Dementeleus

ROGUE ONE WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals R1 155.09m, Moana 12.7m, OCP 8.58m, CB 7.1m, FB 5.07m

16 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

I'll take any day over not having any new Star Wars movies coming up.

I do not understand that sentence :

I am sure I am wrong, but reading the words I understand you take any / every day... (of life?) over new SW films = you do not want new SW films.

After reading a lot of posts here I think you do want new SW films.

Where is my gramar / language understanding wrong? Or did I misunderstand your general POV on new SW films?

• Like 1

Just now, Grand Moff Tele said:

In that case, once again you're choosing to make a great many negative assumptions about the people involved simply because you didn't like the movie. 

I called R1 a cash grab long before I saw the movie. All the Anthology films greenlit so far are, it doesn't matter to me if Christopher Nolan is directing them. 

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

I called R1 a cash grab long before I saw the movie. All the Anthology films greenlit so far are, it doesn't matter to me if Christopher Nolan is directing them. 

Then I guess John Knoll really wanted that....money? I guess? Would have to look but iirc the Han Solo movie was also a pre-Disney idea.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

A KOTOR film would be insanely awesome, I said that years ago already. However, Disney will never do that because it's too risky for them. These are cash grabs first and foremost. Sorry if some don't like to hear that, but it's the truth. And if Disney greenlights something far more risky than "The Death Star Plans" f/Darth Vader or The Many Adventures of Hannie the Solo, then I may start believing they're no longer treating them exclusively as their golden goose. 

Rome wasn't built in a day. This and other ideas I imagine are still on the table 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

I do not understand that sentence :

I am sure I am wrong, but reading the words I understand you take any / every day... (of life?) over new SW films = you do not want new SW films.

After reading a lot of posts here I think you do want new SW films.

Where is my gramar / language understanding wrong? Or did I misunderstand your general POV on new SW films?

Oops. forgot a word, actually :P 

Correct sentence would be:

"I'll take that any day over not having any new Star Wars movies coming up."

Edited by Daxtreme
wow another mistake
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, 4815162342 said:

Saturation itself is not a problem.

Saturation with cookie-cutter mediocre outings is the problem.

Which is an inevitable result in this kind of saturation of a film franchise. Or are you telling me MCU hasn't suffered any mediocre cookie cutter outings whatsoever? 

Which is an inevitable result in this kind of saturation of a film franchise. Or are you telling me MCU hasn't suffered any mediocre cookie cutter outings whatsoever? 

The MCU method and SW method is very different imo.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, elcaballero said:

The way I look at it, the more Star Wars movies we get, the more chances we get to watch the next great Star Wars movie in theaters. I understand the concern of oversaturation and affecting canon, but I feel like each movie can be taken on its own terms and enjoyed that way. If you don't like it, just ignore it. That's what I did with large swaths of the EU for years.

Not to mention that the entire expanded Star Wars universe is ripe for spin-offs. Just cause Disney is milking the franchise, doesn't mean the actual movies themselves will all be bad.

• Like 1

Which is an inevitable result in this kind of saturation of a film franchise.  

Considering the MCU is the first time something like this has been done, it's far too soon with far too small a sample size to say that with any degree of confidence.

Or are you telling me MCU hasn't suffered any mediocre cookie cutter outings whatsoever?

1) Now you're kinda putting some words in my mouth, and 2) What goes on with an entirely different creative team is irrelevant.

• Like 2

Just now, Porthos said:

Something can be a seen as a cash grab by the suits AND as a labor of love and passion by the folks making it.

Weird but true.

This I will agree with. Still doesn't change my opinion on the film existing as a cash grab because the people working on it aren't the ones that got to decide it would exist. 

This I will agree with. Still doesn't change my opinion on the film existing as a cash grab because the people working on it aren't the ones that got to decide it would exist. 

Now this is some insane troll logic.

I think it's possible MovieMan may be a cash grab. You know, the kind of employee who shows up with no particular passion for the work or desire to make a difference, just purely wants a paycheck and knows that by showing up it'll happen :P MovieMan be honest here buddy are you just mad at Rogue One because you see yourself in it? Perhaps you want to be the only cash grab in town and Rogue One is threatening that? 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

All films are cash grabs in a sense, we've established that. However, you know darn well what I mean by calling a film a "cash grab." It's a film that exists for literally no other purpose but to make the studio a quick buck. Not because they thought it was a good story, had a lot of potential, had great talent wanting to work on it, etc. Because they knew there was 0% chance of losing money if they made it. A sequel trilogy had been in gestation for decades. There was far more behind deciding to make it than just the money. Otherwise it would have been made a long time ago. 

What do you know about Rogue One's development process? How do you know  that no one cared about making a good movie, about being faithful to what make Star Wars, Star Wars?

We already know you found it disgusting, but it seems clear to me that by watching both Ep 3 and Ep 4 on a loop while filming and in post-production, they at least wanted to do right by the continuity. All the small details found in the movie, callbacks, and nostalgia trips are carefully thought of and mostly add to the story in a meaningful way. Much care has been put into this film, more than you give it credit it for I believe. I don't think can deny that Gareth Edwards is a Star Wars fan first and foremost, he said George Lucas' review of the movie mattered the most to him (yes, even more than yours, or mine!), and that he could die happy now. 

If that's not the words of a fan...

• Like 3

1 minute ago, 4815162342 said:

Considering the MCU is the first time something like this has been done, it's far too soon with far too small a sample size to say that with any degree of confidence.

1) Now you're kinda putting some words in my mouth, and 2) What goes on with an entirely different creative team is irrelevant.

Good luck finding a film franchise that went past three movies that a majority of people will think were all great. There is a big enough sample size to be confident that this will inevitably lead to what most consider as lackluster films. Honestly, you guys are being way too stubborn in your fanboy-ism right now. I understand SW had been dead for a decade and this is only the second year of its return, but just think about the future for one second. 

Am I the only one not bothered by saturation. If it's a series I love it's more time with the characters and universe and if it's one I don't care for then the fans of that series can still enjoy it. As long as something new and different is brought to the table and it's not generic or repetitive then I don't see an issue. 

• Like 10