kayumanggi

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI | 712.4 M overseas ● 1332.5 M worldwide

13 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Well, for example, in my cinema (Germany), the 22nd was a good day for TLJ. The 23rd was mediocre and the 24th is a complete shut-down for all movies playing. You are underestimating the Christmas Eve effect and more importantly, the incredible mid-week business TLJ will do next week. For the frame of the 25th - 29th, almost all Evening shows of TLJ are near to a sell-out here. It will barely drop next weekend too, it even has a chance to increase.

The calendar screws the numbers.

The 25th will be dead too since in a lot of countries cinemas are closed on Xmas day.

About next weekend, it will do good numbers but no way I can see it increasing!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MattW said:

TFA

281 opening

269 week 2

221 week 3

235 rest of OS-Ch

Rogue One

135 opening

102 week 2

113 week 3

104 rest from OS-Ch

TLJ

230 opening

150 week 2

~150 week 3

130-160 rest OS-Ch

70-100 China

730-790 total overseas

70m is the optimistic prediction for China.

I heard people saying it may not reach 50m.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Bullshit. Sorry, but that is just dumb. TLJ will drop next to nothing next weekend, with a good chance to increase. The mid-week business for the next tow holiday weeks will make up for the drop this weekend, which was totally expected because of the calendar. You are really expecting The Last Jedi to marginally gross more than Rogue One OS? GTFO.

That was just a prediction. No need to get angry because of that. Nothing is 100% sure to happen. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Apollo2xx said:

Yeah, 560m OS is not happening AT ALL.

Ok then. Perhaps 650 million domestic and 630 million overseas. 1.280 billion worldwide.  At best, it can make 1.3 billion. 

I just hope you guys aren't counting with China's numbers. So, there's that. 1.3 billion, give or take. 

3 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

That was just a prediction. No need to get angry because of that. Nothing is 100% sure to happen. 

To be fair to him you probably made  a prediction that is 1000% impossible on a box office site. You were bound to get attention.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

To be fair to him you probably made  a prediction that is 1000% impossible on a box office site. You were bound to get attention.

I have no problem with that, and I'll be more than happy to eat crow if I'm wrong. 

By the way, I updated my full worldwide number to 1.3 billion. I think that's reasonable. I predict the movie won't make 700 million domestic, and perhaps it could perform like that overseas. So, nothing impossible for now. 

So, 1.3 billion. 

Edited by Blaze Heatnix
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Well, for example, in my cinema (Germany), the 22nd was a good day for TLJ. The 23rd was mediocre and the 24th is a complete shut-down for all movies playing. You are underestimating the Christmas Eve effect and more importantly, the incredible mid-week business TLJ will do next week. For the frame of the 25th - 29th, almost all Evening shows of TLJ are near to a sell-out here. It will barely drop next weekend too, it even has a chance to increase.

The calendar screws the numbers.

Yeah, next week is gonna be pretty huge. When the first Hobbit came out, many wrote off $1b WW. The tune changed after the last week of the year came and went.

57 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

70m is the optimistic prediction for China.

I heard people saying it may not reach 50m.

Ah, I haven't been paying much attention to the China threads lately so that's good to know, mitigate my expectations a bit.

10 minutes ago, Olive Skywalker said:

If it doesn't recover next week, BATB might win #1 WW.

Won't happen, but it would be funny if it did. Star Wars is not even guaranteed to win 2018 or even 2019. I can't think of any other ways Disney can improve its numbers in China 

48 minutes ago, Hades said:

Won't happen, but it would be funny if it did. Star Wars is not even guaranteed to win 2018 or even 2019. I can't think of any other ways Disney can improve its numbers in China 

Jesus, while Star Wars no doubt has its problems it would be revolting to see the awful BATB remake at the top

HOLDOVERS/EXPANSIONS
STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI

Star Wars: The Last Jedi
Disney

The Resistance continued to fight against the Dark Side in 54 material markets this weekend, lighting up $75.1M for the three-day in offshore waters. The international total is $380.3M through Sunday with $745.4M global on the latest sci-fi saga installment.

The Christmas holiday will have had some impact here — particularly with the typically weaker Christmas Eve falling on a Sunday. Tomorrow, the UK, which leads Jedi’s overseas hubs, will feel a tremor in the Force as most cinemas there are closed. But school holidays are now in full swing as compared to last weekend.

Overall, the porgs are at an estimated 30% below Star Wars: The Force Awakens at the same point of offshore play, and about 40% above Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. Those films had different holiday configurations surrounding them in the sophomore session so, as noted above, drop-off comps don’t quite square. Midweek overeas play was strong and we should see the $1B global mark in the next week or so. There’s also China to consider on January 5 which will be one to watch, particularly given the Star Wars franchise has been angling to build its base there.

Here are some stats on this weekend’s lightsaber duels:

Jedi is already the top grossing film of 2017 in both Denmark ($6.4M) and Sweden ($8.5M), as well as the 2nd highest grossing film of 2017 in Australia($26.9M) and 3rd highest grossing film of 2017 in the UK ($67.4M).

— In Europe overall, Jedi is the 4th highest grossing film of 2017 after just two weekends, and will pass The Fate Of The Furious this week to take the No. 3 spot, giving The Walt Disney Studios 3 of the top 5 films of 2017.

— In Australia, TWDS now accounts for the Top 4 releases of 2017 — Beauty And The Beast, Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Thor: Ragnarok and Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol 2 — just wait til the Mouse swallows the Fox.

— No. 1s this weekend were maintained in: Austria, Belgium, Croatia, Denmark, Finland, France, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the UK, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Japan, Philippines, Australia and New Zealand.

— The best hold was in Japan where it fell 37%.

— Overall, the UK leads the Top 5 at $67.4M, followed by Germany ($40M), France ($29.3M), Japan ($28.5M) and Australia ($26.9M). The softest spot among majors is Korea ($7.1M).

— In IMAX play, Jedi added $19.7M global for a 13-day total of $75M. Internationally, it added $8.4M for a $30.3M cume.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1