Dementeleus

ROGUE ONE WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals R1 155.09m, Moana 12.7m, OCP 8.58m, CB 7.1m, FB 5.07m

33 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I'm curious about how Sing does because I'm thinking it'll be successful domestically but not so well OS similar to The Lego Movie and The Lorax. 

about how much successful you're seeing? $250M or more closer to $300M?

I can easily imagine Manchester playing out like this

Dec 16-18: $4.5m (14.3m total)

Dec 23-25: $3.5m (20m total)

Dec 30-Jan 1: $4.5m (30m total)

Jan 6-8: $3.5m (36.5m total)

Jan 13-15: $2.6m (40.5m total)

Jan 20-22: $2m (44m total)

And that's just before the nominations. If it gets another serious expansion at that point (like The Descendants did five years ago, going to 2000+ theaters) it's heading for 60-70m. I think 50m is safe anyhow at this point. Wonderful success for all involved.

• Like 1

Just got back from Rogue One

This movie was made for the fans. The true diehard Star Wars fans. That's the best complement I can give considering I was strongly opposed to these Disney Star Wars films, and I didn't like the EU lore was did away with, but I noticed a lot or similarities between this film and past things I had read in the books. I really enjoyed it!! Glad they kept some 'lore intact.'

All my itches were scratched. All the characters were pivotal in the story. The plot wasn't forced at all, and it fit seamlessly into the Star Wars universe. I'm going again in IMAX.

Special effects were top notch too. Couldn't tell one poorly down shot in the entirety of the movie. The last act of the movie a lone it worth it! I'm telling you the 3rd act of this movie kicks all kinds of ass. Had a special space battle too. Ranks up there with some of the best of all time including Return of the Jedi. Rotj probably still has my favorite space battle of all time, but this one is up there. There's lots of great fan service to the original films too. Being a huge Star Wars fan growing, I dug the references to the other movies.

Definitely recommend. Liked it WAY WAY more than TFA

A

• Like 16

1 minute ago, FilmBuff said:

Just got back from Rogue One

This movie was made for the fans. The true diehard Star Wars fans. That's the best complement I can give considering I was strongly opposed to these Disney Star Wars films, and I didn't like the EU lore was did away with, but I noticed a lot or similarities between this film and past things I had read in the books. I really enjoyed it!! Glad they kept some 'lore intact.'

All my itches were scratched. All the characters were pivotal in the story. The plot wasn't forced at all, and it fit seamlessly into the Star Wars universe. I'm going again in IMAX.

Special effects were top notch too. Couldn't tell one poorly down shot in the entirety of the movie. The last act of the movie a lone it worth it! I'm telling you the 3rd act of this movie kicks all kinds of ass. Had a special space battle too. Ranks up there with some of the best of all time including Return of the Jedi. Rotj probably still has my favorite space battle of all time, but this one is up there. There's lots of great fan service to the original films too. Being a huge Star Wars fan growing, I dug the references to the other movies.

Definitely recommend. Liked it WAY WAY more than TFA

A

so-beautiful.gif

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

Hopefully this time next year I can finally watch 6 really good Star Wars movies in order without having to include the prequels...

Me too  new order of watching Star Wars movie next year. 

Rogue One

New Hope 

Empire Strikes Back

Return of the Jedi

The Force Awakens

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I can easily imagine Manchester playing out like this

Dec 16-18: $4.5m (14.3m total)

Dec 23-25: $3.5m (20m total)

Dec 30-Jan 1: $4.5m (30m total)

Jan 6-8: $3.5m (36.5m total)

Jan 13-15: $2.6m (40.5m total)

Jan 20-22: $2m (44m total)

And that's just before the nominations. If it gets another serious expansion at that point (like The Descendants did five years ago, going to 2000+ theaters) it's heading for 60-70m. I think 50m is safe anyhow at this point. Wonderful success for all involved.

I can see it getting a wider expansion at the end of January

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

Hopefully this time next year I can finally watch 6 really good Star Wars movies in order without having to include the prequels...

Was thinking the same thing after round 2 last night. They really can be officially erased now basically. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Quigley said:

Up to Thursday, Disney had made $2,530M (not incl. Rogue One's Thu-night gross). Moana is actually expected to make another $45-60M until the year's end. As for Rogue One, based on $152M opening weekend, if it follows the trajectory of SW7 it will make between $400-440M by Dec 31. If it follows Sherlock Holmes 2 (which opened on the same date in 2011 – Dec 16), it will make between $470-480M. These two are the best comparisons I've found. An average brings it to $435-460M. At the low end of these projections: 2,530 + 45 + 435 = 3,010

It will be close but I think that Rogue One's OW will actually be higher than $152M and it will have a higher multiple than SW7, so Disney will make it to $3B. And even if it doesn't it will be really close. So to answer your question: YES, it is really possible and indeed probable, but not certain.

I don't think Moana will make more than $40m the rest of the year, and I don't think R1 can top $300m. But I hope you are correct. 

• Like 1