I'm surprised they entered into when SM was at a such a low and Sony definitely needed them more than they needed Sony no matter how much they wanted SM in the MCU.

They got Disney and more astonishingly Feige for NO producing fee?  That's crazy.   It makes the Sony spin of Kevin is to busy to make SM movies - we'll miss him really amusing.  Yeah, he's too busy to do another movie for free and Sony will definitely miss him working for free.

Pascal made $10m off Venom when she wasn't involved much as a part of a far bigger back end deal she got for SM.   Kinsberg made $40m in producing fees off Deadpool.    Meanwhile the most financially successful Producer in Hollywood who runs his own studio is working hands on for free when he could easily producing another $1b+ movie instead.  Crazy.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/why-hollywood-studio-film-producer-deals-are-disappearing-1231089?

Basically Kevin Feige worked pro bono for Sony to show them that Spider-man in the MCU works.

Sony then gave Feige more work asking him to include Venom into the MCU and work on that film too, that was when Feige wanted a raise, which Sony said, “hold on a minute, you mean you don’t want to do all this new work for us for the same rate we’re giving you? What!?!?” 

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

The more I hear about this deal, the more I’m surprised that it lasted this long. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

I wanted to like this post, but I ran out of likes for the day, so *Double Like* 

Edited by Walt Disney
  • Like 2

So. Sony is the friend who’s been mooching off your Netflix password, and loses their mind when your suggest they pay for some of the monthly fee. 

Got it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Astonished 1

1 minute ago, captainwondyful said:

So. Sony is the friend who’s been mooching off your Netflix password, and loses their mind when your suggest they pay for some of the monthly fee. 

Got it.

:lol:  Mooching and making $100s of millions off it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guess it was naive to think that a deal that was as "nice" as this was going to last this long. All eyes will definitely be on Venom 2 is the situation doesn't change. 

21 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

I can't imagine Sony would consider walking away without the knowledge that they still had another Tom Holland Spidey film left cause I doubt the GA would be very accepting of yet another reboot of Spider-Man unless it was live action Miles Morales or something. 

He does have one more film so Spidey 3 will happen whether Tom Holland likes how its done or not. But beyond that? I don't think Sony would be too keen on rebooting AGAIN this soon.

4 minutes ago, Knights of Ren said:

Venom 2 is going to make a billion, and Sony is going to give Disney the official Middle Finger!

Only if has another Eminem song. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

Got it. 

My brother mooches off my Netflix and I asked him to sub to HBO so we can share it.

He hasn't subbed to HBO 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

This deal does suck but I don't think you can overstate how much Holland's Spider-Man brought to IW. It's such an iconic moment/meme. Probably worth it for Disney. 

• Like 1
  • Not Cool 1

3 minutes ago, MrPink said:

My brother mooches off my Netflix and I asked him to sub to HBO so we can share it.

He hasn't subbed to HBO 

This is why nothing exists unless it’s in writing 😘

Just now, captainwondyful said:

This is why nothing exists unless it’s in writing 😘

I hold the keys to the kingdom. I can change the password anytime I want. I am just benevolent. That's what my ego tells me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4