kayumanggi

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI | 712.4 M overseas ● 1332.5 M worldwide

T

Double                         IMAX                        3D                         2D

2017-12-14    10:00:00                    1                            34                        98                          203

2017-12-14    11:00:00                    1                            34                        103                        203
2017-12-14    12:00:00                    1                            34                        103                        203
2017-12-14    13:00:00                    1                            34                        103                        203
2017-12-14    14:00:00                    1                            34                        103                        203
2017-12-14    15:00:00                    1                            34                        103                        203
2017-12-14    16:00:00                    1                            34                        103                        203
2017-12-14    17:00:00                    1                            34                        103                        207
2017-12-14    18:00:00                    1                            34                        103                        207
2017-12-14    19:00:00                    1                            34                        103                        213
2017-12-14    20:00:00                    1                            34                        103                        223
2017-12-14    21:00:00                    1                            34                        106                        223
2017-12-14    22:00:00                    1                            34                        109                        240
2017-12-14    23:00:00                    1                            34                        111                        253
2017-12-15    00:00:00                    1                            34                        111                        253
2017-12-15    01:00:00                    1                            34                        114                        313
2017-12-15    02:00:00                    1                            34                        114                        313
2017-12-15    03:00:00                    1                            34                        127                        337

On 12/13/2017 at 2:01 PM, Fullbuster said:

lol, is there even one OS market where it could grow over TFA? ^^

Did a bit of research, and Iceland (lol) seems like the only territory where TLJ could increase over TFA. Unfortunately Iceland isn't exactly a big market - TFA only make $900k there. Rogue One made $720k during its run (nearly 80% of TFA), which is why it stood out to me as a possibility for an increase.

4 minutes ago, hw64 said:

Did a bit of research, and Iceland (lol) seems like the only territory where TLJ could increase over TFA. Unfortunately Iceland isn't exactly a big market - TFA only make $900k there. Rogue One made $720k during its run (nearly 80% of TFA), which is why it stood out to me as a possibility for an increase.

maybe Romania? but again...my country is not a big market. 

tfa did $3.2m, so I won't be surprised if tlj will break this number. 
if I'm not wrong, Romania is one of the few country were FF8 increased over FF7 ($3.2m vs $2.7m) 

24 minutes ago, thunder storm said:

maybe Romania? but again...my country is not a big market. 

tfa did $3.2m, so I won't be surprised if tlj will break this number. 
if I'm not wrong, Romania is one of the few country were FF8 increased over FF7 ($3.2m vs $2.7m) 

Lol no. Not even today's midnight shows where sold out. I think it will only come in a bit higher than RO.

5 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Force Awakens was such an event that I think even people who didn't watch the other Star Wars movies went to watch that one 

Yep and then decided it was not for them. That's how maxing out works. A movie attracts everyone including atypical audience that doesn't return for the sequel. They simply react to the event (everyone's talking about it so I don't want to be out of loop) but not to the movie itself. With event gone, so is their interest. TLJ is not an event. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Yep and then decided it was not for them. That's how maxing out works. A movie attracts everyone including atypical audience that doesn't return for the sequel. They simply react to the event (everyone's talking about it so I don't want to be out of loop) but not to the movie itself. With event gone, so is their interest. TLJ is not an event. 

This is definitey the case in many Asian countries I would say. MAYbe Latin America 

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 3

The case with TFA is that the buzz was soo yuge that everyone, even those that haven't watched all of the SW movies, wanted to participate in that "event".

Especially, a lot of developing markets were completely unfamiliar with SW in general (since there was basically no cinema in some of those countries when the OT was released) and yet they wanted to follow the same trend that the rest of the world was following.

After seeing the movie though, many were desapointed which makes sense since there was no nostalgia factor to be found.

That's the reason I have said from the beggining that I expect a big drop overseas and well even Rogue One was proof of what I am saying. I remember quite clearly @James being mocked when he predicted an OS total lower to another film that released closely and yet it ended more than true. It's performance overseas was relatively weak. A few traditional markets saved the day in the end.

• Like 3

It doesn't help the fact that we'll be getting a Star Wars movie every year...

2 years ago we got Force Awakens. Last year we got Rogue One. This year we're getting The Last Jedi. Next year we'll get Solo, then we'll get Episode IX.

They're sending the audience to the future with the sequels and then to the past, with the prequels. I think this isn't helping at all.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

It doesn't help the fact that we'll be getting a Star Wars movie every year...

2 years ago we got Force Awakens. Last year we got Rogue One. This year we're getting The Last Jedi. Next year we'll get Solo, then we'll get Episode IX.

They're sending the audience to the future with the sequels and then to the past, with the prequels. I think this isn't helping at all.

This! Especially in countries where people didn't grew up with SW.

I am honestly so curious about how TLJ will perform. I asked on my Instagram who is seeing SW this weekend and quite a few people have seen it already, most of them from the US. And some of them said it was a good movie, but not much is happening and it takes forever to go somewhere. It seems to be a general criticism.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, James said:

This! Especially in countries where people didn't grew up with SW.

I am honestly so curious about how TLJ will perform. I asked on my Instagram who is seeing SW this weekend and quite a few people have seen it already, most of them from the US. And some of them said it was a good movie, but not much is happening and it takes forever to go somewhere. It seems to be a general criticism.

It does feel like a filler despite two-three major things happening. Characters basically don't grow from where they were in TLJ. I can imagine that audiences from countries where SW wasn't big are having trouble understanding what the big deal is. Not that SW isn't successful in its own right but it's much bigger thing in US (where it's like an institution) while it's just one of many big franchises OS. The real OS event are last 2 F&F movies.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

The case with TFA is that the buzz was soo yuge that everyone, even those that haven't watched all of the SW movies, wanted to participate in that "event".

Especially, a lot of developing markets were completely unfamiliar with SW in general (since there was basically no cinema in some of those countries when the OT was released) and yet they wanted to follow the same trend that the rest of the world was following.

After seeing the movie though, many were desapointed which makes sense since there was no nostalgia factor to be found.

That's the reason I have said from the beggining that I expect a big drop overseas and well even Rogue One was proof of what I am saying. I remember quite clearly @James being mocked when he predicted an OS total lower to another film that released closely and yet it ended more than true. It's performance overseas was relatively weak. A few traditional markets saved the day in the end.

Rogue One wasn't proof for anything. That movie is completely disconnected from all other episodes, as can be seen by the fact that it opened and finished far lower than any other recent SW movie, as well as TLJ having much higher opening days everywhere.

A drop was always coming, especially with TFA reaching audiences that Star Wars hadn't reached in the recent past. None of that has anything to do with Rogue One though. That movie didn't say anything about how much of a drop would be coming for other episodes, nor did it cause people to somehow stay away from further movies.

20 minutes ago, George Parr said:

That movie didn't say anything about how much of a drop would be coming for other episodes.

I disagree. There's plenty to garner from comparing Rogue One's gross to TFA's gross in each market. In the typical strong markets for Star Wars, it dipped only 45-50% from TFA, which in weaker markets where TFA didn't get the best reception, it dropped around 55-65%. That tells you a lot about what's going to happen with Episode 8 and beyond. It doesn't necessarily tell you the size of each movie, but it does give you a rough indication of how the markets within each Star Wars movie are going to behave compared to one another.

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

Force Awakens was such an event that I think even people who didn't watch the other Star Wars movies went to watch that one 

Then obviously that was enough Star Wars for them, they left wondering what the hype was about.