CJohn

Spider-Man: Far From Home | 2 JUL 2019 | ***ENDGAME SPOILERS ALLOWED***

1 hour ago, Minnale101 said:

Yeah, no thanks.

Let's give Sony a chance guys. Save the pitchforks and insults if the film fails in a spectacular fashion.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I'm not boycotting the next movie because I like the cast and the fact that the writers are returning. I still have very little faith in Sony. Lets see if they can find a good director (if Watts isn't returing) but beyond that, I hope they keep their fingerprints off this movie. 

Edited by Ororo Munroe

I think I'm not opposed to let Sony do their job but I'm just sad we won't get to see Spidey interaction with new avengers and new members of MCU potentially Dead pool... I'm gonna be sad if the deal doesn't happen tbh. But I'll be there 1st day 1st show for Spidey .. He is my favorite Superhero, I can't hate him.😊

• Like 1

I would say that the best Spider-Man movies we’ve had have been the ones that weren’t produced by Marvel Studios, so I’m certainly not going to just assume that the next film will be terrible. Then again, I also wasn’t super crazy about the MCU’s take on Spider-Man, what with the high tech AI suits and the father-son dynamic with Iron Man, so maybe I’m just a little biased. Anyway, the MCU will manage perfectly fine without Spider-Man. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Macleod said:

The question should be: How do you tell a great Spider-Man story without any MCU surroundings? 

It's very easy, and it's been done loads of times before, in comics and film.  The script will treat past events as loosely as they can; Peter's "mentor" will shift back to regretting Uncle Ben's death ...or be vague about Stark.  

A line like "I lost someone; he meant a lot to me."   The audience can infer what it wants.  And if the story "time jumps" a year or two later, there probably won't be Stark billboards everywhere anymore, either.  Solved. 

Peter has adopted a new "home-made" suit to start anew, or to lay-low as a different "masked" identity, and without Stark's emotional baggage (more toy possibilities, too).  If his identity is compromised...he might develop a different suit entirely...say...a black one?**  "Ned, what do you think?  I thought this might look cool while I'm supposed to be incognito."  Ned: "Didn't you wear something like this in Europe?  It's just like Night Monkey!"

(No mention of SHIELD, Fury, Stark, etc. needed.  Plus...think about how FFH ends...it throws up all kinds of questions and possibilities.)

Why does the Stark tower need to be in any of the film?  What is going on there, anyway?  It was sold in Homecoming, right?  But we were never told who to!  Osborn industries buys or builds a new skyscraper.  The audience can assume or not that it was formerly Stark towers. 

See how easy it is? 

**(See where I'm going with this? Imagine if Far From Home's antagonist's conceits turn out to be ...real.  It's discovered within the next movie that the possibility exists.  And guess who pops through in the post-credits scene?)

See, you say it’s “easy,” but the scenario you describe doesn’t work for me.  I just don’t buy it.  Without the MCU, his narrative is diminished.  

20 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I would say that the best Spider-Man movies we’ve had have been the ones that weren’t produced by Marvel Studios, so I’m certainly not going to just assume that the next film will be terrible. Then again, I also wasn’t super crazy about the MCU’s take on Spider-Man, what with the high tech AI suits and the father-son dynamic with Iron Man, so maybe I’m just a little biased. Anyway, the MCU will manage perfectly fine without Spider-Man. 

I'm not going to assume the next Spider-Man movie will be terrible but Sony hasn't produced a good live-action Spider-Man movie in 15 years. There is little reason to be optimistic going forward, save for the fact that they have the best portrayal of Peter Parker/Spider-Man yet. The audience loves Holland but that won't be enough if the movies themselves aren't good.  

11 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

I'm not going to assume the next Spider-Man movie will be terrible but Sony hasn't produced a good live-action Spider-Man movie in 15 years. There is little reason to be optimistic going forward, save for the fact that they have the best portrayal of Peter Parker/Spider-Man yet. The audience loves Holland but that won't be enough if the movies themselves aren't good.  

Right, also their only good Spidey movies have been ones without the baggage that this one inevitably has (i.e. trying to be a BIG villain heavy set up). Spiderverse was its own thing and much smaller. Before that it was SM2... which is a very long time ago. With their current Venom, Morbius, etc stuff I have absolutely no confidence Sony won’t try that SM3 or TASM2 shit again. 

32 minutes ago, LinksterAC said:

See, you say it’s “easy,” but the scenario you describe doesn’t work for me.  I just don’t buy it.  Without the MCU, his narrative is diminished.  

It will probably be easier to just see the next Spider-Man film as being akin to the MCU Hulk film, where it’s essentially a reboot, but it will most likely have a story that will broadly continue where the previous one left off. The key difference would be that they’re presumably going to keep all the same actors from the previous movies, which will no doubt confuse people. 

I liked Spider-Man 3 but then I watched in theatre when I was 10 and I had pretty low standards 

made a shit ton of money 

2 hours ago, Macleod said:

It means exactly what it means.  He had a great opportunity that no other Spider-Man actor had to interact with this "MCU" thing on screen.  But he's ultimately employed by Sony, and they will continue making Spider-Man movies, likely with him in them, as long as they're grossing what they are.  Sometimes things aren't mysterious doublespeak.  😉

But hey, everyone here is telling me that everything is doublespeak for "negotiations are still going on"

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

But hey, everyone here is telling me that everything is doublespeak for "negotiations are still going on"

bc they do  ,that doesnt mean however that what he said had to mean something

Edited by john2000
  • Like 1

Let’s be honest; we’re all gonna see the next movie regardless if it’s set in the MCU or not.

If Tom and everyone else in the cast is coming back, if Watts and his crew are coming back, then I don’t see how it’s gonna suddenly drop at the box office. The average moviegoer won’t notice or care about any MCU connections.

Also I don’t think it's hard to cut out the MCU references. I feel like FFH wrapped up the “next Iron Man” character arc pretty nicely for Spider-Man, so it would make sense for there to be no more references to Tony (thankfully as well, Peter needs to independent like he is in the comics). And personally I don’t see what other MCU character could be featured as the next “costar” for Spider-Man to interact with in his own movie. As for the Vulture and Mysterio’s connection to Stark, the suit technology and etc, they can just ignore it and not talk about it. Any future villains can come from Oscorp or from their own backgrounds (e.g., Doc Ock in Spider-Man 2). 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Whatever happens, what matters most is that the next Spider-man movie is good.

The bad thing is that the MCU was one of the few major studios that did not suffer from "executive produceritis"*, while Sony seems to be terminally ill with the thing.

*also known as "too many cooks". when a studio is run by a bunch of incompetent idiots, among them some lunatics with airforce/giant mechanical spiders/villain shoehorning fetishes

• Like 1

1 hour ago, john2000 said:

bc they do  ,that doesnt mean however that what he said had to mean something

There's not really any evidence that any negotiations are currently still going on...unless you subscribe to fan whisper blogs...  I think we're back to Sony-Spidey for a while...until they get desperate again.  😂

• Disbelief 1

I'm very impressed with how Tom has handled this whole situation.   Some Marvel fans online have said he should quit if the deal did't go through but that would hurt his career.  I actually think he could increase his salary now in the next movie.   This whole incident shows how some of the fandom out there are unaware of understanding that this is he movie "BUSINESS" because that's what it is, a Business.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LinksterAC said:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

In all seriousness...I get you, man.  But Sony will do what they do...and we'll see what the results and box office will be. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

Let’s be honest; we’re all gonna see the next movie regardless if it’s set in the MCU or not.

If Tom and everyone else in the cast is coming back, if Watts and his crew are coming back, then I don’t see how it’s gonna suddenly drop at the box office. The average moviegoer won’t notice or care about any MCU connections.

Also I don’t think it's hard to cut out the MCU references. I feel like FFH wrapped up the “next Iron Man” character arc pretty nicely for Spider-Man, so it would make sense for there to be no more references to Tony (thankfully as well, Peter needs to independent like he is in the comics). And personally I don’t see what other MCU character could be featured as the next “costar” for Spider-Man to interact with in his own movie. As for the Vulture and Mysterio’s connection to Stark, the suit technology and etc, they can just ignore it and not talk about it. Any future villains can come from Oscorp or from their own backgrounds (e.g., Doc Ock in Spider-Man 2). 

I will see it on Netflix/streaming for sure.

Edited by cdsacken

Marvel built up Spider-Man as the next Iron Man and then ended FFH on a giant cliffhanger that nobody in their universe will ever be able to mention or reference.

They deserve this L. 

• ...wtf 2
  • Not Cool 1