Dementeleus

ROGUE ONE WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals R1 155.09m, Moana 12.7m, OCP 8.58m, CB 7.1m, FB 5.07m

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

Probably a good thing they dropped his ideas considering the awful prequel trilogy. 

Yes and no. While Lucas has major problems as an actual filmmaker, he's a fantastic idea man. I would have been interested in what some of his ideas for E7 could have been like in the hands of more capable filmmakers. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Wow, you're telling me that making money is secondary to a division of a publicly traded corporation? I'm sure shareholders would love to hear that.

Agree to the conclusion.

I am guessing it was the over-the-top answer to an over-the-top post, but who knows.

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Of course Lucas didn't like TFA, his ideas for it were totally different and were snubbed. Oh wait, but I forgot...we're going with Lucas never planned for an E7. :ph34r:

What??? "We" are most certainly not.

(And the idea that Lucas didn't like TFA is so much unsubstantiated rumormongering)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, MrPink said:

They would have bought the Star Wars brand and placed it in a vault in a heartbeat. Good Guy WB

Or, they'd give Batman a lightsaber via him nicking one from Green Lantern after Hal returns from a "strange galaxy far away from here" with a souvenir.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Attack of the Clones on TNT, currently in the middle of the 30 minute animated conclusion. The big exciting flip fight will be on soon

Good for laughs I suppose. Watched All The President's Men through HBO earlier today. Now that is a hell of a movie. Can definitely see influence on Spotlight. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jandrew said:

Will my parents, who could care less about Star Wars, enjoy RO, or will they fall asleep? Honest, non-bias, fan love opinions please? I'll go by myself if I have to.

They thought SW7 was cool last year, even if it didn't make that much sense. But RO isn't exactly the same thing.

The movie is made for Star Wars fanboys first and foremost.

If they aren't big fans of A New Hope they might be pretty bored. It's a pretty slow burn for non-fans who aren't enthralled by the mythos.

I'd hold off watching SW with them until Star Wars 8 (since they dug SW7).

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Porthos said:

They let TFA be delayed seven months when J.J. and co said it couldn't possibly be ready for May 2017.  

2015?

7 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Probably a good thing they dropped his ideas considering the awful prequel trilogy. 

I like Lucas (the PTs depending on the scenes in which film: to varying degrees, a very few are good, the most not so much IMHO, and a few are really not what I like), but I blame him still for the alien crystal Skull thing in the last Indiana Jones.

• Like 1

For me, it comes down to this.

The only evidence of Disney viewing SW as a cash grab is the annual SW films coming out and possibly the Saga movies coming out every two years angle (instead of every three).

Problem is, while Disney might view SW as a cash grab franchise, they don't treat it as one.  They allow delays to movies.  They allow movies with 'darker' content than some thought.  They allow massively expensive reshoots that nearly doubled or trippled the vfx budget.

I guess I have to say:  Where's the eviedence that they treat the films like cash grabs?  I suppose moving R1 to Xmas time.  But I think all things considered Gareth Edwards is doing backlips in joy that he had seven more months to work on R1.

===

I will agree that there is potential for Disney to treat SW as a cash grab franchise.  But potential is all it is at the moment.  I ain't gonna worry about it happening until I see actual signs that it is.

• Like 5