Dementeleus

ROGUE ONE WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals R1 155.09m, Moana 12.7m, OCP 8.58m, CB 7.1m, FB 5.07m

1 minute ago, Mulder said:

But see that's just the same as the books and games. You're not giving a reason why it's different besides "Money". That's not a valid reason. Also if we talk about that, at least it's new films rather then Lucas constantly tinkering with 1-6 and I say that as someone who's ok with the special editions ((Sacrilege I know)). All Rogue One was to me, was an EU story told through the medium of film rather then as a novel or comic book or game.

I really don't know how to describe to you the concept that Star Wars is/was such a special franchise for some of us. You can argue in the defense of the Anthology films all you want, but in 7 years from now when we're on our 10th SW film in less than a decade everyone will be complaining about this. See I'm not crazy, I'm just ahead of the curve. Bookmark it. Quote me. 

Btw, the books/games tend to do far more creative and original stories than R1 for the record. If R1 had been something totally new in the Star Wars EU, I would have shut up about the cash grab aspect. But it wasn't. And you know why? Disney's not comfortable taking that risk, because these Anthology films are cash grabs. 

Just now, Grand Moff Tele said:

tbf to @MovieMan89, his last few posts explaining his opinion haven't been rants at all. I disagree with him, but he's been pretty reasonable in explaining his point of view. 

Let's say his behavior yesterday kinda forced me to put him on ignore, but if what you say is true, then I will remove him from ignore.

...and see what happens. :ph34r: Thanks!

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

I really don't know how to describe to you the concept that Star Wars is/was such a special franchise for some of us. You can argue in the defense of the Anthology films all you want, but in 7 years from now when we're on our 10th SW film in less than a decade everyone will be complaining about this. See I'm not crazy, I'm just ahead of the curve. Bookmark it. Quote me. 

Btw, the books/games tend to do far more creative and original stories than R1 for the record. If R1 had been something totally new in the Star Wars EU, I would have shut up about the cash grab aspect. But it wasn't. And you know why? Disney's not comfortable taking that risk, because these Anthology films are cash grabs. 

You mean the Death Star plot that was done a grand total of 9 times in the old EU?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Operation_Skyhook

Or how about the giant green space rabbit

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jaxxon

Also technically every movie is a cash grab. They're released with the intent to make money. Also you can't say people will definitely start to dislike them, and seeing how we've had EU stuff since the late 70s I don't think this is anything new. It's just being told over a different and unique medium now rather then solely in the books, comics, and games.

• Like 4

Just now, Mulder said:

You mean the Death Star plot that was done a grand total of 9 times in the old EU?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Operation_Skyhook

Or how about the giant green space rabbit

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jaxxon

Also technically every movie is a cash grab. They're released with the intent to make money. Also you can't say people will definitely start to dislike them, and seeing how we've had EU stuff since the late 70s I don't think this is anything new. It's just being told over a different and unique medium now rather then solely in the books, comics, and games.

The films were special to a lot of us, not the books/games. By over-saturating us with SW films, they eventually will become the very thing the books have been for years: niche appealing and only meant to serve a very small audience. It doesn't matter how good the films are, after 10 in less than 10 years, a gigantic chunk of the SW audience is going to lose interest. And I for one think it's sad that it's only a matter of years now before the royal monarch of all film franchises will abdicate its throne.

Does Steve realize his predictions are the biggest joke here even above ItonJimbo? I mean the dude thought Rogue One would open to $80M for the weekend and it nearly did that in a day. He thought the movie would make $200M total lol. These aren't predictions, they're just willful idiocy. 

• Like 2

The films were special to a lot of us, not the books/games. By over-saturating us with SW films, they eventually will become the very thing the books have been for years: niche appealing and only meant to serve a very small audience. It doesn't matter how good the films are, after 10 in less than 10 years, a gigantic chunk of the SW audience is going to lose interest. And I for one think it's sad that it's only a matter of years now before the royal monarch of all film franchises will abdicate its throne.

If the books are only meant to serve a very small audience how did they end up as Number One on the NY Times best seller's list multiple times in a row. If they're only meant to be for a small audience then how come Thrawn trended on twitter when he was recanonized? Also if the films were special then wouldn't all the rereleases remove that anyways? Also either way anthologies work better then continuing the saga past episode 9 which is where ((Imo)) it should end. Also seeing all the money made by Rogue One, I don't think the general audience is losing interest in Star Wars, if anything I think they craved it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

I think it's debatable whether this will happen in the near future or not, but regardless, I don't think this as a reason to like or dislike the new movies. They will be what they will be on their own terms. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

Some of my favorite little references are to early early EU stuff from the early 80s. Say what you will about whether you liked the result, but this was clearly made by people with a deep, abiding love for SW and it's universe. 

Wish I could give this a like Tele, so I'll just quote it. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mulder said:

If the books are only meant to serve a very small audience how did they end up as Number One on the NY Times best seller's list multiple times in a row. If they're only meant to be for a small audience then how come Thrawn trended on twitter when he was recanonized? Also if the films were special then wouldn't all the rereleases remove that anyways? Also either way anthologies work better then continuing the saga past episode 9 which is where ((Imo)) it should end. Also seeing all the money made by Rogue One, I don't think the general audience is losing interest in Star Wars, if anything I think they craved it.

Oh also just to reiterate the reason Lucas did the Prequel Trilogy was because of the success of Shadows of The Empire and the Thrawn trilogy sales wise.

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Quite frankly, @Grand Moff Tele I'm shocked that you're not on my side about Disney's SW model. You're the one more than any poster who is always complaining about the next spin-off/prequel/sequel/extended universe. But I guess that only applies when it's franchises you don't like? 

Why do you need to do personal attacks on people's integrity? We're having a civil debate why start flinging shit at people come on.

Quite frankly, @Grand Moff Tele I'm shocked that you're not on my side about Disney's SW model. You're the one more than any poster who is always complaining about the next spin-off/prequel/sequel/extended universe. But I guess that only applies when it's franchises you don't like? 

I feel like my opinion has evolved over the last few years. I might not like an eventual result, but I'm not really caught up in the fact studios are doing nothing but them. SW (and Indy) are probably the two formative franchises of my childhood and so I'm probably more generously inclined towards them. If others feel that way towards Marvel or DC or whatever, so be it. 

Less energy wasted on something that really doesn't impact me badly unless I choose to. After all, I can always just not see (fill in whatever franchise you choose).  

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Yeah, no way Disney's letting that happen. You can't see how even you might be on my side of this argument ten years from now? 

As for the books/games, please don't pretend they reach anywhere near the pop culture phenomenon levels or audience of the films. We all know that's not true. As for how something in geek culture could be trending on the internet? It's the internet! 

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Dr No, From Russia with Love, Goldfinger, Thunderball, On Her Majesty's Secret Service. 

The originals and arguably definitive Bond films. They've made countless films since then of varying quality over 50 years. Doesn't make those original movies any less special. 

More Star Wars (and I'm as big a fan as you) is nothing but good news to me. As long as the films are good. I'll never love these new ones as much as the original trilogy but they won't cause the OT to be less special to any fan. 

This is a great time to be a Star Wars nerd. The best it's been for over 30 years. Enjoy it. 

• Like 5

Yeah, no way Disney's letting that happen. You can't see how even you might be on my side of this argument ten years from now? 

As for the books/games, please don't pretend they reach anywhere near the pop culture phenomenon levels or audience of the films. We all know that's not true. As for how something in geek culture could be trending on the internet? It's the internet! 

Fine then if you don't want to use the internet, Knights of The Old Republic was one of the highest selling games of the 2000s and the Thrawn Trilogy+Darth Bane trilogy both ended up as #1 on the NY Times best seller's list. Also Kathleen Kennedy herself said they're thinking of ending the saga films at Episode 9. The only thing I don't want to see continue for too long are the saga films. The anthologies could go on for a long time imo like the books and games ((And comics)) have.

• Like 2