Dementeleus

ROGUE ONE WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals R1 155.09m, Moana 12.7m, OCP 8.58m, CB 7.1m, FB 5.07m

1 hour ago, boomboom234 said:

Isn' t your take also "cool" and "edgy", how can people hate popular things I like it must have because their insecure. Of course differing opinions don't exist there is only one accepted view of TFA 

1 hour ago, Treecraft said:

You're right, even though I love Star Wars to bits and was genuinely disappointed and upset by The Force Awakens and thought it was awful, I'm just saying that to be "cool". Just to make me feel better about myself (despite the fact I felt absolutely gutted, like my heart had sunk, the day after watching TFA).

It's not about different opinions about the movie. If you saw it and didn't like it, that's totally fine and you're not insecure at all. Of course, you're entitled to your own opinions. However, there are people out there that like a movie when they first see it, but when they hear it broke records/was tremendously successful, they sometimes change their tune and hate on a movie because other people do it. Even worse, some people do this if they haven't even seen the particular film. That's the problem I was adressing. Those people are insecure, not you. I apologize that you guys took my statement the wrong way, I didn't mean to discredit your opinion.

• Like 2

Just now, Jayhawk said:

ANH is probably the most important movie of all-time when it comes to VFX lol. Saying the VFX is bad shows an utter lack of knowledge and appreciation for film history,

True but imo the most important movie of all timein term of VFX and by far is 2001 a space odyssey ^^

TOday it looks still great ..... was made in 1968 for god sake 1968.... maybe kubrick was helped by aliens who knows :D

• Like 4

ANH still has some great effects by today's standards.

2 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

ANH is probably the most important movie of all-time when it comes to VFX lol. Saying the VFX is bad shows an utter lack of knowledge and appreciation for film history,

For James, film started in the late-nineties. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, POTUS said:

It's only in the Friday report as part of the weekend forecast. They could put previews in parenthesis in OD box. Put a note in the suggestion box

Google works fine if you are interested in specific films, but it is a bit of a pain if you want a list of top preview/midnight figures.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

:ph34r: ANH has better effects than most movies today.

Lol, it's the only reason i can't watch the OT, cause of it's visual effects, it looks so fake. Yeah i might have been mightblowing good then but now it's just bad. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

People forget, how ground breaking it was. It along with Jaws are the godfather of modern day blockbuster.

• Like 3

Quick spoiler-free thoughts: Thought it was really good. The strongest moments of this are stronger than TFA or pretty much most blockbusters of the past five years. Edwards' has a spectacular visual sense. But also this movie, especially the first half, feels chopped to shit in the editing room at times. I know that seems like a cliche complaint cuz the reshoots, but man alive can you feel some production problems on screen. Feels like it replaced 10 minutes of character development with 10 minutes of plot exposition or action, at least. Still great time. 

• Like 2

Just now, pepsa said:

Lol, it's the only reason i can't watch the OT, cause of it's visual effects, it looks so fake. Yeah i might have been mightblowing good then but now it's just bad. 

I too agree that everyone is entitled to their opinion, but this one is just mind blowingly wrong.

When I watch Towering Inferno, a film from 1974, I watch it and think to myself, "How the hell did that they do that?"  I don't think to myself, "Pffft...even a movie like Office Space had better fire effects."

To say that VFX from 40 years ago on SW are horrible is just plain wrong.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Bonenash said:

True but imo the most important movie of all timein term of VFX and by far is 2001 a space odyssey ^^

TOday it looks still great ..... was made in 1968 for god sake 1968.... maybe kubrick was helped by aliens who knows :D

I agree, and I'm not huge on 2001 admitedly (this coming from a guy that loves Kubrick's work - The Shining, Dr. Strangelove, and A Clockwork Orange are masterpieces imo), but I would rank as the single most important VFX achievement in film history. Even in 2016, that movie looks STUNNING.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bonenash said:

Without 2001 there would be no Star Wars. It's kind of like how you wouldn't have the Rolling Stones or the Beatles if not for early pioneers in blues and rock and roll.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, pepsa said:

...but...they aren't. And even then you can't call the movies bad because of it.