kayumanggi

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI | 712.4 M overseas ● 1332.5 M worldwide

Deadline:

"Disney/Lucasfilm’s Star Wars: The Last Jedi has made the jump across the coveted $1B mark worldwide, grossing $1.04B through Sunday. The Rian Johnson-helmed installment is the 4th movie to pass the milestone in 2017, and the second for Disney after Beauty And The Beast. The international box office cume is now $523.3M after a $68M 3rd weekend in 54 material markets.

The Resistance held very well overseas this session, dipping just 12% from last weekend which included Christmas Eve. Several markets saw increases including France (+37%) and Germany (+17%). Overall, the EMEA region was 2% ahead of last weekend.

Jedi is the No. 1 movie of the year in Croatia, Denmark, France, Germany, Hungary, Iceland, Norway and Sweden and held the top spot for the 3rd frame in a row in such key markets as France, Germany, Spain and the UK. It also held No. 1 in Japan.

The top market remains the UK which is approaching a milestone, coming out of the weekend at $91.5M. It’s followed by Germany ($62M), France ($45.6M), Japan, ($40.4M) and Australia ($35.1M)."

What do you think will this movie finish with?

Something like $650M (so $126.7M) and $50M from China for $700M international.

(Last week means: Monday (25th) through Sunday (31st))

Total: $126.7 Needed for $650M (Last week: $142.1M)

Uk: $30M (=> Total: $111.5M) (Last week: $24.1)

Germany: $25M (=> Total: $87M) (Last week: $22M)

France: $15M (=> Total: $60.6M) (Last week: $16.3M)

Japan: $20M (=> Total: $60.4M) (Last Week $11,9M)

Australia; $10M (=> Total: $45.1M) (Last Week $8.2M)

So the others would need $26.7M that should be doable because for those the last week was $59.6M.

Edited by Taruseth
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Elessar said:

What will it be at after 3rd weekend OS? $520m? It should be lower that TFA after its 2nd weekend me thinks ($550m)...

I was almost spot on! :)

People really do think it'll only do $50m in China? Seems kinda ridiculously low, considering TFA did $125m...

8 minutes ago, Elessar said:

I was almost spot on! :)

People really do think it'll only do $50m in China? Seems kinda ridiculously low, considering TFA did $125m...

That's actually high. Last time I checked projection was lower. I think they are going by the drop from RO cause SW movies are the same thing to the Chinese.

9 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

That's actually high. Last time I checked projection was lower. I think they are going by the drop from RO cause SW movies are the same thing to the Chinese.

Eh, even in China the main series should mean something.

I think some are going a little overboard with the gloom based on presales, which don't look that bad actually if i read them correctly.

Edited by Elessar

20 hours ago, Taruseth said:

So the others would need $26.7M that should be doable because for those the last week was $59.6M.

Japan is going to be much higher. It's a slow-burning market and the main holidays are just arriving right now. It should definately do 80m+ there if we go by what Corpse has suggested in his most recent updates.

Germany getting another 25m sounds doable to me. It's at roughly 4.5m admissions now, which means it should have between 1.5 and 2m left to go. Not sure if the average price is still this high, but early on it was at about €11.90, with an exchange rate around $1.20 per Euro. This puts it somewhere between 21m and 28m Dollar for the rest of the way. It should have a good chance at passing €70m and thus enter the top 10 alltime, finishing somewhere between 6th and 9th depending on how things go.

650m without China sounds very likely to me at this point. Even 675m doesn't sound that hard if I look at the numbers above. Yes, holidays are ending in most places, so the numbers are going to drop bigtime, but it's not like there is only one week left to reach the numbers mentioned above. Some of those numbers may be the high-end of what can be expected, but with Japan likely doing more, it should work out just fine. After all, the rest of the countries aren't going to finish with just 10m or so the rest of the way, when the last week got almost 60m. Even with huge drops, that would still lead to another 30-40m the rest of the way (e.g. something like 20+10+5+2+1+...)

2 minutes ago, George Parr said:

Japan is going to be much higher. It's a slow-burning market and the main holidays are just arriving right now. It should definately do 80m+ there if we go by what Corpse has suggested in his most recent updates.

Germany getting another 25m sounds doable to me. It's at roughly 4.5m admissions now, which means it should have between 1.5 and 2m left to go. Not sure if the average price is still this high, but early on it was at about €11.90, with an exchange rate around $1.20 per Euro. This puts it somewhere between 21m and 28m Dollar for the rest of the way. It should have a good chance at passing €70m and thus enter the top 10 alltime, finishing somewhere between 6th and 9th depending on how things go.

650m without China sounds very likely to me at this point. Even 675m doesn't sound that hard if I look at the numbers above. Yes, holidays are ending in most places, so the numbers are going to drop bigtime, but it's not like there is only one week left to reach the numbers mentioned above. Some of those numbers may be the high-end of what can be expected, but with Japan likely doing more, it should work out just fine. After all, the rest of the countries aren't going to finish with just 10m or so the rest of the way, when the last week got almost 60m. Even with huge drops, that would still lead to another 30-40m the rest of the way (e.g. something like 20+10+5+2+1+...)

Okay I somehow thought the main holiday was in the last week and ends today with NYD and $80+M would be impressive and a drop of less than 20%

1.5M admissions would be bad, considering the fact this past weekend had 835k and TFA having 2.5M admissions after the third weekend. For Germany to drop less than 20% TLJ would need to gross $89.1+M, that seems to be a bit to far away, but if the next sets of weekdays are good and the next weekend is good that should be doable to.

27 minutes ago, Taruseth said:

Okay I somehow thought the main holiday was in the last week and ends today with NYD and $80+M would be impressive and a drop of less than 20%

1.5M admissions would be bad, considering the fact this past weekend had 835k and TFA having 2.5M admissions after the third weekend. For Germany to drop less than 20% TLJ would need to gross $89.1+M, that seems to be a bit to far away, but if the next sets of weekdays are good and the next weekend is good that should be doable to.

Well, after last weekend Corpse wrote that TLJ is aiming for 9.5b Yen ($80-85m) with a good shot at 10b Yen. He hasn't given any new target since then, only stating that this weekend that just happened was bound to drop a lot, but that the weekdays afterwards would make up for it. Stating that Monday alone could do as much as the weekend, and that there will be raises throughout the week and the next weekend.

If I get it correctly, last week was where schools got off, but this week is new years holiday and the bank holiday, where businesses are closed.

The Hobbit had a 1.2m third weekend, posting a similar total as TLJ (4.43m), and it ended its run with a bit above 6.5m (the rest is coming from the next two releases). The Hobbit 2 came off a 1.07m weekend and added another 1.8m the rest of the way. Sure, 1.5m is the absolute low end, but I didn't exactly think that Rogue One would end up missing the 4m mark after the numbers it got during the holidays, yet somehow it did, so I just tried to set a low-end that would definately happen this time around. Besides, writing 6.25-6.5 would have looked stupid ;)

Edited by George Parr
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

So, what is the likely WW totzl for TLJ?

I think low end is $1325+M ($625+M Dom, $50+M China, $650+M) with a small chance at $1400M ($645M, $70M China, $685M). So I think it most likely will end somewhere around $1360M ($630M, $65M, $665M)

Edited by Taruseth
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Taruseth said:

I think $1325+M ($625+M Dom, $50+M China, $650+M) with a small chance at $1400M ($645M, $70M China, $685M). So I think it most likely will end somewhere around $1360M ($630M, $65M, $665M)

That'd be satisfying, the movie would still be very profitable, without taking VOD, Blu-Ray and DVD sales into account.

22 hours ago, Taruseth said:

Deadline:

"Disney/Lucasfilm’s Star Wars: The Last Jedi has made the jump across the coveted $1B mark worldwide, grossing $1.04B through Sunday. The Rian Johnson-helmed installment is the 4th movie to pass the milestone in 2017, and the second for Disney after Beauty And The Beast. The international box office cume is now $523.3M after a $68M 3rd weekend in 54 material markets.

The Resistance held very well overseas this session, dipping just 12% from last weekend which included Christmas Eve. Several markets saw increases including France (+37%) and Germany (+17%). Overall, the EMEA region was 2% ahead of last weekend.

Jedi is the No. 1 movie of the year in Croatia, Denmark, France, Germany, Hungary, Iceland, Norway and Sweden and held the top spot for the 3rd frame in a row in such key markets as France, Germany, Spain and the UK. It also held No. 1 in Japan.

The top market remains the UK which is approaching a milestone, coming out of the weekend at $91.5M. It’s followed by Germany ($62M), France ($45.6M), Japan, ($40.4M) and Australia ($35.1M)."

You can add like 6 mln $ from Poland. It should end about 16 mln $ here.

• Like 1

it could be possible that theaters open later on NYD, yes. After all, people were busy staying up late to celebrate the new year. The same parties may mean that not everyone is fit enough to do much on the next day as well ;)

Still a bit surprising to see such an increase.

The worldwide total should be 1,091 though. The number above doesn't include the $7.9m for Tuesday on the domestic side yet.

17 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

tuesday was $16.4m??? higher than NY day's $12m+? is the theater in europe closed on NY day?

My local theater had only 1 showing of TLJ on Monday, compared to 9 yesterday. And they were packed. So this increase doesnt suprise me based on the german/european market.

Edit: TLJ should pull a lot larger numbers OS than DOM for Wednesday and Thurday. In Hesse, Germany for example, all kids have school off till January 15th.

Edited by Brainbug