Dementeleus

ROGUE ONE WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals R1 155.09m, Moana 12.7m, OCP 8.58m, CB 7.1m, FB 5.07m

9 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Pretty sure he's been holding one since Godzilla was released and the spin off was announced.

While you are right my initial reaction to R1's announcement was a very negative one, it was for multiple reasons. Of course I loathed Godzilla, so there was that trepidation with Edwards. I hated the idea of Disney milking Star Wars dry with unnecessary "anthology" films, and I always thought this story absolutely was not one that needed to be told. I can sum up the movie's plot in one sentence that EVERYONE who watched the OT would already know. I mean it's great that some people loved R1, but at least admit how utterly void of necessity this film was. It was an absolute footnote of a subplot that you knew everything about already! If that doesn't scream cash grab on the studio's part, what does? 

All that aside, I was actually hyped for this after TFA last year because I was on such a Star Wars high and I was willing to give it a chance. Then the marketing hit. MEH. Then the reports of Disney being unhappy with the film and reshoots. Uh-oh, The Edwards Strikes Back just as I feared. 

Finally, when reviews were much better than I admittedly anticipated and BoxOfficeZ chimed in with a rave, I decided to go in with an open mind. Nope, every fear I had was realized and then some. I mean I for one never expected the sheer boredom to be such an issue here. Even that caught me off guard. I figured, "hey it's still Star Wars", gotta be some entertainment in there right in spite of Edwards?  Nope. Not for me. 

Edited by MovieMan89

17 minutes ago, Eevin said:

$300m before the end of the year, or $300m total?

I understood it as 31 December (looks like that is already confirmed) = I liked that he/she hopes for the other (higher results thinking) members to be right.

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

While you are right my initial reaction to R1's announcement was a very negative one, it was for multiple reasons. Of course I loathed Godzilla, so there was that trepidation with Edwards. I hated the idea of Disney milking Star Wars dry with unnecessary "anthology" films, and I always thought this story absolutely was not one that needed to be told. I can sum up the movie's plot in one sentence that EVERYONE who watched the OT would already know. I mean it's great that some people loved R1, but at least admit how utterly void of necessity this film was. It was an absolute footnote of a subplot that you knew everything about already! If that doesn't scream cash grab on the studio's part, what does? 

All that aside, I was actually hyped for this after TFA last year because I was on such a Star Wars high and I was willing to give it a chance. Then the marketing hit. MEH. Then the reports of Disney being unhappy with the film and reshoots. Uh-oh, The Edwards Strikes Back just as I feared. 

Finally, when reviews were much better than I admittedly anticipated and BoxOfficeZ chimed in with a rave, I decided to go in with an open mind. Nope, every fear I had was realized and then some. I mean I for one never expected the sheer boredom to be such an issue here. Even that caught me off guard. I figured, "hey it's still Star Wars", gotta be some entertainment in there right in spite of Edwards?  Nope. Not for me. 

Only thing is your complaint makes no sense because film is just a medium like books and games. There's been tons of books and games done for SW. What's the difference between the EU books and games, and the new anthology movies?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mulder said:

Only thing is your complaint makes no sense because film is just a medium like books and games. There's been tons of books and games done for SW. What's the difference between the EU books and games, and the new anthology movies?

Um, the medium of course! Films, books, and games are vastly different from each other. For starters, films are far more subject to diminishing returns for franchises than those other mediums are. You can have thousands of comic books of a story, but try doing that in film and it won't take long to overstay the welcome. That's why Bond has gone through so many ups and downs as a film franchise. But at least with that they are continuing the main story, not going into a bunch of subplot spin offs. Also, I'm far from the only one who thinks Star Wars was the most "special" cinematic franchise out there. These anthology films will ruin that and Star Wars will be the MCU before we know it. Some films good, some films bad, some films huge, some films just mild successes. No films truly special or events anymore. 

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Um, the medium of course! Films, books, and games are vastly different from each other. For starters, films are far more subject to diminishing returns for franchises than those other mediums are. You can have thousands of comic books of a story, but try doing that in film and it won't take long to overstay the welcome. That's why Bond has gone through so many ups and downs as a film franchise. But at least with that they are continuing the main story, not going into a bunch of subplot spin offs. Also, I'm far from the only one who thinks Star Wars was the most "special" cinematic franchise out there. These anthology films will ruin that and Star Wars will be the MCU before we know it. Some films good, some films bad, some films huge, some films just mild successes. No films truly special or events anymore. 

But see that's just the same as the books and games. You're not giving a reason why it's different besides "Money". That's not a valid reason. Also if we talk about that, at least it's new films rather then Lucas constantly tinkering with 1-6 and I say that as someone who's ok with the special editions ((Sacrilege I know)). All Rogue One was to me, was an EU story told through the medium of film rather then as a novel or comic book or game.

• Like 2

Just now, Daxtreme said:

MovieMan is still at it I guess?

I said ignoring IronJimbo was the best policy, I also mean MovieMan by the way, if only until he calms down on this Gareth Edwards = ruined my childhood thing :apocalypse:

You probably won't see this, but for what it's worth that hasn't been at all what I've been saying. I'm expressing my issues with the film in a very valid manner. Anyone is free to put me on ignore, but don't pretend I'm going on a raging incoherent rampage because you don't like my opinions. ;)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Daxtreme said:

MovieMan is still at it I guess?

I said ignoring IronJimbo was the best policy, I also mean MovieMan by the way, if only until he calms down on this Gareth Edwards = ruined my childhood thing :apocalypse:

Flailing around and bashing the movie is the only option now that the financials seem to not be working out.  

• Like 5

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

Would you take issue if a man said the same things?

Between this and "no one will see La La Land because Emma Stone is too skinny," you're on a roll these days.

If some lefty guy tried to market a film by repeatedly trashing the other side, absolutely.  It was a stupid strategy and the film is bombing in a most entertaining way.

And if you don't think the Emma Stone of today is much, much sicklier skinny than she was in Superbad, then your eyes aren't working.

Just google "Emma Stone" and "skinny" or "weight loss."