kayumanggi

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI | 712.4 M overseas ● 1332.5 M worldwide

2 minutes ago, Aristis said:

What's wrong? 20% drop is great (if it's less frontloaded than SW7 - which I think will happen for the OW) Don't make drama after that number... :wintf:

It's a sequel. It won't be less frontloaded. The other way around.

But that aside, I just checked presales here for the first time. Not even Thursday night IMAX shows are sold out. That is disappointing considering TFA had the third best OW ever in admissions. RO had an ugly drop but I expected this to look better. Anyway, that makes me think one of two things is happening: either TFA disappointed a lot of people and WOM wasn't as great as it first seemed, or RO diluted the brand. People outside of US have a harder time differentiating between the main series and the spin-offs. Disney's approach is good short term, but I am not sure a movie a year is the best idea. But then again, most movies will likely make 1B WW, so that is that.    

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, James said:

But that aside, I just checked presales here for the first time. Not even Thursday night IMAX shows are sold out. That is disappointing considering TFA had the third best OW ever in admissions. RO had an ugly drop but I expected this to look better. Anyway, that makes me think one of two things is happening: either TFA disappointed a lot of people and WOM wasn't as great as it first seemed, or RO diluted the brand. People outside of US have a harder time differentiating between the main series and the spin-offs. Disney's approach is good short term, but I am not sure a movie a year is the best idea. But then again, most movies will likely make 1B WW, so that is that.    

YES, YES, YES, YES.

This is what I've been telling people for 2 years, the film was average to the general audience.

Internet polls are ALWAYS biased towards star wars, the true opinion of the film can't be found on imdb or rotten tomatoes.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

YES, YES, YES, YES.

This is what I've been telling people for 2 years, the film was average to the general audience.

Thats why it crushed the even more average-to-mediocre Avatar in three weeks in the US ;)

Srsly though, i cant take anyone seriously who thinks TFA had mediocre or even bad WOM.

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

Thats why it crushed the even more average-to-mediocre Avatar in three weeks in the US ;)

Srsly though, i cant take anyone seriously who thinks TFA had mediocre or even bad WOM.

Go ask a mom who went to see it with her kids what she thought of it. This is where you find true WOM.

Your life has been a star wars echo chamber and everyone you know has been a part of it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

You talked about Avatar, and badly. You hit him where it hurts :hahaha:

• Haha 1

The Force Awakens had the biggest opening ever in 2015 in Russia. The 3rd best start by now,

But only 7.1 grade on the biggest russian movie site Kinopoisk. That's less than Matrix Revolutions for example. 

Edited by juni78ukr
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, James said:

SW 7 was the first SW movie in 10 years and was a sequel too... The sixth actually...

7 hours ago, James said:

The fall from TFA to RO was pretty much in the same line of 50-60% in all markets. If that is any indication, looking at the early SK numbers, we could see a 40-45% drop from TFA for TLJ. That would mean a final OS total between 600-680m. Let's say some territories will fare better so maybe 750m max. Only a guess, but I wouldn't be surprised if it came in under 700m OS.

I don't think South Korea is in any way a suitable market to judge the general drop. Rogue One almost dropped 70% from TFA there, it was easily the biggest drop in all of the major international markets, and I don't know if any of the smaller ones matched it either.

If anything, this would hint at the average drop being much lower than 40% due to SK being at the very end of the spectrum last time around. But I wouldn't really take that assumption either, because these are two different movies, and spin-offs and regular episodes may show a different behaviour in different nations as well.

Edited by George Parr

8 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

not here to talk about Avatar! :jedi: besides Avatar and Titanic are examples of what good WOM looks like.

Don't worry, I liked both Avatar and SW7 ;)

4 minutes ago, juni78ukr said:

The Force Awakens had the biggest opening ever in 2015 in Russia. The 3rd best start by now,

But only 7.1 grade on the biggest russian movie site Kinopoisk. That's less than Matrix Revolutions for example. 

Remember : when the first trilogy came out Russia was the Soviet Union so Russians had basically no emotional links to the franchise or an understanding of it, no nostalgia factor. It's hard to love TFA if you have no understanding of this universe and previous experiences with it.

Not a good WOM in countries like Russia and China is not surprising in the end.

SW doesn't need it in the end, with great numbers in north America, Europe and Japan it will always be very profitable. The onlyp lace where it can grow outside these markets is Latin America that seems more open to SW than China or Russia.

42 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

that 20% drop actually doesn't bode too well for domestic opening number if you think about it.

Why? A 20% drop is in line with the trade predictions of $200 million opening weekend. That's still a solid number. Are you expecting TLJ to do $230 million+ OW?

4 minutes ago, UserHN said:

I'm just curious. What is your opinion of Avatar 2 becoming a Disney movie?

Avatar,Star Wars,Marvel, X-Men/Deadpool/Fantastic 4,their own animated franchises, Pixar, Pirates of the Caribbean, Indiana Jones..Disney :shades:

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, UserHN said:

Why? A 20% drop is in line with the trade predictions of $200 million opening weekend. That's still a solid number. Are you expecting TLJ to do $230 million+ OW?

Nope I'm actually expecting 190, I am just here for the show. box office watching is incredibly fun when you're not stanning for something ;)

2 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

Nope I'm actually expecting 190, I am just here for the show. box office watching is incredibly fun when you're not stanning for something ;)

I just hope what happened to JL won't happen in TLJ. I think 70% of the comments in the JL thread is about how disappointing its numbers are.